Thai I.D Card

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Thai I.D Card

Post by kendo »

My wife went to the office today to renew her I.D card that expired a year ago. She was asked why you have not renewed it,she replied "I not live here in Thailand" so a few more questions and a few jokes its almost lunchtime blah blah and sorted.

So my heads up are let your partners I.D card expire and do the same, an I.D card is a poultry 40,Baht greasing of hand for his lunch time feed was 100, Baht an I.D card is valid for five years my wife's is now valid for eight years.

It really is a no brainer in my opinion baht bus ride each way and the painfully slow official systems out here a little money done, and another three years of less bullshit to have to deal with on our holiday.

Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Re: Thai I.D Card

Post by Frank La Rue »

THis makes me start to wonder - when a farang takes up residence in Thailand does he/she get a personnel number the way my wife has a registered number in my country?

In case, yes, does a farang have to have an ID card as well?
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Unless you move to Thailand when you're a teenager, you'll probably be long dead before your application for citizenship is processed, and so long as you don't hold residency, the Thai authorities couldn't care less about you, so I'm afraid you won't be getting any sort of number. You will however either have to do visa runs, or report to immigration every 90 days. Other than that, you're on your own. :thumb:

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Frank La Rue wrote:THis makes me start to wonder - when a farang takes up residence in Thailand does he/she get a personnel number the way my wife has a registered number in my country?

Expats with permanent residence status do have a 13 digit ID number. They must also be included in a blue tabien baan. Additionally they have a small blue permanent residence booklet issued by immigration and a red alien registration booklet issued by the police. The latter is supposed to serve as an ID card but as it's larger than a passport I doubt that anyone carries it around. Driving licence is easier.

I believe that expats with a yellow tabien baan also have a 13 digit national id number. I think that if the tabien baan is used to obtain a driving licence then the id number will appear on the licence rather than a passport number.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

hhinner wrote:
Frank La Rue wrote:THis makes me start to wonder - when a farang takes up residence in Thailand does he/she get a personnel number the way my wife has a registered number in my country?

Expats with permanent residence status do have a 13 digit ID number. They must also be included in a blue tabien baan. Additionally they have a small blue permanent residence booklet issued by immigration and a red alien registration booklet issued by the police. The latter is supposed to serve as an ID card but as it's larger than a passport I doubt that anyone carries it around. Driving licence is easier.

I believe that expats with a yellow tabien baan also have a 13 digit national id number. I think that if the tabien baan is used to obtain a driving licence then the id number will appear on the licence rather than a passport number.
Re the yellow tabien Baan and driving licence you are correct, I've just checked both of mine and the driving licence does indeed have the ID number from the yellow book, whereas previously it was my passport number.