Legal to Own Samurai Swords in Thailand?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Legal to Own Samurai Swords in Thailand?

Post by JamesWest »

I know we see knives and swords for sale in street markets in Thailand, but that does not mean they are legal.

I have been watching "The Walking Dead" so I was thinking about getting a couple of swords to have around the house. :D

I don't want the cops to arrest me for having illegal swords.

anybody know?
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: Legal to Own Samurai Swords in Thailand?

Post by hhfarang »

Ask the sellers. I'm sure they know the law and will tell you the truth... :wink: :D :D :D
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

According to this article from 2010, they're legal at home:

"For items such as machetes, swords and hunting knives, tasers and pepper spray, since they are practically only used as weapons, if you show up at a public gathering with these, you can be arrested and the item confiscated.
Other than firearms, are any of the above weapons required to be licenced or illegal to be kept in the home for protection? There is no law that would prevent you from having them in the home and using them as protection from intruders. Please remember, though, that there are limits on how these weapons can be used, even in the home."

http://thaitranslated.blogspot.com/2010 ... rt-xx.html
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

I'm currently looking after a bag of golf sticks for a friend of mine (had them for the last eight years) and I only recently noticed there are a couple of Samurai-style swords among them - one long one and a shorter one. Goodness only knows why he felt the need to have them on the course, I thought golf was supposed to be a relaxing pastime!?
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

J.J.B. wrote:I'm currently looking after a bag of golf sticks for a friend of mine
Such ignorance, everyone knows they're called bats.

And on the subject of self-defence, I'd feel much more comfortable wielding a cricket or baseball bat than a samurai sword.
This is the way
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

J.J.B. wrote:Goodness only knows why he felt the need to have them on the course, I thought golf was supposed to be a relaxing pastime!?
Snakes?? :idea:

dtaai-maai wrote: And on the subject of self-defence, I'd feel much more comfortable wielding a cricket or baseball bat than a samurai sword.
Me too.
A lot less messy and less chance of chopping one of your own limbs off in the melee. :shock:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
charlesh
Ace
Ace

Post by charlesh »

Perhaps there are some real ones too post WWII given the large Jap presence in LOS during that time and their subsequent surrender.
U can do a lot of damage from a golf iron too inclusive of snakes.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I think it is technically illegal to fart here as a foreigner, unless of course you have the correct permit, copied in triplicate and counter signed.

The problem will arise if you ever use it, something like a 3 iron would be a far less conspicuous weapon to have for self defense in the home.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

I brought in two large Arabic swords, they were inspected at airport customs and I was told to proceed. Not that this means they are legal.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

thanks for the input... i made the mistake of showing my girlfriend Lucy Lui's character in the Mel Gibson film "Payback". Now she wants to be Lucy and beat me up all the time. So i might have to hide the sword.

StevePIraq are you an American?
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

No a Brit
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

I think it is technically illegal to fart here as a foreigner...
:lach:

Oh, how true that is.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

StevePIraq wrote:No a Brit
what do you do in Iraq? Thailands roads not dangerous enough? :D
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Working with US Govt and Afg govt on rehabilitation projects, millions spent but little accomplished.
Luckily I don't drive here, although have done some biking in the hills and mountains around Kabul, this could be a great place for motorbikes if they could fix up the roads. Been along the Afg side of the Kyber pass a few times.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

what do you do in Iraq?
StevePIraq wrote:Working with US Govt and Afg govt on rehabilitation projects, millions spent but little accomplished.
I wouldn't put that last part on your next CV if I were you.