At what temperature do you run your Aircon?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

At what temperature do you run your Aircon?

Post by richard »

Well dry as a bone and the combination of heat and humidity finally got to me today so hit the a/c button for the second time in 3 years. The 30 minute spell will probably double my 'lec bill but that's another thread
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Weather in Hua Hin & Thailand

Post by oakdale160 »

Talking of a/c, those expats who use it a great deal, how cool do you like it to be to feel comfortable? I use it just at bedtime to get my bedroom under 30, but during the day, low thirties is fine.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I like it at 22c or 72f, which by all standards is normal room temperature... that's probably why I feel comfortable in banks and other businesses and most of you guys are cold. :P
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
blue05
Guru
Guru

Post by blue05 »

cool is good, ac all night for sure
BOZ
Professional
Professional

Post by BOZ »

:cheers: cool for me, run it all night in the bedroom.. evenings I will cool down the area i plan to occupy for any length of time... I feel if my money can be cool in the bank vault, then I should be cool also... :mrgreen:
Boz

Life is short, live it to the fullest!!!
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Re: At what temperature do you run your Aircon?

Post by huahin4ever »

Using AC as needed. Sometimes the whole day in the bedroom to have a spot to cool down. Electric bill doesn't matter. We live only once not to have it as comfortable as we want it. BTW my wife is more extreme than me when it comes to using AC. She will keep it on always even during the cooler parts of the year. :shock:
Last edited by huahin4ever on Thu May 29, 2014 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
YNWA
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

24c is comfortable for us day or night. It is important that you have the right size machine for the room though. If too small the machine will struggle to reach set temp., and it will never maintain it.....and you'll eat up a lot of electric. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

99% of the time it's sleeping only at 28, 27 during April and May. This hot season seemed warmer than usual, so some days turned the AC on as early as 8pm instead of the usual 10:30pm. When sick, AC as often as necessary.

I've lived in hot, dry climates and hot, wet climates. Seems the more one uses AC, the less one adapts to the heat.
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

Interesting to see how many use AC. I use it at 27 before going to bed to cool room to 30 or below and keep it on for a few hours then switch off during night and turn ceiling fan on. If at or below 30 degrees only ceiling fans throughout house. In my computer room or when watching TV if it gets much over 31-32 degrees with ceiling fan on the AC comes on at 27-28 degrees which seems to make it comfortable again for me. I don't mind the extra elect. bill if I can just stay comfortable. No reason to suffer to save a few baht.
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

25◦c for main living areas, 23◦c main bedroom, kids rooms for some reason they like it pretty cold often see it as low as it goes 18◦c
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. R J Hanlon
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Like everything else about life in Thailand, it's horses for courses.

I spend a lot of time on the computer and keep the aircon on at 25 with the overhead fan. That's just one smallish room, but I spend a lot of time there, especially when working. That's the only aircon used during the day.

At night, the tables are turned. While I'd be happy with a pre-cooled room, the overhead fan and a thin sheet, Mrs D-M likes the room cold with a thick duvet to snuggle under. This cropped up while I was chatting with some female colleagues recently and their reaction was along the lines of 'duh, why wouldn't she, so do we!'
This is the way
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The colder it goes I've found the higher the danger of very dry throats and subsequent colds. Daikin has a machine now where you can set your humidity percent and keep things as moist as you want. If they've done it I'm sure all the other big names will now do it as well. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

A/c as we know dries the air in addition to cooling it. I had exactly the opposite experience with Thai women. A long time g/f disliked a/c as she felt it dried her skin. So I could cool the appt before she arrived but not have it on when she was with me, she also used to say-- if you don't like our weather, why don't you go home. I would point out that I love Canada, but do use the heating when it is -20c outside.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

When we left Hua Hin in March and went to our house in Surin it was 6 degrees hotter at 38.
We only have air con in the master bedroom I only run the AC before taking a shower in that heat around four a day.
Or in the evening I will run the AC for a couple of hours make the room really cold about half an hour before bed time I switch it off and put the ceiling fan on and spray the room with mossie spray, when we go to Bed we just use one sheet.

The reason I don't like using AC is that it dry's my throat out really badly, so question for ya, if you put a bowl of water in the room would that help or not.

Richard another alternative to using the air con just get an Issan maiden to sponge you down hourly with chilled water. :mrgreen:

Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

When we used to come to Thailand on holiday, we'd set it to 16C. I always included pliers so that I could lower the temperature in some Isaan hotels who had removed the control knob to prevent people switching it too low :oops: . We nearly always went home with a cold.

Since moving here, my wife started on 20C, but I've gradually upped the temperature to 25C, which still feels cold at times. Apart from a few sniffles, we've been cold free. :D
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20