RIP - A Lifelong Friend and Brother Lost

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

RIP - A Lifelong Friend and Brother Lost

Post by Takiap »

Sorry for posting such a morbid thread, but I have just received news that a lifelong friend (closer than my real brothers) was murdered in Hat Hai earlier this week - shot in the head.

I've been searching online for info but can't seem to find anything. I can't believe that him and I have laid side by side lifting landmines in Angola; we've taken refuge in dug out "foxholes" to survive incoming mortars, and after all that, he gets shot in his head inside his own home.

Since he was like a twin brother for me, I obviously want to at least try and make sure the guilty person/s are brought to justice. As of now I have no details so I obviously don't know if anyone has been arrested or not. However, I have stayed at his place on a few occasions and I know what his situation was like, and I know that he is never alone in the house so this was not a burglary. This was definitely a hit, and if that is the case, I need to follow up on it.

So my question is, should I go and ask questions at Hua-Hin police station because surely they could find out how things stand at present? Also, should I advise them to question/investigate certain individuals? Lastly, should I pressure the police by getting in touch with our Embassy in Bangkok?

Lastly, should I go down to Hat-Hai and visit the family to check things out for myself?

Cheers
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Sabai Sabai
Professional
Professional

Re: RIP - A Lifelong Friend and Brother Lost

Post by Sabai Sabai »

Firstly, very sorry to hear of the loss of your friend.

Secondly, do you mean Hat Yai? I don't know of a Hat Hai.....

With regards what to do next, I would imagine going to see the police in Hua Hin initially that they should be able to bring you up to speed with what has happened, beyond that you would probably have to speak to the police force leading the investigation directly if you wanted to be of assistance.

Not an expert but does the relevant embassy not have to be contacted anyway upon the death of one of their nationals.

As I say, I'm not an expert, the above is just my opinion. Good luck!
sand_dancer
Guru
Guru

Post by sand_dancer »

My condolences Takiap....... May your brother rests in peace......

I hear you...... And the last thing you want to do is go near the police...... Why put yourself in the spotlight.....

A quiet visit to the family in Hat Yai..... Find out what you need direct from them......

Best of luck......
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Hi, yes I meant Hat Yai.

Apparently there has been some mention of this in the Thai news, but nothing in any English language papers. No surprise there.

I'll probably head through to Hua-Hin police station later to see if they have any news or if they can at least find out the latest news regarding this. I've actually just broken the news to my kids who were also very fond of my friend, and apart from a load of tears, both immediately said who they think did this. Coincidentally, their suspects are the same as mine. My heart really goes out to his two daughters who are the same age as mine. They were absolutely Daddy mad and this must really be tearing them up inside.

What a sad event indeed.
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Sorry to hear of this, mate. For Christ sake be bloody careful if you go to Hat Yai. More so if you have some idea who may have been the perpetrator. RIP.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

sand_dancer wrote:My condolences Takiap....... May your brother rests in peace......

I hear you...... And the last thing you want to do is go near the police...... Why put yourself in the spotlight.....

A quiet visit to the family in Hat Yai..... Find out what you need direct from them......

Best of luck......

Yes I intend heading down there, but for all I know they might be in custody already, and if they are not, I would have to choose my words very carefully because at this point I have very little doubt that they would have been behind this. I know I should not jump to conclusions, but I have my reasons.

:cheers:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Nereus wrote:Sorry to hear of this, mate. For Christ sake be bloody careful if you go to Hat Yai. More so if you have some idea who may have been the perpetrator. RIP.
Agreed. Whatever you do, don't make yourself a target.
This is the way
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Still have not found out much yet, but I have been told the police took his phone, and the last outgoing activity was on the 18th of this month. He was shot in the back of his head in his kitchen shortly after the girls were taken to school.

Nothing was stolen, and his wife apparently discovered him shortly after it happened. This alone seems strange to me because she does not drive or ride a bike, so in all likelihood, she would have been in the house at the time unless she had gone out early, which is something she never does because she sleeps most of the day.

I have been trying to contact my friend for more than a week, including send several messages with Line. If messages are read it shows up on my screen, and since none of the messages have been read, the police obviously have not examined his phone.

Additionally, his wife made no attempt to let his family in South Africa know despite having all their phone numbers. She only sent them a text message the day after he was cremated. I have also tried contacting his wife and her phone is permanently on voicemail.

Anyway, I'll post updates as soon as I know more.

Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Takiap: You're understandably in shock and full of anger at the moment, so perhaps don't go and see the police today. If you get a 'It's nothing to do with us' type of response, you may say something you regret. I agree with all the comments about taking it carefully.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

I'd echo what others have said.... Sincere condolences for the loss of your friend, and be bl**dy careful if you travel down to Hat Yai to investigate further. Sit on it for a day or 2 to try and keep the emotions in check.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

I also echo the above Takiap. That's a real tough one to deal with. Sorry for your loss mate.

With matters like this, you want the right people dealing with it but unfortunately, to have the right people dealing with it, costs a little money. I can put you in touch with a couple of people, if they're still working, but it's not free. I'll find out if their reach/influence goes as far as Hat Yai and let you know.

I agree with Pharvey when he says 'be bloody careful' if you plan to take it into your own hands.

Once again, sorry for your loss Takiap - be at peace knowing that your brother is in a better place.

Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Hi Takiab,
sorry to hear you bad news, very tragic indeed. You're description fits our mutual friend Mr. I.O., my ex-colleague, am I wrong here?
GN.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Really sorry for your loss Takiap - be careful in dealing with the police in H.Y... Keep a low profile if you expose any local as a possible perpetrator.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Sorry to hear your news Takiap. Take care.
Talk is cheap
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Sorry to hear, sounds like a lot of good advice here
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.