New Sign at Airport - Disrespect to Buddha is Wrong by Law

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
jumusman
Professional
Professional

New Sign at Airport - Disrespect to Buddha is Wrong by Law

Post by jumusman »

Just flew back to Bangkok yesterday from Singapore and thought I would take a photo of an interesting sign I didn't see last time I flew into Suvarnabhumi, this was right at the immigration desk where they check your passport before picking up your luggage.

Welcome to Buddha Land
ITS WRONG to buy or use Buddha symbol as merchandise, decoration, tattoo, or to own Buddha head. Disrespect to Buddha is wrong by law.

Like a mosquito in a nudist colony... I don't even know where to begin. Wrong by law, which law! The new one your just made up on the spot? So every Falang that arrives in Thailand wearing a sleeveless T-Shirt showing their "Buddha symbol" tattoo is wrong by law ? Maybe they should get turned away at immigration when they hand their passport over ?

I also saw the same sign on a huge billboard on the way out of the airport. Wow, you just can't make this stuff up.

I am sure like every important Thai law it will be enforced on a daily basis and taken seriously by all... Instead of focusing on such ridiculous "laws" such as this maybe they should spend more time dealing and enforcing more important issues such as the traffic conditions, accidents, helmet law, drunk driving etc...

Thoughts ? Notice they never use the word "illegal"...
Attachments
2015-08-04 18.04.20.jpg
2015-08-04 18.04.20.jpg (149.57 KiB) Viewed 3433 times
"If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism." - Albert Einstein, 1936
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: New Sign at Airport - Disrespect to Buddha is Wrong by Law

Post by GLCQuantum »

The good Buddhists of Thailand are seeing how much progress ISIS are making, so are simply adopting the same strategy.

They wanna rock da world.

Unfortunately for them, no-one quite rocks the world like us good, God fearing Christians.

jumusman
Professional
Professional

Post by jumusman »

It seems like another attempt at "saving face" somehow, that the powers that be really care about something other than corruption and lining their own pockets. Just like most other laws on the books this one will be soon forgotten or simply ignored from the get go.

They gonna tell a person with a tattoo that they are breaking the law and they should remove it ? ha ha.

They gonna tell all the shops/outdoor markets in Thailand that are currently selling Buddha heads to stop selling them then contact the manufacturers and tell them to stop making them, then do spot checks every so often to make sure people are still following the law. Emmm, I think not.
"If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism." - Albert Einstein, 1936
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Just the fact that the English in the sign is so horribly wrong, in a place 'welcoming' (mostly) English speaking tourists, says it all for me.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

They gonna tell a person with a tattoo that they are breaking the law...
They seem to have a thing against tattoos at the moment:

Vocational schools to turn down tattooed applicants
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... applicants

"Vocational schools in Bangkok and the vicinities will not accept applications from children who have tattoos or stretched pierced ears in the 2016 academic year. "
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

That sign has been there since at least last March..............
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Post by jumusman »

Weird, I flew here from LAX on July 6th and I didn't see the sign at the immigration desk or the billboard leaving the airport. Either way.... It's a little silly.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I also saw the signs at the airport last week.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

How ironic. Just the other day while I was in Hat Yai, I saw a Thai man, about 30 years old, with a black t-shirt on. On the back of his shirt, in big bold letters, were the words: "Jesus Is A C..t"

Since I don't follow any religion, his shirt never offended me, but I couldn't help wondering if he would be brave enough or stupid enough to wear the same shirt, but with the word "Jesus" replaced with one of the other "sacred" names.

Of course there is also a strong possibility that the clown in the shirt has no idea what that writing on his shirt actually means.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Post by jumusman »

I would love to see him wear that shirt in Texas or Alabama. Yeah you are probably right, he had no idea what it mean't.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Takiap wrote: ..................Of course there is also a strong possibility that the clown in the shirt has no idea what that writing on his shirt actually means. :cheers:
Takiap, you're probably right

One of my guys at the Lodge used to wear a shirt with 'Alien Sex Fiend' on it.

When I asked him if he knew what it meant he had no idea.

So I told his missus (who also works for us) what it meant.

He no longer wears it................. :roll:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Takiap wrote: Of course there is also a strong possibility that the clown in the shirt has no idea what that writing on his shirt actually means.
Almost certainly. One of my students, a delicate little flower of 18 or so, was wearing a sweatshirt (because of course it can get mighty chilly with the air conditioning on...) with MOTHERF***ER (without the asterisks) emblazoned across the back. She claimed to have no idea what it meant, but I'm sceptical, since however bad their English may be, they always seem to know the swear words.
This is the way
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Terry wrote:
Takiap wrote: ..................Of course there is also a strong possibility that the clown in the shirt has no idea what that writing on his shirt actually means. :cheers:
Takiap, you're probably right

One of my guys at the Lodge used to wear a shirt with 'Alien Sex Fiend' on it....
I bet he didn't know that Alien Sex Fiend were a minor 1980's English goth band who I once saw performing at a Portsmouth night club in about 1984!
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

Moving away from Alien Sex Fiend slightly, I think it may be the work of these people http://www.knowingbuddha.org/ in conjunction with these people http://www.5000s.org/news

If you check out their 'news update' link on the former you can see that they have been active in Hua Hin recently at the 'Braze Head Tattoo shop'. I'm not sure if there is something ironic about them using the Buddha image on their site while trying to outlaw the use of the Buddha image in other places but hey ... what do I know.
6048902_orig.jpg
6048902_orig.jpg (123.21 KiB) Viewed 3067 times
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Post by jumusman »

Frank Hovis wrote:Moving away from Alien Sex Fiend slightly, I think it may be the work of these people http://www.knowingbuddha.org/ in conjunction with these people http://www.5000s.org/news

If you check out their 'news update' link on the former you can see that they have been active in Hua Hin recently at the 'Braze Head Tattoo shop'. I'm not sure if there is something ironic about them using the Buddha image on their site while trying to outlaw the use of the Buddha image in other places but hey ... what do I know.
6048902_orig.jpg

Interesting website, yes it looks like something that is important to them. Maybe after they are done with this campaign then can move on to the "Swastika, its wrong" campaign. :)