Thailand Myths

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Thailand Myths

Post by Bristolian »

I have the good fortune to meet a great many wealthy Thai business owners, day to day, and these have mostly shown themselves to be good, hardworking and educated with families that I would never associate with the "Hi So" tag. Many are Multi Millionaires in any currency.

Most if not all, appear to be concerned with the welfare of their workforce but that's where it generally ends.

"Hi So" has become a derogatory term in Thailand and most if the wealthy business owners and families that I know would shy away from being placed in this classification.

In general terms when I hear the term Hi So, I immediately think of the aspiring group that believe that they are already special and act believing that they are special. These are the &rse holes that believe the laws do not apply to them.

We frequently hear of the "spoilt brats" who are able to get away with anything that their parents can afford; these are a minority but the same minority that we could see in any society. It's simply that these "children of the corn" can, because of the corrupt application of the law and why! Because the law has a price it is willing to sell itself for.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Thailand Myths

Post by GLCQuantum »

Good post Bristolian.

The snippet below though, can apply to most countries, not only Thailand.
Bristolian wrote:... Because the law has a price it is willing to sell itself for.
Most of the dirty rich (not upper class I must emphasize - just people who have come into money) in England get away with everything too. We had a lovely chap called 'Jimmy Savile' who got away with wreckin' hundreds of lives... all because he had a bit of dosh.

Rich, doesn't mean high-society or upper-class - it's about the upbringing and family history, I believe.

I've met people in Thailand who have come into big money in the recent past. An inheritance, usually. From the slums, they've risen into wealth. Those people are 50/50 ghastly to 'ok'.

On the other hand, I've not met a bad person of the 'upper-class' (old money) in my six years of working among hundreds of them. Beautiful, kind people in my book.

:cheers: