Negative comments about life in Thailand as a "farang"

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
alexhot24
Novice
Novice

Negative comments about life in Thailand as a "farang"

Post by alexhot24 »

Hello
I've been researching about life in Hua Hin as my better half and I were thinking about retirement in Thailand. We are well aware of the visa hurdles but then came across the article in the link below and we're shocked By the negative comments about life in Thailand as a "farang".

[Moderator edit. Links to competing websites or forums are not tolerated - please read our T&Cs.]

Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Alex
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Re: article about life in Thailand

Post by Gérard »

I have been living in Thailand for 15 years and I am quite happy.
Negative comments generally come from people who cannot accept differences and always compare with their own country.
Of course, everything is not perfect and you have to weigh up the pros and cons (language - weather - cost of life - food, etc.)
I know a few people who live in aircon all the time, cannot eat thai food, are afraid of driving, don't speak 3 words of Thai or English and I wonder why they are still living here after many years complaining...
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

Read all the articles you want but you won't get a real good idea of what it is like to live here until you put your feet on the ground here. Life is not perfect here but it is not perfect in my home country either. Once you put your feet on the ground and begin to get an idea of what it is like to live here, talk to those who have lived here you won't have a real idea of what the trade off's are.

If you read all the articles in the U.S. press about the coup and the "miserable" situation they have created here you would not be getting a true picture of what went on here before the coup and now after the coup. Talk to those who are here and you will be able to form your own opinion which just may be a bit different than those opinions you have read about.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've read the article, and its nothing new. A lot of what was said has been said many times on this forum and elsewhere. Yes, its true.

Some may make it, but many fail. If you fit into one of the 'don't do it' categories, then proceed with extreme caution.

If alexhot24 really wants advice, then he should tell us what his status would be if he did come to Thailand.

I personally don't fit into the 'don't do it' category, and have enjoyed 3 very happy years here so far.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Negative comments about life in Thailand as a "farang"

Post by dtaai-maai »

I haven't read the article, but if you want negative comments, you don't have to look far - there are plenty on this forum every day. Yet those who make them are mostly still here, suffering away on a daily basis! :laugh:

Wherever you decide on, don't burn your bridges - try a place out for a few months to see if the lifestyle suits you.
This is the way
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I haven't read the article, but I probably don't need to because as others have said, complaining about everything is a common hobby here, and I've been here long enough to have heard every possible complaint under the sun.

I first started coming here in 1997 and continued visiting more or less every three months. In 2001, I moved here to live, and apart from visiting neighboring countries, I have not been out of Thailand. Here is my take on some of the most common complaints:

Stray dogs - Yes, stray dogs are a nuisance; they roam around everywhere, chasing motorbikes; tipping over bins; etc; etc; etc. However, if a person visited the country prior to moving here, then they would already have been aware of the stray dog problem. Surely nobody can honestly believe that all the strays would be rounded once they moved here. Also, in the center of towns and cities, strays are not really that much of an issue.

Thai driving - Again, anyone who has visited would have witnessed Thai driving standards the minute they left the airport terminal. The first time I rode a motorbike in Thailand it was down on Koh Samui, and it was no big deal at all. The next time I rode a bike, it was in the center of Samut Sakhon, and it was quite terrifying, as was my first motorbike experience in Bangkok. :shock: :laugh: However, if you actually get out on the roads, and you stay alert, you can soon adapt if you want to. If you do adapt, Thai drivers will no longer make your life unpleasant. The ones who complain are generally the ones who are still hoping Asia will change now that they are living here.

In fact, I find it quite amusing when a long term expat gets irate just because the Thai driver in front of them stops in the middle of the road so that they can buy something from 7/11. I mean come on, this sort of thing happens all the time. Why spend half your day furious over such a trivial matter. People pulling out straight in front of you is another cause for complaints, but again, it happens all the time and it IS NOT going to change. Just be alert and take it in your stride. I honestly can't remember when last I got irate on the roads here. To the contrary, I quite like the Thai way now. It can be so much more fun, and besides, it also helps to remind me why I came here in the first place.

Police target Farang - Maybe this does happen but I'm yet to come across it. In all my time here, I have never been targeted by the police, and I have never even had reason to worry about it happening. My only dealings with the police have been four occasions when I was stopped for no helmet. Twice outside of Hua-Hin, and was sent on my way with only warnings. Twice in Hua-Hin, with a 200 baht fine both times. To clarify, Thais are way more likely to be stopped by the police.

Corruption - Of course there is corruption in Thailand, but again, I have never witnessed it firsthand. I have never ever been asked for, or been expected to pay a bribe.

Farang always pay more - No they don't. When you are still new here, you might get ripped off at some touristy markets and so on, but you soon learn the ropes (and prices), after which it is up to you to haggle for a fair price. Thais will overcharge other Thais as well if they think they can get away with it. Let's not forget, that is what haggling is all about. Having said all that, I am forever buying stuff in and around town, and I can't even remember when last I was overcharged. The average Thai vendor is exceptionally honest, or perhaps I'm just very fortunate.

