Video: Thai Buddhist Ordination

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
buksida

Video: Thai Buddhist Ordination

Post by buksida »

These are a great way to experience genuine Thai hospitality and friendliness, the day before boys are ordained to become monks there is a procession from the temple to the house which takes several hours during which the music rocks and the drink flows:

Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Re: Video: Thai Buddhist Ordination

Post by Big Boy »

Is this done at a particular time of year? We passed 6 of these processions (one near Bang Saphan) on our way to Krabi a few days ago.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

May seems to be more likely to hold ordinations and weddings, it is an auspicious month.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I also think it's done because of the start of the rainy season which traditionally is when monks sequester themselves to their Wats for 3 months or so. That is what the Buddhist holiday a week or so ago was about. I dare not quote the names as I always get them wrong. There is one at the start of the rainy season on a full moon, and one at the end of the rainy season with another full moon when the Monks are allowed to come out of seclusion. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I thought it was linked to them turning 20 years old rather than a specific month?
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

[quote="buksida"]These are a great way to experience genuine Thai hospitality and friendliness, the day before boys are ordained to become monks there is a procession from the temple to the house which takes several hours during which the music rocks and the drink flows:

Good rendering of Carabao by the mobile band. Would have even got my legs a-twitching. I just love these rural 'hit the road' dancing/drinking sessions. Later in the day...... "now what were we celebrating"?
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

prcscct wrote:I also think it's done because of the start of the rainy season which traditionally is when monks sequester themselves to their Wats for 3 months or so. That is what the Buddhist holiday a week or so ago was about. I dare not quote the names as I always get them wrong. There is one at the start of the rainy season on a full moon, and one at the end of the rainy season with another full moon when the Monks are allowed to come out of seclusion. Pete
I don't know why May would be a popular time for ordinations. But the Buddhist holiday the other week was Visakha Bucha which celebrates the birth, enlightenment and death (or passing to nirvana) of the Lord Buddha. Rains retreat begins with the start of Buddhist Lent which is 12 July this year. BTW 11 July is Asarnha Bucha and will no doubt be a no-booze-in-bars day. Maybe 12th as well.

Pete's right that monks are supposed to stay in their wats during Buddhist Lent. However they must go out each morning to collect alms. I believe they must remain in the wat after midday until next morning - unless in MV buying smartphones. Image