Too much insulting

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Pacman
Amateur
Amateur

Too much insulting

Post by Pacman »

I'm not trying to be troll here, but I and my girlfriend had very bad experience last night at Soi 80, there are plenty of bars with the ladies.

I and my girlfriend are selling a perfume as a part time job in the evening. Actually we are selling it on our Facebook page, but as we were looking for a new target customer, so we agreed to go down Bintabath Rd.. and Soi 81 where the bars are located. We have never insulting people who is sitting or working in the bars, but last night my thought was changed.

We met a Farang guy was sitting with the bar with ladies around him, and he didn't seem that he was drunk, I assumed that he was in good conscious and know what was he saying and talking.

He was seem interested in our perfume and he took the perfume tester to test on his arm like he would test until its empty, instead of talking about the perfume he was looking across my head to my girlfriend and being asked me.

'If I buy this and the girl for free!?!'

I was trying to be polite and patient as I respected him as a tourist and customer (instead of punch on his damn face and walk away as welcoming to Thailand), but the guy keep asking me the same question for twice. I said "No, sir." and then walked away from that nightmare damn place, I told my girlfriend it wasn't our target customer and it was not our place to go. I told my girlfriend on what the guy said to me and her. I have never ever insulting a foreigner and being impolite with them, so way they put us in such a bad position by insulting a Thai like me!!

I don't want the tourist look at all Thai girls are the same that you could claim them with your dirty mind. So, my intention to write this article is I would like all expat in Hua Hin and elsewhere to respect to our Thai people as same as we respect you.

Additional words: I didn't mean all of good expat as I know a lot of you are very kind and good person, except the man as above.

Best Regards

Remarks: Sorry for my English.
Last edited by Pacman on Fri May 09, 2014 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dalmatiandave
Professional
Professional

Re: Too much insulting

Post by dalmatiandave »

You just confirmed for yourself it wasn't your target audience and that should be good enough for you. You met one ignorant tourist, I really don't think it requires a warning for the rest of us on here. I would think the majority on here do respect the Thai, there will always be a few idiots who don't. I have a Thai girlfriend and I try to take her to places where she should be free from disrespect but it is not always possible and a bad experience in Hua Hin is always a possibility where single foreigners frequent.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
TingTongJohn
Professional
Professional

Post by TingTongJohn »

I am sorry about what happened. But you are wandering the bar area is not a good idea IMHO intent on selling something. Either the girls or their customers are your target group. People who go to have a few will say things stupid after a few not an excuse just reality and not the best place for a sales pitch. Don`t judge us all but one guy drinking in a bar please. In ending why are you surprised. Bar,idiot,drinking all mixed together sounds like trouble. Be safe and again sorry for your experience.
One word is not a story but it is the beginning and end of one.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

You do not go to places where people are 'relaxing' doing their own thing. People do not want to be bothered by salespeople in that environment. When I lived in the UK, the most annoying thing was telephone sales people ringing in the evening and expecting to do a sales pitch to a receptive person. Most people are not receptive to that kind of call. It's intrusive and the caller always got a piece of my mind.
There are times and places to sell your goods, and in the bars in a 'fun' bar area is not the place. If I was the owner of a bar where you were trying to sell, unless you had asked my permission, I would send you on your way.

Take the lesson.
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Post by Korkenzieher »

Well, I am not sure I agree with that - I am hassled by sales people in the bars all the time with everything from watches to rubber masks and DVD's. I would guess the guy who was un-civil was either because he thought it was clever, or he was drunk or whatever - but I doubt very much he would get away with it if he started verbals with the Thai watch sellers. And it isn't very likely he would expect to get the lady for free, if he bought a flower now, is it?
Had enough of the trolls. Going to sleep. I may be some time....
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

I accept that people ply their trade around open air bars and resorts and have often bought products from the sellers No different to the seafood sellers or rose girls that come round the pubs in the UK. It can be irritating sometimes when you are not in the mood for shopping but there is no need for rudeness. Certainly not as described by the OP. A smile and a "no thank you" should be enough to get the message across . If not I move on when the bar or restaurant does not control this.

