Hua Hin to Khorat

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
PET
Legend
Legend

Hua Hin to Khorat

Post by PET »

Can anyone suggest the best route by car and what road signs and town signs to look for. PET
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Head north out of Hua Hin, through Cha Am and on past Petchaburi following signs to Bangkok.
Before you get near Ratchaburi make sure you get on the Bangkok road again and head through Samut Songkhram until you get on the outskirts of Bangkok where you need to turn off onto the Eastern Ring-road, which is highway 9 for Bang Na and the new airport.
You now follow this road over the river and all the way up the eastern side of Bangkok heading for Wang Noi, but be aware there are a few junctions with construction going on where you have to follow the highway 9 signs to keep on the ring-road.
When you get way north of the city, about 270 km from Hua Hin you will hit a junction where you need to turn onto highway 1 signposted to Saraburi and when you get there you will need to turn right onto highway 2 which is signposted Nakhon Ratchasima and which will take you right to the centre of Khorat city.
I hope that helps you, but it is from memory and I hope someone else can correct me if I’ve made a mistake or add anything else they can remember.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Drove this as recently as yesterday.

Steve is right - but I personally am not keen on the A9 western ring road, can get pretty congested.

As an alternative:
follow Steve's instructions through Cha-am and Petchburi to the junction for Ratchaburi going straight on and the Rama II road to Bangkok going off to the left.
Head towards Bangkok, go past Samut Songkram and Samut Sakhon and keep heading straight till you get to the toll booths. Cross the toll bridge and follow the blue overhead tollway signs (heading in the direction of Din Daeng all the time). Go onto the overhead tollway at Din Daeng and stay on it until it ends soon after Don Muang Airport. Then follow the signs to Saraburi and Nakon Ratschasima as Steve says.

This route is very good and very quick as long as you don't use it during Bangkok rush hour.

If you plan to take this route through Bangkok between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m., you should have a clear run.

I got back from Korat City centre to Paknampran yesterday in 4 1/2 hours, for example.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Very many thanks guys - HHAD is such a great site. PET
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Barry, I agree about the highway 9 to the west, but I go around to the east now it's finished.The route through the centre works, but I always get hassled by the cops for something everytime I go that way.
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

STEVE G wrote:The route through the centre works, but I always get hassled by the cops for something everytime I go that way.
True.

One month ago I took Barrys route through Bangkok to Korat.
Was spotted and stopped twice by the lovely men in brown.
It cost me 400 Bt. + the usual motorway fee just to get through Bangkok.

On my return trip I used Steve's route and no tea money had to be paid.
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
ste860
Deceased
Deceased

Post by ste860 »

where ever you go on the expressways they have regular speed cameras now placed before the tolls,too late once you see it ,then as you go through the toll booth ,a lovely police man releaves you of your money,i never speed on express ways now other wise its a exspensive trip,good look,its a nice drive over the tops to korat especially near that big lake
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

I can agree with you ste860 about speeding on the toll ways and the Big Brother risk.
BUT, giving you a ticket just because you're a seemingly "wealthy" farang is outrageous and they are NOT lovely!!!
The police in this country are stealing money from you and that upsets me!!
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
ste860
Deceased
Deceased

Post by ste860 »

Norseman wrote:I can agree with you ste860 about speeding on the toll ways and the Big Brother risk.
BUT, giving you a ticket just because you're a seemingly "wealthy" farang is outrageous and they are NOT lovely!!!
The police in this country are stealing money from you and that upsets me!!
been caught twice now do the expressway at least twice a month,so now the loverly thai police force ,have not got me paying for their xmas parties
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

The bit to watch out for is the section near Don Muang, (the old airport) the express-way police HQ is nearby on the left and the crafty buggers put on an 80 limit with the illuminated signs just before a speed-camera opposite terminal 2.
If you get stopped and you haven’t seen a camera it’s worth challenging them because my partner has been to the police station and they didn’t have any photo; this didn’t surprise me as I’d been in too much traffic to break the speed limit.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

STEVE G wrote:If you get stopped and you haven’t seen a camera it’s worth challenging them because my partner has been to the police station and they didn’t have any photo
I presume your partners Thai though STEVE G, probably easier to get your wallet out if your Farang and without Thai personnel.

:cheers:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Yes, she has a brother who works for the police in Bangkok and she tends to have a go at them if they’re too blatant. Obviously you have to do this in the right manner but it works sometimes.
In this instance the guy wanted money for speeding but we knew full well I’d never exceeded the speed limit due to the traffic. He said if we didn’t want to pay him we should go to the police station where we could see the speed-camera photo.
It was nearby, so my partner went in with the vehicle documents and she said they just laughed when she asked to see the picture!
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

I travel the tollway route quite often on my way to Korat/Khon Kaen and am very rarely stopped by the police. Any time I have been stopped I have been guilty of speeding.

On a lighter note:
I was stopped about 80 km before Korat on Monday for doing 133 km/h, caught in a speed trap.
We all queued up at the table to pay the 200 baht fine - with proper receipt.
When I paid mine, I was asked by an officer whether I had a Nokia mobile phone. When I said yes, he handed me a hands-free device and asked could they photograph me receiving it. No problem, I answered. They were extremely nice and polite, explaining they were doing this to highlight the new law prohibiting you from using a mobile phone while driving.

I call that pretty good policing!