Legal fees and lawyer

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
duan

Re: Legal fees and lawyer

Post by duan »

Many apologies for my breach of forum etiquette.
Ratsima i have sent you a a PM.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:35 am
Takiap wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:28 am Do you really need a lawyer in the first place if you are paying cash?

When we purchased our land, I went and drew out the money, and then we went to the land office with the seller. Once everything was done and signed, we handed over the money and went home with everything we needed, no lawyers required.

:cheers:
I think that buying land is a lot more straightforward, but the OP is talking about buying a Condo, so needs to be a bit more careful and make sure there are no hidden problems.
I don't want to go too far off topic, but I'm curious - even buying land, wouldn't it be good to check there are no disputes in the courts with neighbours over boundaries or dimensions, also ensuring no legal caveats on use of the land (TIT, I know, but I'm guessing such things can exist even here), and so on?
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

That is exactly what the lawyer does, they check if for future developments which may impact the property such as a road, they also check if the seller has the right to sell and that there are no caveats or lien's against the property. With a condo they would no doubt check the main building owner has not used the building as collateral for some thing else.
Considering the price of a condo the legal fee is relatively minimal.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

StevePIraq wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:26 am That is exactly what the lawyer does, they check if for future developments which may impact the property such as a road, they also check if the seller has the right to sell and that there are no caveats or lien's against the property. With a condo they would no doubt check the main building owner has not used the building as collateral for some thing else.
Considering the price of a condo the legal fee is relatively minimal.
Of course. My reply was only to the effect that someone had said that a lawyer is not necessary for land (not property) purchase.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

I would say a lawyer is definitely necessary for land.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

404cameljockey wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:14 am
Takiap wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:28 am Do you really need a lawyer in the first place if you are paying cash?

When we purchased our land, I went and drew out the money, and then we went to the land office with the seller. Once everything was done and signed, we handed over the money and went home with everything we needed, no lawyers required.

:cheers:
I think that buying land is a lot more straightforward, but the OP is talking about buying a Condo, so needs to be a bit more careful and make sure there are no hidden problems.
I don't want to go too far off topic, but I'm curious - even buying land, wouldn't it be good to check there are no disputes in the courts with neighbours over boundaries or dimensions, also ensuring no legal caveats on use of the land (TIT, I know, but I'm guessing such things can exist even here), and so on?
I guess I just trust average people and land office staff more than I trust lawyers. :) :duck:

Maybe we were just fortunate when we bought our land. Same when we had our house built. No complicated contracts or the like. Gave the builder the plans and agreed on payments. No problems at all. :thumb:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Takiap wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:45 am
404cameljockey wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:14 am

I guess I just trust average people and land office staff more than I trust lawyers. :) :duck:

Maybe we were just fortunate when we bought our land. Same when we had our house built. No complicated contracts or the like. Gave the builder the plans and agreed on payments. No problems at all. :thumb:
Yes I'd say lucky also, but I admire your faith in people.

I think there's also something to be said for a good attitude on one side engendering a good attitude in return. If you try too hard to tie everything up in a thousand contract clauses, you lose the goodwill, and if something goes wrong the willingness to compromise over it goes out of the window. Maybe.