Crazy 88
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

There are already too many people, most often Thais, peddling useless merchandise and souvenirs in the bar district. Many farangs, including the writer, are sick and tired of their approach and would rather be without them.
Bar guests may often be rude, especially after a few drinks.

Find another product and another venue.
A friend is only one click away
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Guys, Pacman was treated lousy, and shouldn't be.

He tried selling, and going to a place where he thought would welcome his product. As pointed out from a stool sitters view some of you don't like it, but there is no need for the treatment he received. Any vacation areas throughout the world have vendors that try to sell their wares to a tourist, they are trying to make a living. A "no thank you" should suffice, I have never had a problem doing that.

Pacman, as in any country there are plenty of idiots and a**holes, they are the exception not the rule. Sounds as if you experienced a true jerk!

Good luck with your business venture.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

Sure, Pacman was treated lousy, and shouldn't be.
But what can you expect from and area where people are interested only in booze and girls ???
Trying to sell something in the red area in company with a girl was not a good idea...
Pacman
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Pacman »

Thank you for all comments, at least I took that precious lesson and not being sick because of the rude guy I met. I and my girlfriend thought the place was find to spread our product brochure and make a sale, but we were totally in the wrong place.

Well, I know that the world is on both side dark and bright, so I don't assume that all people will be the same as the guy, but it could be like I won the power ball lotto as the guy I talked to and tried to sell my product he was the only first one I met him that night. And the way he responded to our smiling face and polite to introduce our product was that rude, I couldn't accept it especially my girlfriend.

It should not the way of gentleman act to the lady. I'm quite okay just now, but we were in emotional for the last couple nights and tried to figured out what was went wrong out there. Or it was just different culture.

Anyway, as I'm a Thai and also I always welcome all the expat, my post was just gathering your thought.

Thank you. :cheers:
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

dont let the a..hole get to you there is to many of them and life to short,give them a smile and walk
away hopping to find someone better next time.

:cheers: :cheers:
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Being in the 'bar-trade' I see it all the time..What is it with Farangs that come over here & just 'cos they have money for beer & 'lady drinks' they instantly think they're the Big I-am..?? :tsk:
Pacman here was only trying to sell his product the way he knew best & he tried to do it in a polite manner.. :thumb:
..Typical example is when you have ex-Pattaya foreigners in a bar here, then you're gonna have big-headed, clever t**ts, who will be generally be loud & opinionated, will be groping the girls while looking around for praise-worthy sexual comments from their mates..nuff said, rant over.. :tsk:

Pacman I wish you & your lady good luck with future sales.. :cheers:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I accept that there are many a-holes around. However, I still think there are better places to sell your wares rather than trying to sell to drunken prats. But if that's where you want to ply your trade then you have to accept meeting up with a-holes.
Pacman
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Pacman »

HHTel wrote:I accept that there are many a-holes around. However, I still think there are better places to sell your wares rather than trying to sell to drunken prats. But if that's where you want to ply your trade then you have to accept meeting up with a-holes.
Thank you for your comments. I'm not gonna be there anymore I have decided to keep on going to sell my product on the Facebook page as it was.

:cheers:
Pacman
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Pacman »

usual suspect wrote:Being in the 'bar-trade' I see it all the time..What is it with Farangs that come over here & just 'cos they have money for beer & 'lady drinks' they instantly think they're the Big I-am..?? :tsk:
Pacman here was only trying to sell his product the way he knew best & he tried to do it in a polite manner.. :thumb:
..Typical example is when you have ex-Pattaya foreigners in a bar here, then you're gonna have big-headed, clever t**ts, who will be generally be loud & opinionated, will be groping the girls while looking around for praise-worthy sexual comments from their mates..nuff said, rant over.. :tsk:

Pacman I wish you & your lady good luck with future sales.. :cheers:
Thank you for your comment. I and my girlfriend decided to sell only on our Facebook page.

:cheers: