What are Thai political parties policies towards foreigners

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Re: What are Thai political parties policies towards foreign

Post by richard »

HHF

You are only an indigenous Yank if you have a tan, carry a tomahawk and wear a feather in your hatband otherwise you are descendants of Europe, Mexico, China or Africa
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Richard, you can make that argument about almost every country in the world except maybe a few in the middle east if you go back far enough in history.

You are not a foreigner if you are born in a country, no matter what your family heritage. My family came from Cheshire but if I go there, I will be the foreigner.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

hhfarang wrote:
You are not a foreigner if you are born in a country, no matter what your family heritage. My family came from Cheshire but if I go there, I will be the foreigner.
That is not quite true as being born here does not make you Thai. The nationality of your parents also counts as with most countries.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

^ Not in the U.S.. If you are born there, you are a citizen, not a foreigner with a few exceptions...

"In the case of United States v. Wong Kim Ark, 169 U.S. 649 (1898), the Supreme Court ruled that a person becomes a citizen of the United States at the time of birth, by virtue of the first clause of the 14th Amendment, if that person:

- Is born in the United States
- Has parents that are subjects of a foreign power, but not in any diplomatic or official capacity of that foreign power
- Has parents that have permanent domicile and residence in the United States
- Has parents that are in the United States for business

The Supreme Court has never explicitly ruled on whether children born in the United States to illegal immigrant parents are entitled to birthright citizenship via the 14th Amendment, it has generally been assumed that they are."
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Good job I said "most" countries as it is obviously not the case. I wonder if my son could claim US citizenship as he was most likely conceived there!

To get back to the topic.

Attempting to define who is a foreigner is fraught with misinterpretation hence an attempt to use it in a general sense in this thread for those who are not Thai nationals and predominantly non Asian.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

Lung Per wrote:I read some time ago that Suthep Bangtsuban - who is now trying to make a revolt in Bangkok - wants all foreigners (farangs?) out of Thailand. Mussolini said the same about foreigners in Italy.
2nd that, my Thai wife and her family are ardent supporters of Suthep.
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

Spitfire wrote:
What are Thai political parties policies towards foreigners?
I work at a university here and I don't see that competitive conditioning that I do see in some other local countries students. :cheers:

This is an interesting observation.

Having no statistics at hand but just from what I see in this country, in the UK and also in the US, it seems that the Chinese and Vietnamese immigrants are very hard working and competitive, I see businesses run by these when they are outside their own country of origin, not so with the Thais, appart from the occasional Thai restaurant.

I have often observed though what my wife's (and mine) nieces and nephew do for home work when they stay with us in BKK, the maths and other work leaves a good impression and they are dedicated to work hard. That is obviously not same as beign competitive. I have not asked yet what is the curriculum i thai 2ndary school and A - levels equivalent with regards to English, but that is what seems to be what has to be strenghtened, to improve their prerequisite for competing as a Nation.
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

Well, well now; You've got to go back a couple of hundred years. The indigenious population were Red Injuns, of whom only few are left - and stowed away in reservations. The non-Injun population are all immigrants coming from various parts of the world, henceforth foreigners 8) .
A friend is only one click away
buksida

Post by buksida »

I don't think you'll find a Thai politician alive who considers foreigners when trying to get into or keep their position. They will all pull out the nationalism card when seeking support, nothing like a good bit of xenophobia to rally the masses.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

buksida wrote:I don't think you'll find a Thai politician alive who considers foreigners when trying to get into or keep their position. They will all pull out the nationalism card when seeking support, nothing like a good bit of xenophobia to rally the masses.
........as it works for Putin these days
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

Frank La Rue wrote:
buksida wrote:I don't think you'll find a Thai politician alive who considers foreigners when trying to get into or keep their position. They will all pull out the nationalism card when seeking support, nothing like a good bit of xenophobia to rally the masses.
........as it works for Putin these days
And as it worked for Hitler, Mussolini and Putins predecessor, Stalin.
A friend is only one click away
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

1) If we cannot vote - surely not

2) If the Thais want control over the foreigner - surely not

I admit though, I have not explored the voting rights in Thailand for foreign residents, as little as my wife has explored her voting rights in Norway. She gets a card btw for election, as she has a personnel no in this country, but is not really interested in using it. Interesting, as there are wide differences between parties with regards to foreign immigration.
Admittedly, the plolitical discussion aorund out breakfast table is over Suthep an Taksin, not immigration in Norway
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Have a look at a previous thread " do foreigners get to vote in Thailand? "
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Post by Stargeezer »

My Thai family does enjoy my visits, so at least I do have a few people in the country who are
entertained by my differences. Like in any country I try to get the best value for my dollar or baht
and in Thailand I am able to get some great deals. Better if I get a Thai relative go out and buy the product for me.
As for the Political parties of Thailand, even my relatives have different views and oppinions. Some even support
the party in power. I have found that some of the Kids of some very rich people have a very different opinion than the
rest of my relatives. They live in a distorted world and have been spoiled from a very young age. They think quite foreign
from others in that they think it is great to go out partying with the other rich kids almost daily, and can not understand
that most other people of their age can not afford to even have a few drinks because of the cost.
As for the corruption, all countries have that in the political system as well as in business, some just learn how to hide it
and use their influence in other ways.
I do not think that any of the higher level politicians want to rid the country of Foreigners as there is still lots
of money being spent by them all, buying homes and cars and then maintaining the lot. That is not to say that some
of the politians like any of us farangs, but hopefully they are smart enough to tolerate us.
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Post by Stargeezer »

hhfarang wrote:
Is there really a country who likes foreigners ?
Canada?
I was born in Canada, my parents were born in Canada, and my grande parents were born in England and Scotland.
I may be a half breed, one half Scot one half English. But I feel I am a Canadian!
I know that it is not as easy to become a Canadian or come to Canada from Thailand as
I have a whole other story on that subject.
Stargeezer
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.