Visa requirements - Every country in the world has visa requirements, and although they are a real pain in the butt for me, I just have to deal with it.

You can't buy good quality stuff here - You most certainly can. You might have to travel to Bangkok sometimes, and you might have to pay the same or more than you would in your own country, but you can definitely get good quality stuff here. Let's be fair, you can't pay 200 baht for a Rolex and then expect it to come with a lifetime guarantee.

Lots of litter everywhere - Well, surely people saw this before they decided to come and live here?

Politics - Not my country, so really, Thai politics has absolutely nothing to do with me. Maybe that's a selfish attitude, but it's just the way I feel. And, regardless of what you read in the papers, everyday life here for the overwhelming majority of people remains the same regardless of who has been or who is running the country. In fact, if it weren't for Google News, I wouldn't even have known that the military took over the country.

TIP Of The Day: If or when you move here, choose your friends carefully, or simply keep to yourself. Being in the company of people who moan from morning to night will soon result in the same thing happening to you. I would also recommend that you should at least consider living outside of a housing development, but that is of course just my opinion Lastly, try to keep yourself busy or occupied. Apparently this is very important, although I personally would love to just lounge about all day every day. :laugh:

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Good post, Takiap. "Long but good" as the bishop said to the actress with a modest grin.
This is the way
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

:agree: Good post Takiap.

We all moan. It's human nature but when I compare my life here with my previous 'ports of call ', long or short, I'm thankful.

Some of those persistent moaners on the forum should try a spell in Zimbabwe or dare I say RSA :duck:

My moans are merely 'niggles' and usually just express my current mood (or the number of beers I've had) at the time :cheers:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

people are very different. I would have to see you and know a lot about you before I could be of any help with you concerns.

getting and keeping your visa is easy if you have money.

research, planning and do diligence are very important. at least one year of planning and maybe three trips to Thailand before coming here to live.

i am having a great time in Thailand. I came from one of the best places to live in the world, Southern California, from a very upscale neighborhood and I don't miss it at all. where are you coming from? is your standard of living going up or down coming to Thailand?

The way I stay happy is I don't try to do anything complex here. I don't own a condo or run a business. I keep my interactions with the Thais people very simple. I can walk away at any time.

I have not been fooled into thinking I own a house.

culture shock. are you a type "A" personality? good luck with that in Thailand. Don't try to change this place.

the more you try to make Thailand like home, the more it will cost you and the more disappointed you will be.
These are the people who are posting negative comments about Thailand.

a good dose of mild paranoid is helpful. While Hua Hin is better than other places in Thailand, the Farangs you meet here are not the best class of people in the world. Use caution with your interactions. For some reason :shock: criminals from all over the world think Thailand is a good place to flee to.

I have a budget and stick to it.

I diet and exercise so at 59 people think i look about 50. I am not over weight.

I don't drink.

I don't own a television.

I don't have kids so i don't miss my family too much. this is one of the major issues most people have.

the is a lot of danger and chaos and uncertainty in Thailand. I like that. do you?

The one big problem here for me is the huge drinking culture. I was shocked to see all the Alcoholics in Thailand and Hua Hin.

People sit around all day drinking beer. Of course in Hua Hin people are on vacation so they want to eat and drink all day. It is easy to get sucked into "vacation mode" everyday.

I am not married so I have women throwing themselves at me very day but I am too smart NOW to fall for the gold diggers here in Thailand. Been there, done that in California. :) The same thing will happen to any man, married or not. So your wife might not be too happy seeing a 35 year old woman making eyes at her 65 year old husband. everyday. everywhere you go.

I have a friend here who is 72 years old. His girlfriend who is 26 just left him. He is upset and can't understand what went wrong. :) These are the people who are posting negative comments about Thailand.

I am not a social person and I really do not want to talk to Farangs all day. Do you? Because your options are limited.

I find Hua Hin to be very boring but I chose to live here for that reason. Many men come to Thailand and self-destruct in Pattaya or Bangkok. These are the people who are posting negative comments about Thailand.

I have a scooter and a motorcycle. the motorcycle is very dangerous here but it is fun for me.

Challenges for me are the extreme heat and humidity, extremely high UV index, fighting mosquitos, not getting killed crossing the street, constantly being asked if i have a wife or girlfriend, staying out of bars and away from Bargirls. It helps to have a hobby. :)

Things get harder as you age, so going to the hospital, walking down the sidewalk, dealing with your maid, nurse, doctor, landlord, transportation, food all get more difficult and it is the same here only more so if you cannot communicate. If you don't have a Thai wife or husband this can get difficult.

if you are a big animal lover, it might be depressing to see all the dogs and cats living on the streets. and the decapitated pig heads in the market everyday can be a bummer. and the fish flopping around gasping for air. so be ready for that. and the chained up elephants.

good luck.
Last edited by JamesWest on Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

I never moan about life in Thailand...
...I bitch :cuss: , grumble :tsk: , & grouse :banghead: about the place...but never moan..555!

