When Soi Dog's Attack...

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
OscarMike

Re: When Soi Dog's Attack...

Post by OscarMike »

Super Joe wrote:'all' you wanted to do Mike then a bit closer to the truth would be that the 'treehuggers' wasted no time in advising you how to protect your property. Like normal people do... with a fence. Crazy88 even offered you a stack of free timber. But judging by your rambo-responses it seemed more like you were trying to increase the size of your own 'wood', by bragging about your 'brave' attempts to assault those nasty killer soi wolves... from behind a rifle, from behind the curtain of a bedroom. Only it got a lot smaller the more you cracked on :wink:

:cheers:
SJ
Superjerk, thanks for singling me out and enquiring about my dog problem - which I have now solved without resorting to enclosing myself in a hideous concrete fortress. Now why don't you post something constructive on this thread about dealing with dangerous dogs that nearly all of us that live here have suffered or fck off back to the obsessive nutters affairs section where you seem to be more at home.
Jimbob
Legend
Legend

Post by Jimbob »

soi dogs do some control. radical steps in bali
From Bali times 30/11/11
Authorities on Nusa Penida killed more than 1,000 stray dogs in two days this week after the island’s first rabies death, a man from Batu Kandik village, who died in Sanglah Hospital a week ago.

Klungkung regency animal husbandry chief Gusti Ngurah Badiwangsa said the mass cull was necessary because Nusa Penida – part of Klungkung – was overrun with wild dogs, many of which lived in remote hill country, inaccessible bushland and caves.

“It takes a long time to eradicate these wild dogs,” he said.

Badiwangsa said the cull on Wednesday and Thursday involved 20 animal husbandry officials from Semarapura, six provincial government officers, village leaders, village guards and local people.

It targeted nearly all the 16 villages on Nusa Penida. “The most intensive part of the operation was in four villages where rabies is a direct threat, Batu Kandik, Bunga Mekar, Sakti and Batu Madeg,” he said.

Rabies is believed to have reached Nusa Penida either through dogs brought from mainland Bali where the disease is now widespread and endemic or through a Nusa Penida dog taken on a trip to Bali and returning with the fatal virus.

The invariably fatal disease has killed 118 people since the outbreak was identified in the southern Bukit region of Bali in late 2008
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

OscarMike wrote:
Super Joe wrote:advising you how to protect your property... with a fence. Crazy88 even offered you a stack of free timber.
which I have now solved without resorting to enclosing myself in a hideous concrete fortress.
Mike, you can't even be honest with posters about the advice and offers of free materials you were kindly offered. You just threw it back in their faces then started a new thread with a picture of a gun in your OP. Act like a jerk and people will treat you like one. I get reated like one every day, but at least I appreciate why :laugh:

SJ
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Guns...they just should call them penis enhancers :guns: :neener:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Super Joe wrote: What next, guns for burglars - Definitely since they deserve a piece of lead in the ass, or ideally, in the head,

guns in the car for car-jackings... - Not in Thailand maybe, but try driving around in South Africa. With that said, the gas powered furnaces are more effective when it comes to car-jackings.

we can be like American's and shoot at our own shadows.

U.S. gun owners kill more family members accidentally in the home each year than they do... home intruders :bow: - Again, a very different picture in South Africa, where I doubt there are any accidental shootings between home owners, other than those involved in criminal activity.

SJ

BTW SJ, I don't advocate the use of guns. On the topic of Dawn.......she could do what she did for the next thousand lifetimes, and it would not make the slightest difference. Ask yourself honestly, is the stray dog situation any better in Hua-Hin because of her efforts? It's not, and it never will be, at least not in my lifetime. Does it bother me? Sometimes, but I was aware of the problem within the first fifteen minutes of being in the country, and I still decided to come and live here. I have other things in life to worry about, so as far as I'm concerned, if the soi dogs bother you, smack them, kick them, pepper spray them, drive over them, shoot them, or take them for a meal at Burger King - whatever you find most effective.

:cheers: :thumb:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Is that not just the responsible choice!? What next, guns for burglars, guns in the car for car-jackings... then we can be like American's and shoot at our own shadows. U.S. gun owners kill more family members accidentally in the home each year than they do... home intruders
Maybe those are not all accidents SJ... :wink:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
m_right
Guru
Guru

Post by m_right »

Where is Pepper spray available for purchase in Hua Hin?
"Religion is What Keeps the Poor from Murdering the Rich" -- Napoleon Bonaparte
advocate
Professional
Professional

Post by advocate »

I love dogs and have one myself.

