Gifts for Children of Border Police School Nr Pala-U

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
BOZ
Professional
Professional

Gifts for Children of Border Police School Nr Pala-U

Post by BOZ »

[big Boy Insertion] Moved from this thread viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27443
sock.jpg
I highlighted the need for socks by the kids, and received several offers of help. This has left me gobsmacked (in the nicest of ways). I think its important enough to give member's generosity a thread of its own. Sorry for stealing your post BOZ.

Awesome effort BB... I would love to support your next round of adventure to the school... With my travels I may have to help out with some funding for the socks or other needs... I would like to discuss this with you this visit to HH, I arrive in Thailand on the 5th and will be around for 7 weeks this trip... Please contact me with a PM with contact info so we can meet up.. Thanks for sharing the trip report and photos!!!
Boz

Life is short, live it to the fullest!!!
PeteC

Re: Merit Making For my Wife's 60th Birthday

Post by PeteC »

Cold weather's coming BB, don't wait too long for the socks. JD did the Poppies, maybe he can put out a box for sock donations. When you get enough for maybe 1,000 pairs, shut it down. Christmas/Santa and socks (stockings) go well together. :D

If me, I would exclusively buy those white/grey standard school socks the girls are wearing in your photo. They wear very well from experience as my daughter has worn them for years now at her school and they go with socks on only in the classrooms.

How you would determine the appropriate sizes for the population may take a phone call to the place. I'm in for a bit that I'll ATM down. Pete :cheers:

EDIT: Checking the sock box here and talking, it seems that CARSON brand is the best quality and runs about 37-39 Baht per pair. Don't know the bulk price. So, 1,000 pairs would = about 40,000 Baht roughly.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Put me down for 100 socks!! That's 10% there already.
GN.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Ginjaninja wrote:Put me down for 100 socks!! That's 10% there already.
GN.

Is that 100 socks or 100 pairs of socks??? :wink: :duck:

We'll donate the next hundred pairs :cheers: :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The Christmas spirit is upon us! :thumb:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

What a fantastic response guys - I honestly didn't post for that reason, and your generosity is totally unexpected.

I have asked Mrs BB to discuss with the neighbour who has arranged our trips to date. Watch this space, and I'll get back to you.

THANK YOU ALL
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
PeteC

Re: Gifts for Children of Border Police School Nr Pala-U

Post by PeteC »

Put down 100 pairs from me and 100 from my daughter Mary, who was very sad :( to see what that student in the photo has to wear. Pete :cheers:

EDIT: This exercise hopefully will also minimize any flu outbreak if they're able to keep their feet warmer during these coming months.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm still overwhelmed by the response so far. I now have some more information.

We will be visiting the school next on 29 Jan 15. Visits are strictly controlled because every time we visit, the kids basically get a half day off lessons. Additionally, there is the security element of strangers wandering amongst young kids.

Having said the above, if suitable transport is available, forum members will be welcome to join us in convoy. Personally, my car is already full, but I could put some in the back. However, from Pala-U we must go at least 20Km across dirt tracks, which are very bumpy and very dusty.

The format of these trips is that everybody contributes at least 500 Baht, which is used to buy the food and treats for the kids. Money is never handed over to the school - every Baht collected goes to the kids. The Thai contingent do the cooking. We took some friends with us, and they were giving out crisps - every packet received a lovely smile, a bow or curtsy and a wai. Our friends loved it.

Visitors will be fed and watered (same food as the kids). If they are good, they get an ice cream as well :wink:

Other gifts such as socks are always gratefully received. Previously we took a set of underwear for each kiddie. This is given to the teachers to sort out in slower time. Obviously kids come in different shapes and sizes, and we aren't going to do the fitting session.

We have a few weeks before the visit, so that gives me time to hopefully get a good price on socks. I will contact those who have pledged when I know more.

I will post more on this thread as I find out.

Thank you again to those who have made pledges, I'm sure I know the kids will appreciate it. :)
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

As you set up a way to receive donations, see if you can set it up to receive from the states, Mrs m, and I, will be happy to help. Otherwise we won't be out until July so can do the next round :cheers: .
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Big Boy wrote:Having said the above, if suitable transport is available, forum members will be welcome to join us in convoy. Personally, my car is already full, but I could put some in the back...
Hi BB, can we please book 2 places in the back of your truck for the visit please... Of, course we will drive to your place in our wee car to meet up with you ... I don't think ours would be very happy to tackle the tracks there...
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Of course :D . If we can find something more comfortable, we will.

Points 48; Position 18
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Big Boy wrote:Of course :D . If we can find something more comfortable, we will.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Come on folks....... some of you must have a spare 100thb down the back of your sofa.
P.M. Bigboy or myself if wishing to donate discreetly. I can accept donations into my U.K. account and withdraw out of my Thai account without transfer rates if that's easier for some.
Jungle Aid will accept paypal donations but not for this project as it has been initiated by the kind folks of the Hua Hin Forum.

40% on target

:cheers:
GN.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Ginjaninja wrote:Come on folks....... some of you must have a spare 100thb down the back of your sofa.
P.M. Bigboy or myself if wishing to donate discreetly. I can accept donations into my U.K. account and withdraw out of my Thai account without transfer rates if that's easier for some.
Jungle Aid will accept paypal donations but not for this project as it has been initiated by the kind folks of the Hua Hin Forum.

40% on target

:cheers:
GN.
The Long Haired General and I would be happy to donate a few quid to the cause. As we're now back in the UK, it would be far easier for us to donate through you GN. Could you pass on account details etc.?

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks to pharvey and everybody else. I've been very busy for the last week or so, and have been neglecting this a bit. We've just got home, and I'll be back on the case this week, and should be able to update the thread with some figures.

Points 48; Position 18