At what temperature do you run your Aircon?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Re: At what temperature do you run your Aircon?

Post by huahin4ever »

Big Boy wrote:When we used to come to Thailand on holiday, we'd set it to 16C. I always included pliers so that I could lower the temperature in some Isaan hotels who had removed the control knob to prevent people switching it too low :oops: . We nearly always went home with a cold.

Since moving here, my wife started on 20C, but I've gradually upped the temperature to 25C, which still feels cold at times. Apart from a few sniffles, we've been cold free. :D
Exactly my experience too. Started low but generally now keep it around 25.
YNWA
Kraka's Dad
Guru
Guru

Post by Kraka's Dad »

After coming here for 12 years we now set it at 25. When we first came it was 19 but that is far too cold now :-)

:cheers:
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Yes Kenny, a bowl of water does help but put it between you and the aircon, not off in a far corner somewhere. If a real bad problem an electric vaporizer is probably the best. In an emergency, the top sheet up over your mouth, or your face tented with the sheet works also. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

When I lived in Isaan we had no a/c so it was a wet sheet wrapped around like a sarong
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

26 or 27.
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

26 8) 8) 8)
GN.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I had dinner tonight with two Americans whose first intro to SE Asia was with theUS military during theVN war. They came as 19yr olds, straight from school,
We discussed this A/C topic and they related how in three years they werein a/c rooms for about 20 hours total and they talked of the misery of the heat and humidity in the jungle which was unbearable. Made me feel humble.
They incidentally almost never use a/C.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

oakdale160 wrote:I had dinner tonight with two Americans whose first intro to SE Asia was with theUS military during theVN war. They came as 19yr olds, straight from school,
We discussed this A/C topic and they related how in three years they werein a/c rooms for about 20 hours total and they talked of the misery of the heat and humidity in the jungle which was unbearable. Made me feel humble.
They incidentally almost never use a/C.

I would suggest they were nothing more than wet behind the ears kids that really didn't understand being in a theater of war they probably didn't understand anything related to South East Asia or the war apart from being very hot and humid.

A few days to a week you do get conditioned to your surroundings like them or not, done tracking through jungles in Asia and South America but not under fire.

Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

A few days to a week you do get conditioned to your surroundings
If you're speaking of acclimating, that's not true for everyone. The first two years I lived here, I was outside most of the time and only used A/C for sleeping. I never got used to the heat and humidity. At the end of that two years I would still be soaking wet and miserable after a few minutes outside... so I gave up and live my life indoors in A/C now. Some bodies just don't belong in this climate. :(
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

These past few weeks I find that after a couple of minutes outdoors I'm sweating harder than a bunch of BBC celebs from the 1970's locked in a schoolgirls dorm :naughty: :naughty:

My aircon gets switched on about 4pm in the main room and for a couple of hours in the bedroom. Set at 24c.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
TingTongJohn
Professional
Professional

Post by TingTongJohn »

First few days at around 21 in the evening for a bit to cool down in the bedroom and by the end of the trip about 23 again for the first bit of the night. If we get a good thunderstorm in the evening then I don`t even bother.
One word is not a story but it is the beginning and end of one.
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Post by Korkenzieher »

27 usually - I switch it on before going out, so the room is just a bit cooler than ambient when I get in. Very rarely click it down below 26. A lot of the time it is more 'fan' than air-con, just keeping the air moving. Compressor does kick in occasionally and often enough to justify not simply using a fan instead.
Had enough of the trolls. Going to sleep. I may be some time....
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

25° on "night mode" in the bedroom for a comfortable sleep, and the last few days had it on in the living room at 27° as I have been using the oven a lot and the room gets really hot, also during the day, around lunch time, I go in the bedroom to read and have it on 27°
but when the peak of the hot summer season is finished we only use it in the bedroom at night
chillax
Rookie
Rookie

Post by chillax »

25c

All night long to sleep and the same in the living room when watching tv