Tips for recycling and reducing plastic use in Thailand

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Big Boy

Re: Tips for recycling and reducing plastic use in Thailand

Post by Big Boy »

There are a few roads around Hua Hin that have become dumping grounds as well.

The Thai lady next door has built her own rubbish tip in the road, outside of her house :shock: . The dogs have great fun chasing the rats :cuss:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
JWWhite
Professional
Professional

Post by JWWhite »

NEW YORK (AP) — Now that plastic straws may be headed for extinction, could Americans' love of balloons be deflated?

The joyous celebration of releasing balloons into the air has long bothered environmentalists, who say the pieces that fall back to earth can be deadly to seabirds and turtles that eat them. So as companies vow to banish plastic straws, there are signs balloons will be among the products to get more scrutiny, even though they're a very small part of environmental pollution.

This year, college football powerhouse Clemson University is ending its tradition of releasing 10,000 balloons into the air before games, a move that's part of its sustainability efforts. In Virginia, a campaign that urges alternatives to balloon releases at weddings is expanding. And a town in Rhode Island outright banned the sale of all balloons earlier this year, citing the harm to marine life.
https://www.tampabay.com/a-rising-conce ... 9bc58caf89
MY in BS full of BS.
“When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.” Stephen Jay Gould
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

If balloons are going, condoms might be next, better stock up.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

oakdale160 wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:33 am If balloons are going, condoms might be next, better stock up.
Actually, there are probably a lot more condoms flushed out to sea than balloons
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Some change is beginning a ripple. The below is from a 7-11 in Koh Tao. Hopefully all 7-11's will follow suit.

Plastic.jpg
Plastic.jpg (87.52 KiB) Viewed 1249 times
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

This idea may have legs. It seems to have been in development since 2014 and appears ready to go into commercial production soon. A lot more to read/see if you Google "edible water pods". Pete :cheers:

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
JWWhite
Professional
Professional

Post by JWWhite »

MY in BS full of BS.
“When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.” Stephen Jay Gould
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Clean Hua Hin's beaches movement - Trash Hero

Post by StevePIraq »

Interesting - BBC the-plastic-smokers-leave-behind, don't know why the link doesn't show

https://www.bbc.com/news/video_and_audi ... ave-behind

Mod Edit: Use the URL (chain link button) at the top of each post screen and insert your link between it. If the link has a video, like the BBC almost always does, the forum system will try to display the video instead of the link.
Last edited by PeteC on Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Re: Clean Hua Hin's beaches movement - Trash Hero

Post by MDMK »

StevePIraq wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:15 pm Interesting - BBC the-plastic-smokers-leave-behind, m will try to display the video instead of the link.[/i]
shit! I clicked on that link "knowing" I was on on moral safe ground as I always carried a tin ashtray thingy with a lid when I smoked. :|

Then I saw the film about putting a cigarette down a drain is the same as throwing it on a beach. And that the butt is made of plastic. I had NO idea. I always thought I was being responsible putting a cigarette butt down a drain. I must be naive as hell but I assumed they were biodegradable paper(y) things. I don't understand that isn't widely (if at all) publicized. Instead of the pics of of black lungs and dead babies on the packaging, risks we've all known for the last 40 yrs, state this on the pack!
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
buksida

Post by buksida »

7-Eleven launches campaign to 'reduce and stop' use of plastic bags
Following its “7 Go Green” policy, CP All, the founder of 7-Eleven in Thailand, has begun a campaign to “reduce and stop” plastic bags at its stores nationwide.

In a press release issued by the company on Thursday, Tanin Buranamanit Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of CP All, the founder of 7-Eleven in Thailand, said that CP All has initiated the project to encourage the public to reduce and stop plastic bags since 2007. The firm said it is determined to nourish sustainable environment via the company’s various programs, in accordance with CP ALL’s brand purpose “giving and sharing opportunities for all”.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30358155
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Confusing. They've been doing this since 2007? Who knew? And now it's news?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Gotta be a typo - they've probably handed out 400 billion plastic bags since 2007.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Africa can do it but not many others.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/stories-461 ... -should-we
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've pointed this out several times thinking that Africans doing more than Thailand and considering what the Thais think of Africans you'd think they'd have a little shame.
Doesn't seem to work though.