"Magical" Thai Buddhist Tattoos , why do older thai hate

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Re: "Magical" Thai Buddhist Tattoos , why do older thai hate

Post by richard »

Thanks GLC

We are all ears and await your profound explanation :thumb:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Remember this from 2011:

Thailand wants Buddha tattoo ban for tourists
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/ju ... dha-tattoo
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Chard wrote: I just simply wanted to know from a Farang way to look at it why the older hated it. Well, clearly this is not the forum to discuss, Meditation, Buddhism, dogs , nirvana or Trance in.

Too sad that there are so many close minded people put there.
You come here, wanting to get opinions. You got that, but they were opinions you didn't like. As you didn't like those opinions you claim those people who hold these opinions are closed minded.

Do I even need to point out the irony of holding the view that "anybody who has a view I don't like is closed minded" here?
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

STEVE G wrote:Remember this from 2011:

Yes, I remember it well.
Niphit Intharasombat, the culture minister, said residents have complained that tattoo parlours are etching sacred images of Buddha and other religious images on to the skin of non-Buddhist visitors.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

Siani wrote:
STEVE G wrote:Remember this from 2011:

Yes, I remember it well.

Niphit Intharasombat, the culture minister, said residents have complained that tattoo parlours are etching sacred images of Buddha and other religious images on to the skin of non-Buddhist visitors.
Chard wrote:

I just simply wanted to know from a Farang way to look at it why the older hated it. Well, clearly this is not the forum to discuss, Meditation, Buddhism, dogs , nirvana or Trance in.

Too sad that there are so many close minded people put there.

I don't think that forum members are "close minded" at all. In fact you will get a straight answer from them.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I'm happy to be accused of having a closed mind - its the only way I can get through the day job.

But to be brutally blunt, the OP comes across as, er, not my cup of tea! :)
Talk is cheap
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Chard........even someone like myself, who has absolutely no interest in religion, knows that the cornerstone of Buddhism is all about freeing yourself from the material world. Tattoos and amulets are NOT part of the religion, and in fact, the sport you practice is even further away. Buddhism in its true form would never condone any form of violent sport. Nonetheless, let's look at your question from a different perspective........

Have you ever seen a "respectable" Thai person (excluding a few monks) with all these tattoos? Take a look around you mate, and you will soon see that it's mostly the underprivileged, lower class Thais that have them. Go onto a building site, and you'll see many of the workers have "magical" tattoos. I'm not being a stuck up bugger, but if you see where I'm coming from, you'll know why many Thais will automatically look down on you, and being a Farang only makes it look even worse since they expect more from us.
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Takiap wrote:Chard........even someone like myself, who has absolutely no interest in religion, knows that the cornerstone of Buddhism is all about freeing yourself from the material world. Tattoos and amulets are NOT part of the religion, and in fact, the sport you practice is even further away. Buddhism in its true form would never condone any form of violent sport. Nonetheless, let's look at your question from a different perspective........

Have you ever seen a "respectable" Thai person (excluding a few monks) with all these tattoos? Take a look around you mate, and you will soon see that it's mostly the underprivileged, lower class Thais that have them. Go onto a building site, and you'll see many of the workers have "magical" tattoos. I'm not being a stuck up bugger, but if you see where I'm coming from, you'll know why many Thais will automatically look down on you, and being a Farang only makes it look even worse since they expect more from us.
:agree: I've even been told by a 'High so' Thai lady barrister that only the low in self esteem people get tattoos and that farangs with tattoos are considered macho seeking thugs or simpletons
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

richard wrote::agree: I've even been told by a 'High so' Thai lady barrister that only the low in self esteem people get tattoos and that farangs with tattoos are considered macho seeking thugs or simpletons
I know that you are not expressing your opinion but It’s a good job that you don’t live in Pattaya or Phuket. The bars are full of tattooed EX SAS who might not like the simpleton comment :laugh: :laugh: . Of course they can only get upset if they can read! :D
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
charlesh
Ace
Ace

Post by charlesh »

Yeah Bristolian especially since Thai tattoos (rawy sak) are apparently of Khymer origin and usually written (if authentic) in old Khymer script!!!!
And most ex SAS (if real) would be only too pleased to think that they are are thought to be simpletons as their personas have blended admirably into the main stream and as such will not be noticed ha, ha.
Arlo
Professional
Professional

Post by Arlo »

Takiap wrote:Chard........even someone like myself, who has absolutely no interest in religion, knows that the cornerstone of Buddhism is all about freeing yourself from the material world. Tattoos and amulets are NOT part of the religion, and in fact, the sport you practice is even further away. Buddhism in its true form would never condone any form of violent sport. Nonetheless, let's look at your question from a different perspective........

I don't know much about these tattoos and Buddhism so I decided to read a little. Here is a paragraph from one of the links I posted. Your question about seeing a respectable person with a tattoo might be answered here.

Thai tattooing has adapted to modernity with typical Thai finesse and subtlety. For those who fear that their tattoos may not be well-received in an office modeled after its Western counterparts, Thais may get tattoos not with the usual tattoo inks but with sesame oil. Or even no pigments of any kind. The tattooing implements, the designs and the mantras are all the same. The result, however, for all intents and purposes, is an 'invisible' tattoo, with none of the the visible stigma of a tattoo, but with all its magical powers to protect as an amulet and talisman intact.
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

Never mind banning the tats. Fisherman pants wearers with fake dreadlocks and juggling balls practicing tai chi on the beach should be first on the list to go in my book :wink:

Crazy 88
BingoBango
Banned
Banned

Post by BingoBango »

He is as genuine and real as the SAS in thailand. The ones who move up a rank with each
chang.
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

Chard, I think you may be in a state of some confusion.

You appear to have a large amount of pride; internalized pride (self-confidence) is acceptable and encouraged, externalized pride (self-importance) is an affliction.

You also appear to suffer from a degree of doubt and are looking for approval, keep in mind that when we plant the seeds of self-doubt, only noxious weeds sprout and that the only feeling obtained from seeking approval is disappointment when it is not forthcoming.

The dogs you appear to be helping do not need your help, they are sentient beings perfectly capable of living their own lives as they should without intervention. Your intervention is changing their cycle, without them asking you to do so. You remove from them the choice to bear offspring. You contain them until someone chooses to take them as a 'pet'. You judge those who would wish to look after them based on their material wealth. It is normal in the cycle, that when reborn, life is often short and this is particularly true when reborn in non-human form but as an animal you have little opportunity to willfully do wrong, this is the way of things, interfering with the cycle in order to do good deeds is not only unnecessary but harmful both to the self and others.
Remember, good deeds done under burden, or for reward, are simply deeds done.

Your tattoos, as you have said yourself, are for protection. Give up the notion that chants and charms can protect you or take you closer to where you to be, this is an illusion and if allowed to fester rapidly becomes a delusion. Only you can protect yourself and only you can take this self further along your chosen path.

I think you would benefit greatly from a visit to your teacher, explain your situation and allow him to guide you to the route back to your proper path.