Tips for recycling and reducing plastic use in Thailand

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Big Boy

Re: Tips for recycling and reducing plastic use in Thailand

Post by Big Boy »

This is all good stuff, but for me, the first and most important part is to remove restrictions on carrying bags into supermarkets.

Yes, I've heard the lucky ones who get their bags into the store, but not this happy shopper. It's bad enough being dragged to the shops every day, but then having to face the indignity of not being allowed to take my reusable bag with me :cuss: I have been refused, and until they lift the restriction, I WILL play their stupid games, and accept their plastic bags.

SORRY.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Where does this happen BB? I have never experienced that, anywhere in Thailand.
Talk is cheap
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It happens a lot in places like Lotus, Big C etc., but admittedly more so in the past than now. At times store security gets a bug up their butt, or instructions from on high if shoplifting has been a recent issue, and they start to enforce it again. They check the insides of women's purses and kid's backpacks as well on the way out. The wife says it is really hit and miss though over here in the East. No particular pattern and no store worse than the other. She's never had a problem at major food stores like Tops, Foodland, Villa, Makro etc., as they give/sell reusable bags so they expect to see them brought back and used. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

All supermarkets as far as I know, but definitely Tesco where we do the majority of our shop, and is where we were stopped trying - there is a sign saying so. We've been stopped at G Supermarket in the past as well.

Thinking about it, the old shopping mall as well - they have, or at least used to have a sign stating no shopping bags beyond this point - that has been there long before we moved here.

I can't really comment on Villa or Gourmet - I can't afford to shop in those.

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Thinking about it, the old shopping mall as well - they have, or at least used to have a sign stating no shopping bags beyond this point - that has been there long before we moved here.
Yes, that sign has been there for many years, but it does not mean your own shopping bags. You cannot put your goods through the "front" checkout, and then walk through the shop to the rear door. The last time that I wanted to do that the manager grudgingly tied up the top of the bag, and allowed me to take it as I needed something that was down that end of the shop.

I do not know what the policy is with BigC, but I will find out, as I regularly see Farang ladies with their own bags in Bangkok. But what you have posted does not surprise me one little bit!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:04 pm All supermarkets as far as I know, but definitely Tesco where we do the majority of our shop, and is where we were stopped trying - there is a sign saying so. We've been stopped at G Supermarket in the past as well.

I can't really comment on Villa or Gourmet - I can't afford to shop in those.
I haven't been in Tesco for a while but you used to be able to leave your bag at the security counter at the front and they gave you a plastic number to get it back so if you're not alone, I suppose one of you could get it and go to the other side of the checkout. The old shopping mall was the same, there is a place to leave bags just before you go into the supermarket.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, that is correct, but a lot of faffing about, when its totally unnecessary.

Points 41; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:10 pm Yes, that is correct, but a lot of faffing about, when its totally unnecessary.
It’s probably an unfortunate reflection that a lot of people taking bags in have used them to conceal unpaid for items - this catches the mainly honest shoppers with the rogues!!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Sorry, I thought this was about plastic shopping bags, not what you carry your whatever in. :?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, it is about the reduction of plastic shopping bags, which in my case, would be reduced to zero if the shops saw sense.

Points 41; Position 18
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

Nereus wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:55 pm Sorry, I thought this was about plastic shopping bags, not what you carry your whatever in. :?
if people exchange thoughts on which bag they carry their whatevers in, then maybe less plastic bags will be used. Maybe one of those foldaway to the size of a wallet nylon bags would be an idea for BB in Tesco's. I suggest that not to share how I shop or which bags I use. Just more a tip that just might help to reduce plastic.

NOTE: poor example just used, those foldaway to a wallet size bags are great for small odds and ends, but useless for a big supermarket shop.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:07 pm No, it is about the reduction of plastic shopping bags, which in my case, would be reduced to zero if the shops saw sense.
Which has exactly what to with leaving your personal bags outside the shop?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Shopping Bags to put your shopping into? Else how does one transport the shopping to retrieve the bags, which are now trapped the wrong side of the security point?

Points 41; Position 18
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

Nereus wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:01 pm
Big Boy wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:07 pm No, it is about the reduction of plastic shopping bags, which in my case, would be reduced to zero if the shops saw sense.
Which has exactly what to with leaving your personal bags outside the shop?
If BB, and everyone else like him, could bring reusable bags INTO the shop less plastic bags would be used. Surely you can see that.

By making people leave their reusable bags at a service counter they're putting unnecessary hurdles in place for the customers.

We use too much plastic already, what the planet doesn't need is shops putting hurdles in place when people would use reusable if the hurdles weren't there.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I had forgotten about the old shopping mall. I recall having issues there about something or other but can't think what it was.

And I hardly ever go to Tesco, but I have never had a problem at Villa, Gourmet Market or TOPS anywhere, including Hua Hin. Makro is different as they check the goods after purchase, so I leave the bag in the car.

I thought about this when I went to Gourmet Market earlier, there is no specific security at the entrance to the supermarket, as there isn't really a specific entrance, there are several, plus being able to walk thought any of the empty till lanes.

To be honest, in this day and age, if any store said to me I couldn't take my own bag in, I probably wouldn't shop there in future.
Talk is cheap