24 hour immigration report back requirement?

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: 24 hour immigration report back requirement?

Post by StevePIraq »

@Nick, If you are on a retirement visa you MUST do a 90 day report, I can only assume you are not on a retirement visa
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Nick NCFC

Post by Nick NCFC »

StevePIraq wrote:@Nick, If you are on a retirement visa you MUST do a 90 day report, I can only assume you are not on a retirement visa
Yes have a visa based on retirement but always go back to the UK before my 90 days is up and then get another 90 days on my return.

Interestingly just been chatting to a friend who did his extension in Korat and his wife got an 800 Baht fine for not doing a 24 hour report. Seems like as usual different offices have a different interpretation of the rules. I also know that Brit Jim who posts on here was told exactly the same as me when he did his in Hua Hin last week.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

StevePIraq wrote:@Nick, If you are on a retirement visa you MUST do a 90 day report, I can only assume you are not on a retirement visa
The type of visa has nothing to do with it. The rule is report your address AFTER 90 days in the Kingdom.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Let's get the 90-day business out of the way. Nick made it clear he was never here for 90 days at a stretch.

Seems to me there are 2 different requirements being discussed here. One is the main topic, i.e. reporting in person to Immigration within 24 hrs of your arrival, the other is the requirement of the host/landlord/hotel to report the arrival of a foreign national on their premises within 24 hrs.

The first is absurd, but the second has a certain logic to it, though I doubt it is properly managed (too unwieldy).

I believe the 1st requirement technically also applies to travelling from one province to another (not sure about this, but it rings a bell...). That would be hilarious if strictly applied, as it would mean anyone travelling between HH (PrachuapK) and Cha-am (Petchaburi) on a regular basis would spend all their time queuing at Immigration.

I've never reported to Immigration anywhere within 24 hrs of arriving, nor has my Thai wife or my Thai landlord ever reported my return. I would certainly never ask about such a requirement, any more than I would ask how I could make a donation to the Police benefit fund.
This is the way
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The host/landlord/hotel report is done thousands of time a day by hotels, but they apparently have a way of reporting on-line, so I am told, with the guest's details including passport and TM number etc. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

in Market Village at 11:00 to obtain my finance letter, I was driving to The Baguette to meet my son for lunch, everything completed at 11:59.
Tsk,tsk, speeding through town! :rasta:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

prcscct wrote:The host/landlord/hotel report is done thousands of time a day by hotels, but they apparently have a way of reporting on-line, so I am told, with the guest's details including passport and TM number etc. Pete
There was a news item not that long ago about a group of Japanese tourist skinny-dipping in HH. However silly the story, I remember thinking at the time that if HH police wanted to identify them, it shouldn't need more than 2 minutes on the computer...

But of course, the aspect that affects most of us 'residents' is not hotels, but the householder or landlord.
This is the way
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

He didn't make a big deal of it just said in future she (not me) needed to report anyone staying at her house (non Thai) within 24 hours of their arrival.
And what happens if you own a Condo? You are then the landlord. Are you supposed to report yourself? It is a whole lot of bovine ordure, and best left to others to worry about.
Nick NCFC

Post by Nick NCFC »

Nereus wrote:
He didn't make a big deal of it just said in future she (not me) needed to report anyone staying at her house (non Thai) within 24 hours of their arrival.
And what happens if you own a Condo? You are then the landlord. Are you supposed to report yourself? It is a whole lot of bovine ordure, and best left to others to worry about.
I assume you've answered your own question and was not worried in the slightest merely thought it would be interesting to share with others my experience.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Nereus wrote:
in Market Village at 11:00 to obtain my finance letter, I was driving to The Baguette to meet my son for lunch, everything completed at 11:59.
Tsk,tsk, speeding through town! :rasta:
It wouldn't be the first time I'd broken the speed limit :oops: , but traffic was actually running quite slow, and i couldn't have, even if I'd wanted to, which makes it even more remarkable.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18