However. I know of at least 5 Hua Hin expats that have come off their motorbikes after hitting strays, including myself. I broke my shoulder as a result. Injuries to other expats have included broken ribs, fingers, etc etc.

An expat in Mountain Village hit a dog about 6 weeks ago and died the next day from a head injury.

Some of the dogs are not even strays, but are allowed to roam by their irresponsible Thai owners.

My pregnant wife was attacked by the neighbors very large, muscular, and aggressive pit bull. Thankfully it was beaten off by some passing Thai workers armed with their steel hoes. This dog has attacked and killed 2 of the other neighors dogs and should never have been allowed to run loose. Someone else finally got fed up and poisoned it.

So yes, I like pet dogs but not wild feral mutts. How many more people have to be killed or injured before something is done? I am all in favor of a humane cull.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

However. I know of at least 5 Hua Hin expats that have come off their motorbikes after hitting strays, including myself.
Are dogs really that difficult to avoid hitting on a motorbike or is it that the drivers are not paying close enough attention? (not being argumentative; just an honest question)

Dogs walk or run out in front of my car all the time and a honk always sends the scurrying.

Maybe they should let loose a bunch of soi dogs on the test track at the bike driving license office and make sure the riders can miss them after a downing a couple of Changs. :wink:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
advocate
Professional
Professional

Post by advocate »

The dog I hit came running out of the jungle and straight under my front tire. No time to avoid hitting it. My friend hit a stray that ran onto the road from behind a garbage can. Any sudden swerving on a motorbike can be dangerous even if you don't hit the dog, especially in traffic, and especially given the condition of the roads here.

There are obvious public safety reasons why civilized countries no longer allow people to let their dogs run loose.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

^ Yes, makes sense.

In all honesty, driving a car here, I have much more stress trying to avoid bikers riding out of the jungle or from behind garbage cans than stray dogs. At least the bike riders should know better.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

advocate wrote:The dog I hit came running out of the jungle and straight under my front tire. No time to avoid hitting it. My friend hit a stray that ran onto the road from behind a garbage can. Any sudden swerving on a motorbike can be dangerous even if you don't hit the dog, especially in traffic, and especially given the condition of the roads here.

There are obvious public safety reasons why civilized countries no longer allow people to let their dogs run loose.
Never, ever swerve for an animal that rushes out in front of you.
I've been on the back of enough bikes to realise that if the rider moves we'll get hit by the bus behind.
Soi dogs - cull them :cheers: :cheers:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

advocate wrote: So yes, I like pet dogs but not wild feral mutts. How many more people have to be killed or injured before something is done? I am all in favor of a humane cull.
:agree: I don't think you'll find many people disagreeing with you on that.
This is the way
advocate
Professional
Professional

Post by advocate »

An expat was recently killed in Chang Mai after he swerved to avoid a soi dog and was hit by a vehicle. I agree, never swerve, unless you are the only one on the road. Even then, swerving and hitting a pothole could mean disaster.
Arcadian
Ace
Ace

Post by Arcadian »

[quote="Jimbob"]soi dogs do some control. radical steps in bali
From Bali times 30/11/11
Authorities on Nusa Penida killed more than 1,000 stray dogs in two days this week after the island’s first rabies death, a man from Batu Kandik village, who died in Sanglah Hospital a week ago.

Klungkung regency animal husbandry chief Gusti Ngurah Badiwangsa said the mass cull was necessary because Nusa Penida – part of Klungkung – was overrun with wild dogs, many of which lived in remote hill country, inaccessible bushland and caves.

“It takes a long time to eradicate these wild dogs,” he said.

Badiwangsa said the cull on Wednesday and Thursday involved 20 animal husbandry officials from Semarapura, six provincial government officers, village leaders, village guards and local people.

It targeted nearly all the 16 villages on Nusa Penida. “The most intensive part of the operation was in four villages where rabies is a direct threat, Batu Kandik, Bunga Mekar, Sakti and Batu Madeg,” he said.

Rabies is believed to have reached Nusa Penida either through dogs brought from mainland Bali where the disease is now widespread and endemic or through a Nusa Penida dog taken on a trip to Bali and returning with the fatal virus.

The invariably fatal disease has killed 118 people since the outbreak was identified in the southern Bukit region of Bali in late 2008[/quote

Would the decision to cull dogs be because it is a Moslem country and Thailand is Buddhist and therefore not done to kill creatures?