Biggest Benefit to Being Expat

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Biggest Benefit to Being Expat

Post by RCer »

For me, the biggest benefit is not living under the delusion I have any rights.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Biggest Benefit to Being Expat

Post by StevePIraq »

RCer wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:39 am For me, the biggest benefit is not living under the delusion I have any rights.
This is so true for an expat in many countries and we have to accept it.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Not living under the oppression of the politically correct and having to listen to morons about how to live my life.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Making everyone back home sick with my tax-free idle life in the sun, and crowing about how cheap everything is. :)
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

RCer wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:39 am For me, the biggest benefit is not living under the delusion I have any rights.
Nice.......

.......also love the basically no RE Taxes, or forced healthcare that doesn't cover anything. Yea, I'm a Yank.
Too much PC and special interest groups in the ol' nanny state. Sorry life back there in the USA.
Taikka
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Taikka »

404cameljockey wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:28 pm ...crowing about how cheap everything is. :)
Hm, thats why there are no expats from my country... it is not cheap at all for my countrymen...
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Taikka wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:42 pm
404cameljockey wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:28 pm ...crowing about how cheap everything is. :)
Hm, thats why there are no expats from my country... it is not cheap at all for my countrymen...
But weather is better maybe! Thailand is so much cheaper than the places I lived before, I can't get over it yet. I wish I'd been here a few years ago when rates of exchange (Pound and Dollar) were better than now.
aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon »

404cameljockey wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:36 pmBut weather is better maybe! Thailand is so much cheaper than the places I lived before, I can't get over it yet. I wish I'd been here a few years ago when rates of exchange (Pound and Dollar) were better than now.
When the rates were better it was cheap, but not so much now. When we bought our house off plan in 2006 and made the initial payment it was £1 = Thb72, but every time we made a progress payment during the far too lengthy construction period, it got more expensive until that great deal in the sun, was not so great anymore :naughty:

Still I'm still working, for a couple more years anyway and we are only part time residents in HH, but we still really enjoy it whenever we get there, even it it's not the huge bargain it used to be :thumb:
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

It'll be a few years before the pound/dollar recovers properly after the dust settles from what's going on atm in both places but it's certainly true about how good the lifestyle was back in the day here. This was one of the best things about being an expat here back then as to live a comparable lifestyle in the UK would have required a significantly large income which is beyond possibility for many.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Being an expat is not just about Thailand and the OP did not mention being an expat in Thailand.
I have been an expat for 36 years and will never go back to live in the UK. My brother sums it up best as follows:

I have been lucky enough to travel extensively, visit countless countries, stay in amazing hotels, meet amazing people and experience so many fantastic cultures and all paid for by the companies I have worked for. And I have only paid tax for a few of those 36 years.

I grumble and complain but I really have no right to.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

StevePIraq wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:18 pm Being an expat is not just about Thailand and the OP did not mention being an expat in Thailand.
I have been an expat for 36 years and will never go back to live in the UK. My brother sums it up best as follows:

I have been lucky enough to travel extensively, visit countless countries, stay in amazing hotels, meet amazing people and experience so many fantastic cultures and all paid for by the companies I have worked for. And I have only paid tax for a few of those 36 years.

I grumble and complain but I really have no right to.
Exactly. Although most of my travel was military resulting in having to pay taxes on my pay.

Going to various countries I knew I had no rights, unlike many of my fellow service members who always got in trouble.

But I've met amazing people and had wonderful experiences.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Spitfire wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:12 pm It'll be a few years before the pound/dollar recovers properly after the dust settles from what's going on atm in both places but it's certainly true about how good the lifestyle was back in the day here. This was one of the best things about being an expat here back then as to live a comparable lifestyle in the UK would have required a significantly large income which is beyond possibility for many.
People that remember that it was better in the past ignore the fact that it's still much cheaper in terms of most things: property rental, insurances of all types, petrol, takeaway food, eating in top restaurants, beer, etc. etc. Having lived in London and Dubai in the past I can see clearly the big price differences even at current rates of exchange. If people want to live solely on imported foods and drinks then I guess they may miss a few of the advantages but the rest should still be apparent.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

The biggest benefit in being an expat ( I despise that term) is that I can leave.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Having been overweight all of my life, I've been called a lot worse than Farang. Fortunately, I'm not so sensitive about name calling.

However, this thread is about benefits of being an expat, not name calling. If you want to discuss name calling, why not start a new thread?

:offtopic: please.

[Edit] The subject of name calling in Thailand might generate some discussion, so I've started a new thread viewtopic.php?f=8&t=34963
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
HHCanuck
Professional
Professional

Post by HHCanuck »

No Snow + No Taxes = :-)