Ranong by bus

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Squid
Novice
Novice

Ranong by bus

Post by Squid »

Where does one get the bus to Ranong for the visa run?

What time do I need to be there to catch it in order to get to the Burmese boarder (that hut on stilts) on time?

How long does it take?

Thankyou. :)

P.S. No time to arrange any group runs as I have to go tomorrow morning.
Signature space for rent - contact: 07 888 6544
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Usually people take the 23.00 or 01.00 buses from the clock tower. They'll give you enough time to be back in Hua Hin in the evening. Never done it this way myself, though, so I hope somebody else will confirm this.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

This info may be too late for you - however.
There's a bus that leaves the main terminal in town at 7.40am. Get there early as there's no way to book ahead. I've never known it full though. Arrives Ranong around 6 hrs later - 2pm ish.
The motorcycle taxis are now attuned to what's happening and will take you to immigration, then to long tail boat, wait for you, back to immigration and then bus station for about 150/200 Baht.
As long as you don't stay too long shopping in Burma, you're back in time for Thai immigration. Can catch, say a 4pm bus and be back in HH around 11pm.
By the way, you have to go to the mainland now after the island, armed with your passport and receipt for 5 dollars. They don't stamp you at the island any more. Guess the Burmese want you spending a bit more.