Tips for recycling and reducing plastic use in Thailand

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Tips for recycling and reducing plastic use in Thailand

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:30 pm Shopping Bags to put your shopping into? Else how does one transport the shopping to retrieve the bags, which are now trapped the wrong side of the security point?
The same way that you do it at Macro!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I won't pay excessive prices in the other places, so I'm afraid I'll continue to accept their bags until they see sense. I'm sorry.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:06 pm I won't pay excessive prices in the other places, so I'm afraid I'll continue to accept their bags until they see sense. I'm sorry.
"Sense"? You may not live long enough to see that in Thailand.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I see that Villa Market has a sign up stating that if you use one of their reusable shopping bags(80 Baht each), you will receive 5 points on their loyalty card. I guess it is a start. I did not ask if you can take them into the shop. :rasta:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Not much but it's a start. I hope they increase the amount of days per month once there is initial acceptance. Pete :cheers:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30350930

b79ce9a9b0e2b1c198c6570af70e5c8c.jpeg
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
JWWhite
Professional
Professional

Post by JWWhite »

Straws don’t pollute oceans. People do.
MY in BS full of BS.
“When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.” Stephen Jay Gould
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

That's the guns don't kill people, people kill people argument. If there weren't plastic straws people wouldn't throw them away and if there weren't guns people wouldn't shoot people. I'm starting an NPS group; No Plastic Straws. We'll be signing up members and lobbying governments to ban plastic straws. I guarantee we'll be every bit as effective as the NRA. Or maybe a counter NRA group; No Rifles Allowed. If we didn't have plastic straws how would fish drink? They aren't able to hold glasses or cups.
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

handdrummer wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:59 pm If we didn't have plastic straws how would fish drink? They aren't able to hold glasses or cups.
that's quite anti-fish! :|

stop being so (....opens other screen to find the damn word again.....)

oh yes,

stop being so vituperative towards fish :P :thumb:
JWWhite
Professional
Professional

Post by JWWhite »

In the public campaign to demonize plastic drinking straws, almost all the stories are oriented around a single stat plastic straw pollution — “500 million straws are used and discarded by Americans every day.” The New York Times cited the figure as recently as last week. But this stat is the result of data gathered by — wait for it — a single nine-year-old environmental advocate, as reported by Christian Britschgi of Reason back in January.
At the time Britschgi reported it, he noticed that the figure has been cited in nearly every major media outlet that’s covered the supposedly paramount environmental risk posed by plastic straws, including, but not limited to: CNN, The Washington Post, and Reuters.
https://theoutline.com/post/5416/the-on ... i=5xqz7o5o
MY in BS full of BS.
“When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.” Stephen Jay Gould
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Nereus wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:01 pm I see that Villa Market has a sign up stating that if you use one of their reusable shopping bags(80 Baht each), you will receive 5 points on their loyalty card. I guess it is a start. I did not ask if you can take them into the shop. :rasta:
Saw the same sign earlier in VM at Thonglor.
20180730_171240.jpg
20180730_171240.jpg (53.41 KiB) Viewed 446 times
The re-usable bags cost 80 baht. We didn't buy one as we were already using our own.
Talk is cheap
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

MDMK wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:37 pm
handdrummer wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:59 pm If we didn't have plastic straws how would fish drink? They aren't able to hold glasses or cups.
that's quite anti-fish! :|

stop being so (....opens other screen to find the damn word again.....)

oh yes,

stop being so vituperative towards fish :P :thumb:
Ecktually, I was being sympathetic towards the fish population and merely pointing out their physical disposition, mustn't say handicap, having to due with imbibing liquids. :bow: :alien:
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

handdrummer wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:03 pm
Ecktually, I was being sympathetic towards the fish population and merely pointing out their physical disposition, mustn't say handicap, having to due with imbibing liquids. :bow: :alien:
I was just looking for a sentence, any sentence, to use the word vituperative in. :thumb: :mrgreen:

so I am not completely off topic... can I remind folks if they're interested... stainless steel straws are to be had at Pae Mai market in packs of 2. Cost peanuts and work perfectly well. (just not for fish :P ).
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

MDMK wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:14 pm
handdrummer wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:03 pm
I was just looking for a sentence, any sentence, to use the word vituperative in. :thumb: :mrgreen:

so I am not completely off topic... can I remind folks if they're interested... stainless steel straws are to be had at Pae Mai market in packs of 2. Cost peanuts and work perfectly well. (just not for fish :P ).
Once I had a pair of vituperative shoes, I left them outside a hotel room door somewhere in the Midwest of America.

I like the stainless steel straw idea. where is the Pae Mia market?
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

:oops:
handdrummer wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:30 pm
I like the stainless steel straw idea. where is the Pae Mia market?
It's a brave ( or foolish. Hehe) man who asks me for directions. Do please check these with someone with better road sense than me.

From the Phetkasem Road take soi 70... go over the railway line ... so at the roundabout on soi 70 you go straight ahead.... take a right at the next main junction, the carry on for roughly 200 meters and take a right (in the bend). Then it's on your right. Loads of big shipping containers converted into make shift shops. Tuesday is the main night with most stalls. Not sure if it's open other nights in low season. It's my favourite Hua Hin market.
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

Handrummer. if this makes sense to you it might be easier... it's where the old driving range used to be.