Lottery prize and keeping it a secret or not?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Re: Lottery prize and keeping it a secret or not?

Post by Pleng »

oakdale160 wrote:Mother, brother, sister--you've told too many people already.
Not to mention all the readers of HHForum!
Dr Mike
Guru
Guru

Post by Dr Mike »

A few years ago, I played golf with a group of Aussies, they had been doing the lottery for years and all 6 of them made a vow, they would Never tell their wives if they won. They had a win, not a huge one but a decent bit of change.
What a great time they had in Thai.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

I would tell the wife, as I could not keep a straight face for ever. Besides, we don't have any secrets about who has what money and she has always had access to my bank accounts.

Not telling her may come back to bite you on your bum in years to come and cause you a bit of the following. :sfight: :starwars: But you know your wife the best, so only you can decide.

:cheers:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Khundon1975 wrote:I would tell the wife, as I could not keep a straight face for ever. Besides, we don't have any secrets about who has what money and she has always had access to my bank accounts...
Who's betting that Khundon knows that his wife reads his posts on here. :mrgreen:
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

Is this guy for real? Asking the forum for advice? Telling his mother and sister?
A friend is only one click away
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

There are two scenarios...

The first is that he did indeed win a lottery prize. He actually doesn't care a smidge about his wife of ten years knowing or not but merely wanted to boast about winning a chunk of change. Unfortunately, he has no friends to boast about it to so decided that the mighty HHForum was the best option.

The second is that he didn't actually win anything and was merely making conversation.

:wink: :cheers:

Edit: If it is the first scenario, I'm assuming we're gonna see a much less crap car as his avatar soon. :mrgreen:
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Lot of interesting views and opinions.

Well first things first. I didn't need the winnings at all. I haven't had a mortgage or any other loan for years. Almost all my money and investments are in my home country, including a large house.

My wife knows very well my income (this has to be reported to Immigration when I renew my visa every year), but the house in my home country I owned prior marrying her (so that's mine).

The deal we have is that everything in Thailand is hers. House, car, motorcycles, you name it. This is fair in my opinion. She always get whatever she wants and need.

My thinking regarding the prize money is that this is money neither myself nor my wife needs, so I plan to invest it for retirement. If I tell her, well as many Thais, maybe she doesn't quite understand my thinking of saving for our older years. Many Thais use whatever they get as soon as they get it, but "rainy days" they seem to forget.

My wife is not a very big spender, but something like this could change her, who knows. Even after 10 years who can tell?

As someone suggest, that I should buy a more expensive car, that is exactly an example of things I would like to avoid. To trade in my old one and maybe buy a new similar car, yes, but not spend 5-10 mill just to by a Mercedes 7-seater like the GL! That is in my opinion a total waste of money!

When it comes to why my sister, mother and brother already know, well that is thanks to the lottery company, sending a letter in the mail telling that I have won. And since I live most of the time in Thailand, my home country mail is delivered to my mother. Luckily she only told my sister and brother before I managed to call all of them to keep it quiet. If they are able to do that is another story, but I think so.
YNWA
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Less thinking, more spending is in order. :D

If it were me, I'd blow 7 million on something(s) nice, then whack the 10 away as a little retirement nest egg.

Would I tell the wife, sure. At the end of the day it's my money to do as I please with and, if I enjoyed her company, the 'as I please' part would be with her anyway. The minute she started taking the piss, I'd remind her of the 'my money' part. :D

GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Allow me to get you started. What it sounds like you need first and foremost is a 'man cave'. A cool seven million should cover it...

arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

Why not share your good fortune news with your wife, just not how much. Think of a reasonable figure then be generous by giving her half of your "amended" winnings, I`m sure she will be very grateful, and happy with your generosity!!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Sorry, but I'm with Dannie Boy - if you're in such a great relationship/marriage, why the question? Personally if I won I'd rather it not be made public knowledge, but sure as sh*t my family would know..... (well, immediate family that would be!!) - prior to me buying my Bentley Continental, private jet etc.

Congrats on the win though!!

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I posted a joke earlier, but not an opinion. With the op's further statement it gave me some thought.

If you have already done the "this is your's, this is mine" it sounds like you have a good relationship with regards to finances. If you tell her, and remind her that it occurred in another country then that may help.

What I would wonder is if the lottery ticket was purchased from "common funds" can she claim half? Here in the states an agreement can be drawn up that, in case of divorce each spouse keeps what they brought into the marriage, but what is purchased during the marriage may be called common property with each spouse entitled to half. Each state here has different rules, not sure about Thailand.

If you truly have concerns you may wish to visit a Thai attorney to find out the laws in Thailand.

If the ticket was purchased from an account that the wife doesn't share, that may give you protection.

My wife, and I, have a similar agreement that what we brought into the marriage is ours individually. She has always treated my money, and company, as mine. With me selling the company she still says that it is my money, but everyone's circumstances are different

Congratulations on the win, it's not a small amount!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Personally (and we all have different circumstances), I'd have no fear whatsoever about my wife knowing. The biggest fear for me would be the sudden demands from the 'lazy gits' who are extended family up North. It took several years to explain that marriage did not give them instant access to my bank account, and I fear that knowledge of such a win would start it all over again.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
pdm3547
Professional
Professional

Post by pdm3547 »

Big Boy wrote:Personally (and we all have different circumstances), I'd have no fear whatsoever about my wife knowing. The biggest fear for me would be the sudden demands from the 'lazy gits' who are extended family up North. It took several years to explain that marriage did not give them instant access to my bank account, and I fear that knowledge of such a win would start it all over again.
This is exactly what I thought the thread would be about.

Anyone who makes a decent lottery win public (outside their immediate family) is instantly exposing their close friends and family to the risk of kidnap, themselves to extortion or any other number of criminal acts.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

pdm3547 wrote:
Big Boy wrote:Personally (and we all have different circumstances), I'd have no fear whatsoever about my wife knowing. The biggest fear for me would be the sudden demands from the 'lazy gits' who are extended family up North. It took several years to explain that marriage did not give them instant access to my bank account, and I fear that knowledge of such a win would start it all over again.
This is exactly what I thought the thread would be about.

Anyone who makes a decent lottery win public (outside their immediate family) is instantly exposing their close friends and family to the risk of kidnap, themselves to extortion or any other number of criminal acts.
You do realize it's the amount of 17 million baht he's won, not pounds or dollars.