Homeward Bound?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Homeward Bound?

Post by margaretcarnes »

HHTel wrote:
the biggest problem was getting a bank account opened.
Not sure whether I was just lucky or if this is an accepted procedure. When I went back to the UK, my sister recommended me to her bank manager at Lloyds. She made the appointment. I turned up. No ID that I can remember. 30 mins later, I had a bank account, ATM card and two credit cards. Even an overdraft facility! I still use them.

How long ago was that Tel?
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

margaretcarnes wrote:
HHTel wrote:
the biggest problem was getting a bank account opened.
Not sure whether I was just lucky or if this is an accepted procedure. When I went back to the UK, my sister recommended me to her bank manager at Lloyds. She made the appointment. I turned up. No ID that I can remember. 30 mins later, I had a bank account, ATM card and two credit cards. Even an overdraft facility! I still use them.

5 years.
pdm3547
Professional
Professional

Post by pdm3547 »

HHTel wrote:
margaretcarnes wrote:
HHTel wrote:

5 years.
Things are a lot more onerous now. The banks are so fearful of falling foul of immigration and money-laundering regulations, that there is no way you'd be treated the same way today.

I guess we're all terrorists in the Government's eyes.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

As I said that was 5 years ago. I know of several friends who arrived in the UK long before I did and the best they could get was a Post Office Savings account. I was very surprised at the time (I'd only been back less than a week and only stayed a few months) but I'm sure it was because of a 'sponsor'. I'd be interested to hear of anyone else that went down this route as opposed to 'going it alone'.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

HHTel wrote:As I said that was 5 years ago. I know of several friends who arrived in the UK long before I did and the best they could get was a Post Office Savings account. I was very surprised at the time (I'd only been back less than a week and only stayed a few months) but I'm sure it was because of a 'sponsor'. I'd be interested to hear of anyone else that went down this route as opposed to 'going it alone'.
Yes we returned 2005 and at that time I think the money laundering paranoia was maybe at it's peak. Also maybe your sisters' business situation helped? We certainly had to 'go it alone' without sponsors, although I must admit it didn't occur to me to look for one at the time.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.