Thai girlfriend wants to visit U.S. How to obtain Tourist Visa

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Thai girlfriend wants to visit U.S. How to obtain Tourist Visa

Post by jumusman »

I have a Thai girlfriend that I would like to bring to the U.S on holiday for a few weeks. I was wondering if anyone has experience with doing this before. She has spoken to her friends and said that it would be quite difficult for her seeing as she is still in University and does not have a job. Someone told her that she will need to have at least $3000 USD in the bank and be able to prove it.

I understand the reason for this, U.S Immigration will want to make sure she will not arrive and stay in the country illegally, that makes sense. She also says its easier for someone with a high paying job in Thailand to get a visa because they are less of a risk also.

Has anyone had experience with this ? I know she will have to go to the U.S embassy in Bangkok and they do an interview where I am not allowed to be in the room at the same time. I remember when I was living in Pattaya there was a guy named Paul King that advertised HEAVILY on TV, (Which is why I still remember his name, I guess advertising does work) and he promised a visa every time or your money back.

There is a Visa shop opposite the Train station here in Hua Hin, I was going to visit it today. Anyone know if they can work some magic that cannot be done by a farang alone ? Or will they just take my money for doing the same thing I can do by myself. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
"If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism." - Albert Einstein, 1936
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Re: Thai girlfriend wants to visit U.S. How to obtain Tourist Visa

Post by JamesWest »

no don't get ripped off by "visa shops". it is the us government that does not want your girlfriend in the country.

every woman in all of SEA wants to go to the USA and stay. not going to happen.

there is a very long list of things you will have to do to get your girlfriend a visa.

good luck.

http://www.immihelp.com/visitor-visa/vi ... ments.html
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
BOZ
Professional
Professional

Post by BOZ »

I was able to get visas for all of my sister in- laws and couple of my wife's friends... I wrote a letter on their behalf and they went to the interview... They all got their visas and a couple don't have jobs just live at home taking care of parents... Not undoable but will take some doing... The only thing I had on my side then was I had a home in the USA to use as their point of visiting... I still think it can be done.. I agree with James West on doing it yourself.... Good luck!!!!
Boz

Life is short, live it to the fullest!!!
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

JamesWest wrote:no don't get ripped off by "visa shops". it is the us government that does not want your girlfriend in the country.

every woman in all of SEA wants to go to the USA and stay. not going to happen.

there is a very long list of things you will have to do to get your girlfriend a visa.

good luck.

http://www.immihelp.com/visitor-visa/vi ... ments.html
Most poor women and men want to go to a rich country and stay, but it is difficult.

For rich women and men, it is much easier and they will be happy to come back to their country.
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

It can be quite arbitrary as to who the US gives a Tourist Visa to. One had been visiting this same women for 6 years in Thailand from the U.S. She was denied a Tourist Visa because he only came to Thailand and stayed with her on temporary tourist visa even though the visits had been going on for 6 years.

A friend of mine took his girlfriend to U.S. on Tourist Visa and she stayed for 6 months and came back on on schedule. When she re applied for another Tourist Visa to U.S. going with same man and all the same paper work she was denied because she was not married to him. She got married to him and was then granted a Tourist Visa.

Were told at the embassy interviewer that he had a Thai lady apply but was denied because her sister had gone to the U.S. then when in U.S. immediately applied for resident status in the U.S.

It all depends on the interviewer and what their program is for the day. Nothing consistent.

If your girlfriend does apply, DO IT YOURSELF and don't pay a company for "help" Not that difficult but a whole lot of paper work and everything you can do to show she will return will help.
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Post by jumusman »

Thanks for all the information, it sounds like such a crapshoot its quite disconcerting. I like the idea of writing the letter, I also have a house in Arizona that I own and can use as the address so that's a good thing. It would be quite dissapointing to go through all of this, gets someones hopes up only to have them shot down knowing she could never visit me.
"If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism." - Albert Einstein, 1936
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

you could always fly to Mexico and walk over the border... :)
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Post by jumusman »

I could. Arizona has a huge border with Mexico and they say about 1500 illegally cross every day, lets make that 1499 Mexicans and 1 Thai... :D
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

i wonder what your girlfreind would say about Arizon desert. "No water... no tree..."

if you have a friend with a pick up truck, you can walk across some ranchers land and come in that way.
canada is another route. i have property in Montana and the border is open in the forests. You just need a 4x4.
once she is in, no one can ask her about her immigration status.