Thai women posting 'food reports' online

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Thai women posting 'food reports' online

Post by oakdale160 »

Is this a typical Thai thing. I have a Thai lady friend, thai-chinese, we are very close but not'involved', we worked together for a few years. Mid/late thirties unmarried. She is in Chiang mai for 2 weeks at her parents. Every day she sends an email with 6-8 photos of what they had for dinner the previous evening, whether at home or in a restaurant, with a description of some dishes. No other news, no gossip, just this food report. Is this common.
sand_dancer
Guru
Guru

Re: food report from friend

Post by sand_dancer »

oakdale160 wrote:Is this a typical Thai thing. I have a Thai lady friend, thai-chinese, we are very close but not'involved', we worked together for a few years. Mid/late thirties unmarried. She is in Chiang mai for 2 weeks at her parents. Every day she sends an email with 6-8 photos of what they had for dinner the previous evening, whether at home or in a restaurant, with a description of some dishes. No other news, no gossip, just this food report. Is this common.
No idea if it is common or not....

My other half is also part Chinese...... and is constantly showing me photo's / dragging me to the TV to see something on some food programme or other..... But has never sent me an email containing food images.....

On receipt of next email...... Email back praising the food..... Telling her it almost makes you want to join her to eat.....

You might just get a surprise.....

:cheers:
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Re: food report from Thai lady friend

Post by SunandFun »

I think this is a current trend with Thais as a lot of my Thai friends do the same. This along with "selfie pictures" seem to be the latest. LOL
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Don't know about emails but me and my girlfriend are always taking photos of any interesting dishes we come across when out and about individually... but only if it's something particularly interesting or good; We don't photograph every meal we have though!
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

It seems every Thai lady just HAS to post a photo on facebook of the meal in front of her.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

I always take photos of the Food we are eating when out and post it on Facebook so my Thai stepdaughter back in the UK can appreciate what she is missing. Guaranteed to get a reaction too especially if I tell her how much it cost.
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

HOY CHAW PHU.jpg
KUNG OP WOONSEN.jpg
Here are 2 of my favourites :
TingTongJohn
Professional
Professional

Post by TingTongJohn »

Its funny now that you mentioned it some of my Thai friends(Yes I have friends) Are doing this all the time. A group of food selfies all the time be it Thai of other types of Food.
One word is not a story but it is the beginning and end of one.
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

Thais send me pictures of food through WhatsApp and Line all the time.
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Re: Thai women posting 'food reports' online

Post by Pleng »

I guess I must be the only farrang who does it :)
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

Pleng wrote:I guess I must be the only farrang who does it :)
I do it too, as you can see on a preceding post...
I even have a special file for my favorite dishes and best restaurants.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

A couple of months ago I asked my partner to send me a picture of some grass and trees that she had put in the back garden and half way through the sequence of pictures there were two of dinner, so I guess it must be seen as normal. I have to say that in general, a picture of Thai food looks more appetizing than my cheese sandwich that I'm having now.
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

FRIED SHRIMPS.jpg
STEVE G wrote:A couple of months ago I asked my partner to send me a picture of some grass and trees that she had put in the back garden and half way through the sequence of pictures there were two of dinner, so I guess it must be seen as normal. I have to say that in general, a picture of Thai food looks more appetizing than my cheese sandwich that I'm having now.
What do you think of that one ?
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

OK, let me ask the reverse question. Does anybody enjoy receiving multiple pictures of meals, often meals of no great significance or importance, from friends or even acquaitainces.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ Not really. I tell you though the wife and her friends do it all the time on their Facebook pages, especially if visiting a new restaurant or at a house party. It seems common practice and every post gets some comments. We do up a nice roast turkey around the holidays and that photo is always posted, and gets comments from every Thai she knows just about.....and in turn their holiday dinners come flying back on photos. :D The girls like to bake as well and every new creation gets photographed, posted and commented on.

A polite greeting between Thais is always, "have you eaten yet". With the importance placed on meals, eating, and the social significance of it all, social media seems to have given them an outlet to express themselves that they've never had before. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source