ATM Problem

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Big Boy

ATM Problem

Post by Big Boy »

I went to the Kasikorn ATM at the 7-11 near the Soi 88 Railway Crossing earlier today and tried to draw 5,000 Baht. The machine kept me waiting, and waiting, and waiting. During the waiting period, it was displaying a message, "Processing Transaction". The screen then went red, and displayed a timeout message, and returned my card. The machine then displayed as Out of Order. I just thought it was inconvenient.

A couple of hours later, I went to the ATM at the 7-11 outside Wittayacomp School and drew 5,000 Baht. Still having the aborted transaction in the back of my mind I took a transaction slip that displays the closing balance. I was pretty sure my balance had reduced by 10,000 Baht.

I got straight on to my Internet Banking, and sure enough, I was 10,000 Baht down on yesterday's closing balance.

I will check again tomorrow morning to make sure the error hasn't corrected itself. If not, I'll be straight down to the bank. However, it's going to be my word against theirs if they disagree. Mentally, I've already written the 5,000 Baht off.

Has anybody ever had a similar experience? If yes, what did you do? Did they believe you?

I'll report the outcome tomorrow.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Re: ATM Problem

Post by richard »

I never ATM it at 711's or tourist places. Inside a bank or some other inside location. Been 'cloned' twice so now over cautious. 711's are also renowned for running short of cash
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Inside a bank every time seems to defeat the object of an ATM. Just as well wait a few minutes more, and not have an ATM card at all. No problem with the 7-11 running out of cash - I've actually experienced that at my bank as well. However, it shouldn't still take money out of my account.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

It happened to me in chumphon last year with kasikorn,i took it to the bank straight away,the teller told me it happens every now and then,in fact she said it happened to her a few months before.The money was put back in my account a few days later.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

That happened to me the other day I went into the bank straight away, they verified the machine had not paid out the cash and corrected it, you need to get down to the bank quickly to sort it out. Good luck.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That's reassuring jingjoe and lindosfan, thank you. I'll be down there at opening time tomorrow.

Points 48; Position 18
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

BB I hope you sort this as jingjoe and myself went into the bank straight away.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The bank had closed by the time I'd made the second transaction, and I'd got home the check for definite on Internet Banking.

As richard said, these 7-11 ATMs often run out of cash, so it was no surprise that the first incident happened. However, this the first time I've had the money taken.

Points 48; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:That's reassuring jingjoe and lindosfan, thank you. I'll be down there at opening time tomorrow.
Are they open on Saturday?
Sabai Sabai
Professional
Professional

Post by Sabai Sabai »

Dannie Boy wrote:
Big Boy wrote:That's reassuring jingjoe and lindosfan, thank you. I'll be down there at opening time tomorrow.
Are they open on Saturday?
Market Village branch are open Saturday definitely, I don't know for sure either way the other branch on Petchkasem
:cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, mine is the Market Village branch.

[Edit] I've just checked - the problem hasn't been corrected overnight. :cry:

Points 48; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I was there for the 11am opening. Mrs BB spoke to the girl on the door, and we were immediately ushered to a customer services desk. They checked the problem, and then phoned somebody on a mobile phone. A lot of detail was passed to and fro, then the phone was passed to me.

The girl on the other end was pleased to tell me that I didn't have a problem. My balance this morning was the same as my closing balance yesterday :?

It then seemed to take an eternity to explain that my balance at close of play yesterday was 10,000 Baht down on the previous closing balance, but I'd only drawn 5,000 Baht.

Eventually, the girl on the phone said that they would investigate. If they could find a fault with the ATM, money would be put back into my account Monday. What happens if they can't find a fault? I'm not sure. I am not hopeful.

If I've lost my money, I don't know what the answer is. I guess this could happen to anybody at any bank's ATM (ATMs are machines, and will go wrong - richard's solution of only using ATMs in a bank carry the exact same risk). The only workable solution is don't take the risk, and give up the ATM card. Is the risk worth the inconvenience of having to go to the bank to draw money each time? If I decide the risk is worth taking, maybe I'll only draw 500 Baht at a time - less money to lose.

Points 48; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:I was there for the 11am opening. Mrs BB spoke to the girl on the door, and we were immediately ushered to a customer services desk. They checked the problem, and then phoned somebody on a mobile phone. A lot of detail was passed to and fro, then the phone was passed to me.

The girl on the other end was pleased to tell me that I didn't have a problem. My balance this morning was the same as my closing balance yesterday :?

It then seemed to take an eternity to explain that my balance at close of play yesterday was 10,000 Baht down on the previous closing balance, but I'd only drawn 5,000 Baht.

Eventually, the girl on the phone said that they would investigate. If they could find a fault with the ATM, money would be put back into my account Monday. What happens if they can't find a fault? I'm not sure. I am not hopeful.

If I've lost my money, I don't know what the answer is. I guess this could happen to anybody at any bank's ATM (ATMs are machines, and will go wrong - richard's solution of only using ATMs in a bank carry the exact same risk). The only workable solution is don't take the risk, and give up the ATM card. Is the risk worth the inconvenience of having to go to the bank to draw money each time? If I decide the risk is worth taking, maybe I'll only draw 500 Baht at a time - less money to lose.
From my experience in HH, they don't actually have ATM's inside the banks like they do in the UK, they are normally on the wall outside. They be be under better surveillance than an ATM at a 7-11, but still vulnerable to those with a mind to commit fraud, but this still doesn't deal with the problem of ATM's malfunctioning. I guess you could use a bank for larger withdrawals when it's convenient, but then you have to take the risk of keeping the money at home (in a safe?) which not everybody is happy to do.

I can only comment on my own experience, which is that I have never had a problem using an ATM anywhere in the world, so I'm not sure whether I have been very lucky, or those that have posted have been very unlucky?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote:I can only comment on my own experience, which is that I have never had a problem using an ATM anywhere in the world, so I'm not sure whether I have been very lucky, or those that have posted have been very unlucky?
Neither had I until yesterday. I've had machines go wrong on me, but I've never lost money.

Points 48; Position 18
zevon
Amateur
Amateur

Post by zevon »

Big Boy wrote:
Neither had I until yesterday. I've had machines go wrong on me, but I've never lost money.
And neither have you ............................................................................yet.

Don't give up hope.
It should be a simple matter to resolve. The bank knows and has records of how much money was in the atm machine and how much has been requested by customers in any given period.
Simple bookkeeping should result in there being an "extra" 5000 baht in the atm machine.

Unfortunately I have often found in Thailand what I consider to be 'simple' things have taken an eternity and things which I believe "complex" are sorted in an instant.

Have patience and go see your bank manager and explain the problem to him/her