Life in Thailand: Battling Boredom

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Life in Thailand: Battling Boredom

Post by GLCQuantum »

How do you guys fight it.

Once again, it's a Friday night. I've had my steak sandwich with all the extras. I've had my couple of beers. I'm ready to retire and do what I have been doing for most evenings for the best part of a decade...

Browse HHForum and maybe post a reply to a few things, but...

Alas! Nothing has really happened here all day. We struck lucky with the 'Youtube Superstar' thread... that afforded a laugh or two, but I fear 'striking lucky' won't always happen.

Am I gonna have to start looking at other forums, for the first time in my life (which comes with the added difficulty of being a 'newbie' rather than my current, well respected 'veteran' status that I have earnt here) or is it going to pick up anytime soon?

:cheers:
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: Life in Thailand: Battling Boredom

Post by hhfarang »

Maybe time to get out GLC... That was my biggest problem over there (other than the heat :D ). Living in Thailand was quite exiting for the first three or four years and then became a drudgery of boredom. By then we had covered the country pretty well, and by then I lost interest in going to other "tropical" countries and we didn't have the budget for trips to Europe or the U.S. so I settled into a life of internet, TV, drinking (at home, alone mostly) and eating too much (again at home, in front of the TV). I gained a lot of weight and did permanent damage to my liver.

I finally decided I needed a change and it sounds like you are at that point.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

hhfarang wrote:Maybe time to get out GLC... That was my biggest problem over there (other than the heat :D ). Living in Thailand was quite exiting for the first three or four years and then became a drudgery of boredom. By then we had covered the country pretty well, and by then I lost interest in going to other "tropical" countries and we didn't have the budget for trips to Europe or the U.S. so I settled into a life of internet, TV, drinking (at home, alone mostly) and eating too much (again at home, in front of the TV). I gained a lot of weight and did permanent damage to my liver.

I finally decided I needed a change and it sounds like you are at that point.
hhfarrang - as I understand it your wife's family is located in Korat? So no interaction daily with them in Hua Hin?

I can see your point of view and I am wary of boredom when I move but I hope regular interaction with wife's family will be a paradigm diference to your own situation.
I may be naive of course - it may be nice to see us (my wife, son and me) daily when we are there for 4 - 6 weeks. When its permanent maybe it fizzles out.

Anyway-- your situation was different from my opportunity in this regard?
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Boredom is one reason retirement scares me. I'm not a golfer so 4 hours on the links, which fills a lot of retiree's days is out.

I've tried to visualize a "retirement schedule" to fill the days.

But I get bored here in the states too, so it is a part of life.

Maybe GLC need to get out and find friends, at your young age, or develop some hobbies :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

migrant wrote:Boredom is one reason retirement scares me. I'm not a golfer so 4 hours on the links, which fills a lot of retiree's days is out.

I've tried to visualize a "retirement schedule" to fill the days.

But I get bored here in the states too, so it is a part of life.

Maybe GLC need to get out and find friends, at your young age, or develop some hobbies :cheers:

That is a very valid point. I always got bored after 7 - 10 years in one and the same place.I have been in the same place for 8 years and in the same work locasion for 10 and I am trying to get one (more) posting abroad before retirement. If I can't get it I will retire - only to find myself bored in Thailand at the age of 70. MAybe I just have to live with it.. Maybe its human psyche and not Thailand or Hua Hin?

hhfarrang -what's your take on that? You were lucky (or skilled, determiend) to successfully engineer one more change in your life.
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Mate, if this is how you feel in Thailand...... DO NOT GO TO CHINA!!

I say this not in jest......

[EDIT] Get back to the UK - if you do it via Calais, you might get yourself a free house!!

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Maybe GLC need to get out and find friends, at your young age, or develop some hobbies
I have hobbies...

Football - Can never be a part of the team here... have to settle for being the farang muppet who happens to have football feet.

Snooker: 7 snooker halls that I enjoyed playing (read gambling) at had shootings and closed down.

Cross-country: I've always been a long distance runner, but I don't think I could finish the 1500m here without being squashed by a car.

Pool: Have to deal with drunk westerners. No thanks.

Weed - Been arrested too often.

I suppose the only step forward for me, should I stay here, would be to hook up with a bargirl half my age (she'd be 16 then :wink: ) knock out a kid, put it in a crap school and reap the rewards of having a girl half my age.

:banghead:
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

I do wish the forum would stop screwing with my titles....

When they learn to write as well as me, they are free to edit my stuff. Until then - leave it be.

[Admin comment:]
Terms & Conditions wrote:We reserve the right to edit any and all content that has been placed on HuaHinForum, anything posted on this website becomes the property of HuaHinForum and editing or removing content remains our decision alone.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

GLCQuantum wrote: Weed - Been arrested too often.
Didn't make any friends? :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

migrant wrote:
GLCQuantum wrote: Weed - Been arrested too often.
Didn't make any friends? :cheers:
Not enough apparently...

:cheers: :cheers:
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

GLCQuantum wrote:
How do you guys fight it.
Sorry, I have no words of advise for this. In my 19 years in Thailand I was hardly ever bored and when I was, it was mainly during my teaching years. :D
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

I think you need a partner,significant other,soul mate etc on the other hand you could crack on with your book.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

You need to get a regular girlfriend enough said!
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

I wish I had the time to get bored.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Christ, I'd give my left ball for a good long dose of boredom. :shock:

Sure, if you are just vegetating from morning to night each day then you are going to be bored, but as far as I can see, there is just as much to do here as there is anywhere else, regardless of age. If you are getting bored, perhaps you are spending to much time in front of a TV, or perhaps you're just lazy. :duck:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact