What's the Strangest/Funniest/Worst Things You've Seen in Thailand?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

What's the Strangest/Funniest/Worst Things You've Seen in Thailand?

Post by GLCQuantum »

Thailand is full of wonderful, crazy and downright absurd things.

We all know about the road accidents - that's a thread of it's own, but what other things have given you that 'WTF' moment.

Off the top of my head, I can think of a few nasty ones. I was on a bus a few years back heading to Central Pinklao. I enjoy bus journeys for the most part. I sit and stare out the window viewing areas that I've never seen before. Unfortunately, during this particular bus journey I was afforded a view of a woman in her late 90's, trousers and knickers down, taking a dump on the side of the road. Nothing solid was coming out - no photo is needed.

Another time was when I was living in the jungle of Samae Dam (off Rama II this side of Bangkok) when one of the creatures in the picture below crawled into my sleeping area (think towel with mosquito net). A good 30 cm long it must have been. Grandad came along and squished it and possibly added it as a side dish for his supper.

I've already written about a 'witch doctor' experience in another thread too. That was fecked up beyond belief.

How about you guys? What has Thailand thrown at you in the past?

:cheers:
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Re: What's the Strangest/Funniest/Worst Things You've Seen in Thailand?

Post by usual suspect »

At the scene of my car-smash, after the 'rescue team' had got me out of the wreckage, onto a gurney, & into the pick-up/ambulance, I remember thinking Oh ffs as the driver started the engine & the 'ambulance' had undergone an engine-swap...it now was propelled by a V8 lump up front with 'throaty' exhaust..!
Agh, but wait..the rescue guys had not secured my gurney down..so when the driver floored-it..I shot back & slammed into the back door!
(It was at that point, despite my injured state I turned around to see if the driver was Burt Reynolds, with 'Captain
Chaos' sat beside him..555! Re: Cannonball Run).
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Post by jumusman »

The strangest thing I ever saw actually happened to me last week..

I was driving North on Phetchkasem rd somewhere near the Night Market I saw a car turn left and actually use their turn signal to indicate which direction they wanted to go. I had to pull over at the closest 7-11, take a deep breath and pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming. I know most of you will call me a liar but seriously, they actually used their turn signal.
"If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism." - Albert Einstein, 1936
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

GLC please change you Avatar, or it will be changed for you, you know we removed your other moving image in The Dog meat trade thread. :wink:

Be a good boy and i will post a couple of photos that i took when i rode into an army dug in position on the Cam border not far from Kap Choeng. They had a very well looked after five legged cow. :D
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

^

Aw shucks... it was just a picture of a dog happily playing with his Pink Panther toy. :D

I shall add a new one.

HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

A couple of years ago, driving down Petchkasem in the pouring rain, a lady gardener was watering the plants in the central reservation. Watering can in one hand and an umbrella in the other!!!

I guess she was told to do it so do it she did.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^ Bet she was able to finish her shift early.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

GLCQuantum wrote:^

Aw shucks... it was just a picture of a dog happily playing with his Pink Panther toy. :D

I shall add a new one.

I bet you like to do that to your teddy bear GLC. :wink:

Here's a few photos of when by accident rode into an army camp. I was just looking for places to go fishing and then I discovered this five legged very well looked after cow.
Some soldiers then invited me to play tagraw(spelling) some kinda volleyball but using your ankles and feet to kick a bamboo ball over the net.
Attachments
NewImage_720_540_90(2).jpg
NewImage_720_540_90(2).jpg (131.37 KiB) Viewed 680 times
NewImage_720_540_90(1).jpg
NewImage_720_540_90(1).jpg (165.79 KiB) Viewed 680 times
NewImage_720_540_90.jpg
NewImage_720_540_90.jpg (155.36 KiB) Viewed 680 times
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Not a cow with a spare leg, but I saw this on a back of a bike the other day, don't know if it counts? It did make me think, why?

Talk is cheap
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

The goats hanging about under the flyover here in Hua Hin from time to time surely must be up there with the strangest things I've seen. Sometimes with and sometimes without their keeper.

I can't for the life of me figure out why they get brought there. There's nothing for them to eat. The only think I can think of is it's a way to give them a nice bit of shelter from the sun??