Great service at immigration - transferring visa to new passport

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Re: Great service at immigration - transferring visa to new passport

Post by europtimiste »

I look forward about recent experiences about this letter. Curious to know if its a real request or just a stupid idea coming from a civil servant.
This is a very stupid request, because:
1-When you get a new passport at your embassy in BKK, your old one is canceled, but you keep it.
2- For transfer to the new passport, they have in hand the old one.
3- They can see that the passport is full or expired.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

This thread certainly mentions the embassy letter several times. As it is free (I believe), why would anybody be making it up? viewtopic.php?f=9&t=35802
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

europtimiste wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:47 pm I look forward about recent experiences about this letter. Curious to know if its a real request or just a stupid idea coming from a civil servant.
This is a very stupid request, because:
1-When you get a new passport at your embassy in BKK, your old one is canceled, but you keep it.
2- For transfer to the new passport, they have in hand the old one.
3- They can see that the passport is full or expired.
You are correct europtimiste, a stupid idea dreamt up by somebody wanting to make life just a bit more difficult for the farang and make them jump through another hoop.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

.............and here is the thread where we were first made aware viewtopic.php?f=9&t=31154
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Johnson147
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Johnson147 »

OK sorry if I confused anyone. When I picked up my passport in soi 13 bangkok. Trendy building I got my passport and was handed a letter in English just asking immigration to transfer the visa. When I went to HH immigration they had that same letter but in thai. They asked me to also fill out the thai version also. Everything went smoothly. Just surprised as I thought may get hassle
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I needed the letter when I last got a new passport in 2014. The British Embassy knew about it and included it with the new passport without my asking for it, FOC.
I've no idea if HH Imm are still asking for it now but they wouldn't transfer the stamps at the time unless I had that letter.
Thinking about it, I'm trying to remember how the passport came to me through The Embassy because I made the application from Thailand direct to the passport office in the UK. I suppose the passport went via The Embassy on it's way to me?
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

As I wrote, will follow the story, anyway things will change until I have to do it: 2022..........let's see.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've just read the original notice from the Embassy (in the other thread). I understand now. It's a pro-forma that you fill in yourself.
How is that verification? Seems quite pointless.

2 years left on mine. Everything could change.
Johnson147
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Johnson147 »

Process
Passport full no pages
Go to soi 13 trendy building official agent for UK Gov
Fill out application for new passport and requirements
10 days later new passport arrives from UK
Collect new passport. Get to keep old one with corners clipped
When handed new passport I was also handed the letter which there was a box of 100s sat in the BKK office asking immigration to transfer my stamp. This letter was in English.
Went to HH immigration they handed me that same letter to request transfer of stamp it was in thai.
Filled that one also basically just detailing my name and passport numbers paid 500thb and 10 mins later walked out with it all done.

Apologies for confusion. Novice forum user as it states. Haha.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

My experience is that it is one of those things that differ from officer to officer and day to day. From a previous experience in China, after it was done I stapled the 2 PPtogether and carried old and new for over a year.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

oakdale160 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:55 pm My experience is that it is one of those things that differ from officer to officer and day to day.
Your experience? How many times in Thailand have you transferred visa to your new passport?
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Visa transfer to new passport is / was a free service. Had it done a while back, maybe 2 years and done for free (not HH). IO did ask for 1000 baht, and told I would not get a receipt, so I refused to pay, then asked for 500, then 100. She wanted money, so I told her to keep the F'g thing, and I'll be back tomorrow to pick it up, when the boss is there.

Went back, talked to the boss, and sadly my wife was with me, and he lectured her that she should know and teach her farang the Thai way. She wasn't having any of it.

Told him "when you steal money from him, you steal money from me" ... bye bye.
Johnson147
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Johnson147 »

Yes the letter was given to me when I recd my new passport it's just a photocopy handed to me from the office in BKK. It is headed up British embassy BKK requesting they transfer my stamp, the letter didn't come ffrom UK and as I say they have copies in HH immigration in thai. I was asked to complete exact same form in HH also so in effect two. One on thai. One in English.