Renewing UK Passport and existing visa

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Renewing UK Passport and existing visa

Post by richard »

1) British Embassy
2) Passport, pension and income details (Bank account statements going back 3 months will suffice)
3) Fee for postage and visa letter. No charge for new passport letter
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thank you for the clarification richard. That is basically what I was thinking, but you confused me (easily done :wink: ) with, "ALL pension and income letters were 3 years old." I thought that they would have to be current.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Today I activated my new passport and renewed my annual retirement visa. In and out in 20 minutes.

Took:

- Old and new passports
- Letter from the embassy confirming my income and confirming my new passport
- One photo
- 2400 baht
- copy of first page of new passport
- copies of every page of old passport
- map showing my address
- annual visa renewal form

Things to note:

- confusion over income and new passport being on one letter...soon resolved by senior official
- embassy letter must be the original .........copy not accepted
- every page of old passport was scrutinised in detail...........looking for gaps no doubt
- 500 baht charged (no receipt)for the 6 stamps and scrawls inserted on 3 pages of my new passport
- number of stamps in passport may vary depending on number of times you have re-entered Thailand
- my 90 day report was adjusted to be 90 days from today
- no stamp bears the word Retirement on it as it did in my old passport but does have a Thai word

All very smoothly done with a pleasant smile and the odd joke from the officer concerned :D
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Good to hear, Richard.
I'm going through this process for the first time and am glad to report that all docs arrived in Liverpool via EMS Thai registered mail in 4 days - and that was over a weekend.
I'll be reading the rest of the palaver when I get the new passport back.
musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

When I extended my annual OP visa last week, RETIREMENT was clearly written above the new stamp, so I guess different officers different courses.
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

All seems to be progressing OK with my passport renewal but I have a question for those who've been through the process concerning delivery of same here.
I see that the new passport will be delivered by courier but what happens if there's no-one home? Does the courier company call beforehand to fix a date and time to deliver?
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

I'm lucky insomuch as any registered post delivered to the condo is accepted and signed for by reception and I am notified. I assume a delivery to a home address where no one is present would prompt a note informing you that the letter/parcel is lodged at the main post office but I have had no experience to confirm that.
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

If its post, try to get the tracking number. I've had several tracked packages where they haven't even tried to deliver. I've only known because I've checked the tracking, and its been recorded as non-delivery, being prepared for return to sender. I've had to rush down to the PO to rescue it.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

This is coming by courier rather than post. I've certainly paid for the courier as does everyone else. The cost is included in the total.
Oh well, I'll find out within the next couple of weeks probably and will post for reference after I've got my mitts on the package - hopefully!!
Huahinian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Huahinian »

Lomo - did your new passport arrive?

When you sent the money, was it a Baht money order?

Did my 90 day report today and must report again within a week of my passport expiration date - I only have 82 days before that date.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Slightly off topic but an interesting point I've been told about.

A new UK passport contains a second page with another picture and an in-built chip to verify not only the validity of the passport but also your location. I have heard of people 'frying' the second page to invalidate the chip. Anyone else heard of this practice?

Frying involves putting the passport page in a microwave and zapping the chip.
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

richard wrote:A new UK passport contains a second page with another picture and an in-built chip to verify not only the validity of the passport but also your location
How can it tell your location? Apart from whether you have entered or left the UK. And I don't think the latter is up and running fully yet.
Talk is cheap
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Hasn't arrived yet nor have I had any notification that one has been issued.
The trail, so far is:
Feb 20 - out of HH by EMS
Feb 24 - received and signed for in Liverpool.
Money taken a few days later. A straight debit from my UK card.
Since then, nothing.
The gods say to wait AT LEAST 4 weeks so that passed yesterday.
My passport expires on May 22. I'm not too worried yet bearing in mind the suggested lead times, but....
There's a contact thing I'm found https://eforms.homeoffice.gov.uk/outrea ... iries.ofml
I'll wait until the end of this week and then think about sending the bloody form.
Did my 90 day yesterday and there wasn't a problem and they've given me till after my passport expires. No way that's right and I won't rely on it. Mind you, I do have a stamp saying that my extension will be extended after the expiry of my passport. I got that about 2 weeks before the new regulations came in.
Time will tell.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Just received this from a friend in Isaan

CHANGES TO BRITISH PASSPORT SERVICES IN THAILAND

Her Majesty's Passport Office is making important changes to the way it delivers British passports overseas. The goal is to ensure that all British nationals living overseas receive a consistent, trusted, secure and efficient service whilst keeping the costs as low as possible. In order to do that, on 10 December 2013, responsibility for handling passport applications in Thailand passed from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office to Her Majesty's Passport Office.

Following on from this, from 26 March 2014, British nationals in Thailand will submit passport applications, in person by appointment only, to the UK Visa Application Centre in Bangkok. All the information needed to complete the passport application process, including the address and contact details for the UK Visa Application Centre, are available on GOV.UK at https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

This change may seem inconvenient, but the new measures being put in place support the wider public protection, helping to ensure that the risks of fraud and identity theft are minimised for those living and working overseas.

If you need to travel urgently but your passport is not available, you should still contact the Consular Assistance Team at the British Embassy in Bangkok on tel +66 2 305 8333+66 2 305 8333 or e-mail consularenquiriesbangkok@fco.gov.uk In certain circumstances Consular staff may be able to issue an Emergency Travel Document, but this is not a substitute for a full UK passport. So the best course of action is to apply as early as possible, and to make sure that you follow the new guidelines.

Please note that Consular staff at the Embassy in Bangkok will not be able to take calls about individual passport applications and they cannot countersign passport applications. If you cannot find the information you need on GOV.UK you should contact the Passport Adviceline on +44 300 222 0000 (operates from 8am-8pm UK time) or e-mail: overseasNewportCCC@hmpo.gsi.gov.uk

[Mod edit: fixed formatting to enhance readability.]
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

What a fiasco to get a passport - travel to Bangkok to submit your application and then the same again to collect it, so from HH about a 6+ hour return journey each time and if you go by taxi, at least 2000 baht each time on top of your passport fee.