:cheers: :wink: :wink: :thumb:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I know the thread is called "negative comments" about life in Thailand, but what about the positives? I have found plenty of Thais who are a lot more friendly than my counterparts back home, service does vary but can often be a pleasant surprise in terms of both quality and price. About 2 weeks ago I needed a piece of granite that I already had cut to size, I took it to a granite shop, the guy measured it, put masking tape on it, cut it to size, cleaned it and gave it back to me, when I asked how much, he said nothing and was reluctant to take the 100 baht I insisted on. Food, either from supermarkets or the markets, is generally much cheaper than back home, and even imported meat like lamb or beef is no more expensive. Restaurants are everywhere, offering good quality at affordable prices.

There are of course plenty of negatives as has been mentioned, but when you offset those against the positives, it makes living here not such a big issue.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

I think a bit part of your experience when moving here is managing expectations.

Obviously nobody chooses to move half way around the world with the belief that they're going to have a worse life than they have back home, but season the excitement with a smattering of realism - If you move over here (or anywhere, for that matter) thinking all of a sudden your life will be perfect, that you'll never have to deal with feeling stresses out about anything again, and that you're never going to have a bad day again then you'll end up disappointed.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've been here 13 years and the only real gripe I have is the driving, causing senseless death on the roads (one of the highest in the world) all for the need to follow some SIMPLE rules. Even when the rule is written on signs, the locals choose to ignore them and put their life and others at risk. Many Farangs here are just as bad forgetting how they drove back home. The one gripe I will never be 'mai pen rai' with.
All the other negatives I have are niggles and are far outweighed by the positives. Brits like to moan. It's in their nature. Complain about the weather continuously back home - too wet - too cold then complain about the weather here - too hot - need some rain - too much rain etc etc.
I for one am glad to be here.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

There are negatives everywhere and having a moan sometimes is fine and natural as is reflecting on or mentioning the positives. The positives of living here in Thailand still outweigh the negatives....especially when you consider the alternative places to live now and the disorder that has spread to once perfectly acceptable destinations in many parts of the world. People are going nuts everywhere now and somewhere like Thailand is an oasis really.

I'm a realist and despite being OK here (and have been so for a while now) do have a couple of peeves about here like (for example) the driving for the same reasons as mentioned above, the dogs because of how they interject into people's lives and maul kids/bike riders etc. which is completely avoidable too.......not to mention that they are a public health hazard (but hey, guess it's the locals choice and isn't going to change anytime soon).

But generally, I'm way better off here than I'd be in the UK which is screwed up now in many ways. However, on the flip side I also find the apologists annoying too who can't stand a single thing said about the place unless it's painfully deluded & unrealistically positive......the locals moan about their country too, you know.

I'm fine in Thailand and it has been good to me really. I also agree with the above poster that said about the need to manage your expectations properly. Don't think you are about enter Shangri-la but it can be better than where you have left, but it's only as good as you make it and you have to accept major change when going to live on the other side of the world in an exotic culture.

However, some people are 'wrapped too tight' for places such as Asia but may well have also been so for the place they left too.

Instead of trying to employ the control freakery attitude of what's around you in a different country you should just let it flow over you and experience it whilst just being mindful of not having your trousers pulled down and pockets emptied. Some can do it and some can't because they dislike uncertainty, dislike/unwilling to entertain change or lack a sense of personal adventure or enrichment by culturally new things.

Different strokes for different folks.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

Comment in no partiular order:

1. Stray dogs: When out and about with my Thai wife I seem to find them out in the provinces rather than in urban areas, I don't perceive it as a problem to daily life

2. Driving: My wife won't let me drive the car in case the Boys in Brown stop us. On the other hand, we've never been stopped. However, I have never co-experienced that my wife finds it a problem to drive in Thailand

3. Corruption: never met it. A farrang friend who occassionally works as a teacher has been asked to paert take in falsification of hours worked in order to boost income. He declined.

4. Litter & Untidyness. It seems to be in asian culture - I have ecoountered it in other asian countries as well. You don'y have to surround yourseld with it and can stay away from it.

5. Heat and Humidity: Issue no 1, if you can't take it don't live here.

6. Food: I have never had food poisoning in Thailand - and god knows I have eaten in places I thought I would get one.
No 1 country (ies) where I have experienced food poisoning are Spain and Japan. In all cases I needed a doctor and prescription medication

7. Price discrimination against farrang: Yes,, and they don't even hide it, Thais think that is quite fair. My wife fronts us all the time and tells me to hide in the car or behind the corner. I just live with it and she does the shopping.

8. Oh, and did I mention the climate: If you can't take the humidity and heat - don't relocate here.

9. I don't live (yet) full time in Thailand but I don't let things upset me - I am happy here. It helps that my wife's family are a great bunch of folks, friendly and sociable, never asked for money, polite and decent, hard working.

Good Luck
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.