Western Dog Owners in Thailand

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Western Dog Owners in Thailand

Post by GLCQuantum »

Little, long overdue rant on the forum...

So I've just moved back to Hua Hin and thought I'd take it upon myself to take over the duties of walking the family dog. Figured out a nice little route from down soi 114, through the empty market area, up to Vana Nava and then back up through 112.

All was going well for the first week or so, with the small exception of one dog who was, let's say, a little over-playful. Lovely looking dog that's obviously well taken care of and wearing a collar. Now we've all seen it before... someone gives some food to a dog, gives it the occasional shower, whacks a collar on it and claim it's their dog. It's not your dog, you muppet, it's still a street dog as, uh huh you guessed it - it's still on the street.

Now this dog is getting to be a right pain, running into traffic to have a go and causing me to struggle keeping Sandy (family dog) under control as she's a strong dog. It's certainly going to cause an accident soon, so I went to the guards at the housing estate she usually bounds out of (along with 4-5 other shops/open gate areas along that soi) to see if I could speak with the 'owner'. Lo and behold the owner is a 'farang'. I was so gobsmacked that I couldn't be arsed to deal with him just then and said I'd return in the morning.

After I had a think, I decided I'll just try and find another route to walk Sandy.

So, if you are the pretend owner of a dog called 'Lilly' down soi 114... either be a sensible owner and take it into your home and walk it daily, like the other sensible dog owners or eventually 'your' dog will cause an accident.

Moron.
BOZ
Professional
Professional

Re: Western Dog Owners in Thailand

Post by BOZ »

:popcorn:
Boz

Life is short, live it to the fullest!!!
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

Welcome back to Rantsville GLC! We missed you...

I agree about the 'street dog' thing. Whacked a collar on one myself once, but only as a place to hang his Rabies shot tag, essential as a dog warden deterent.
At the end of the day you can take the dog out of the soi but you can't take the soi out of the dog. :wink: And annoying and potentially dangerous as it is, soi dogs don't take well to living indoors. If it is an un-snipped male though I do think the 'owner' should get it done. Might calm it down a bit.
Meanwhile may I respectfully point out that back in your home town you would be branded a wuss for admitting you have trouble controlling Sandy! :duck:
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

The dog in question came a little too close to my dog 3 days ago, Got its ear ripped off and throat ripped out. Probably dead now. Not seen it since.

Silly dog. Gotta pick your fights wisely.