10 year visas now available, can somebody tell immigration

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
bluelagoon

Re: 10 year visas now available, can somebody tell immigration

Post by bluelagoon »

europtimiste wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:46 pm
bluelagoon wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:17 pm I would not trust a Thai bank with 3 million left in an account...if the amount was 1 million perhaps....
And what about people who lost their savings with US and Iceland banks ????
Very true. All the more reason if you can do so in your country, to put savings in banks within countries that guarantee the government will refund upto € 100'000,-- in case of bankrupcy. Thailand has such a scheme but guess...only valid for locals and not the poor expat farangs !
Nonsense is better then no sense :laugh:
bluelagoon

Post by bluelagoon »

After what happened to the "to big to fail" globan US banking player, I humbly consider that in banking, anything can happen to any bank, anywhere. The only security a consumer would have is to have it in a country (like Switzerland) where the government gives a guarantee of around €100'000,-- /per bank so you can split in different banks, in case of bankrupcy. EU banks provide the same, but the service in Swiss banks is upto the level of their reputation. Of course, I am not promiting tax evasion naturally as any bank a/c abroad must be declared in your country.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

bluelagoon wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:41 pm After what happened to the "to big to fail" globan US banking player, I humbly consider that in banking, anything can happen to any bank, anywhere. The only security a consumer would have is to have it in a country (like Switzerland) where the government gives a guarantee of around €100'000,-- /per bank so you can split in different banks, in case of bankrupcy. EU banks provide the same, but the service in Swiss banks is upto the level of their reputation. Of course, I am not promiting tax evasion naturally as any bank a/c abroad must be declared in your country.
Well you would be better off putting your money in Norwegian banks since they have nearly a 200,000 pound guarantee on you funds per account/bank (varies with exchange rate, but if I'm not mistaken the amount is 2 million Norwegian Kroner). And as far as I know Norway has also enforced stricter laws/requirements for the solidity of the banks meaning how much revenue reserves they must keep on hand.
YNWA
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

It's been a while since this was announced so I was just wondering, has anybody tried to apply for this (or heard any reports of people trying to do so) in Hua Hin yet? And if so, what was the outcome? I have read information in 'the other place' that anyone who has tried to apply for the new ten-year visas in Bangkok or Pattaya has been told they're not available from inside Thailand, only from your home country. This despite various announcements (including the one in the OP) saying you can apply at any immigration office.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

You don't "tell immigration" anything, you only answer questions.
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

End of January, when I made my 1 year extension (retirement) I asked the officer about this visa. Only to see, if he knows about it. I dont have the money to make it. And he knew a lot about it. You can apply in Thailand, but you must have the 3 Million Baht already one year on an account and you have to have a Thai health insurance, even if you have already a foreign insurance with much better coverage.
bluelagoon

Post by bluelagoon »

huahin4ever wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:47 pm
bluelagoon wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:41 pm After what happened to the "to big to fail" globan US banking player, I humbly consider that in banking, anything can happen to any bank, anywhere. The only security a consumer would have is to have it in a country (like Switzerland) where the government gives a guarantee of around €100'000,-- /per bank so you can split in different banks, in case of bankrupcy. EU banks provide the same, but the service in Swiss banks is upto the level of their reputation. Of course, I am not promiting tax evasion naturally as any bank a/c abroad must be declared in your country.
Well you would be better off putting your money in Norwegian banks since they have nearly a 200,000 pound guarantee on you funds per account/bank (varies with exchange rate, but if I'm not mistaken the amount is 2 million Norwegian Kroner). And as far as I know Norway has also enforced stricter laws/requirements for the solidity of the banks meaning how much revenue reserves they must keep on hand.
That was a sensible decision from Norway.