Thailand and ghosts

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Bamboo Grove

Thailand and ghosts

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Have you ever heard a ghost story in Thailand? Has someone you know actually witnessed one?

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/life/Th ... 53181.html
From exorcism ceremonies to spirit houses and amulets claiming to make wearers bullet-proof, Thailand is a culture soaked in superstition -- an obsession critics say is holding the nation back.

On a popular episode of "Humans defy ghosts" -- a weekly Thai TV programme that delves into the supernatural -- a two-year-old girl who survived three days next to the dead body of her mother was asked a series of questions by one of the show’s panellists.

"Who prepared your milk?" Kapol Thongplab enquired. "Who played with you? Who opened the door?"

"Mummy," the little girl replied, as genuinely convinced as her adult interlocutors that her mother’s ghost continued to sustain her in those harrowing days.

In Thailand, a show like this is more than just entertainment.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Re: Thailand and ghosts

Post by Spitfire »

Superstiton and all this sort of 'mumbo-jumbo' is a consequence of the absense of meaningful education.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

My X used to be scared shitless after her father died. She insisted he was present in our rented house in HH sometimes and kept changing the TV channels and drinking my Sangsom. I of course endured severe bollockings for laughing out loud :roll:

NO ONE,
not even a ghost would dare to steal my booze :laugh:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Spitfire wrote:Superstiton and all this sort of 'mumbo-jumbo' is a consequence of the absense of meaningful education.
In one fell swoop our Spitfire has knocked down and ridiculed anyone who follows a religion. :mrgreen:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My wife's village thrives on ghost stories. I often tell people they seem to practice Buddhism, with a lot of Voodoo thrown in.

I am not a believer, but all that I will say is that I've seen a few things that I cannot explain, and to say I found them a little scary is an understatement.

Basically:
- Was it supernatural? I don't know.
- Was it staged? Probably not.
- Can I explain what I've seen? No.
- Could others offer an explanation? No.
- Does it deter me from visiting? There are several reasons why I don't like visiting my wife's origins, but fear of the unknown is not one of them.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

BB, I agree with all your points but I put it down to my being on a western thinking wavelength and all I've seen and experienced has been on an eastern thinking wavelength.

Despite my being here for some time now and having spent a lot of my time in Isaan villages I still have to correct myself as I find myself slipping into western thinking and western logic. My good friend, the late Ian Lewins, taught me from day one that when living here things are never quite what they seem. As many of you know, Ian had lived amongst Thais for over 30 years and knew their languages and culture better than any other farang I've met.

Try as hard as we can, we will never really know how that little box between their ears works :)
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I am not talking about stories, but what I've seen with my own eyes in both Thailand and the UK. Experts were called in the UK, and they could not explain anything.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Some years ago I became quite curious about this subject, and did some low-level research (i.e. a few Google searches...) on animistic beliefs in Thailand.
It's quite interesting, if anyone is genuinely interested.
This is the way
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I had to Google, 'animistic beliefs in Thailand,' :oops: but yes, that is the way my wife's village still works now.

Points 48; Position 18
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Big Boy wrote:I am not talking about stories, but what I've seen with my own eyes in both Thailand and the UK. Experts were called in the UK, and they could not explain anything.
I was not talking about stories I was talking about things I've seen with my own eyes
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Good, I'm not alone. We'll have to compare experiences when we meet next.

Points 48; Position 18
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Big Boy wrote:Good, I'm not alone. We'll have to compare experiences when we meet next.
:thumb:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I've spent a lot of time in my partners Issan village over the years and their fear of ghosts is funny, I used to sit out the back of the house reading by myself with a bottle of beer until the early hours of the morning sometimes and they used to be genuinely concerned for me, I just used to tell them it was no problem as there were no farang ghosts up there.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

I am suprised that stupid sound effects and thai soap dramas haven't been mentioned yet. :thumb:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

I started another thread about superstition, and the bizarreness if it, a while back.

I watched a Thai guy die in front of me due to a family's superstition. Convinced that conventional doctors couldn't do anything for 'the spirits inside of him', they opted for an old lady 'witch doctor' who seemed kind of ... out there, let's say.

:shock: