Relocating out of Thailand for an extended period

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Relocating out of Thailand for an extended period

Post by StevePIraq »

I started this thread as I was tired of HH after 18 months here. By comments it seemed the Philippines was one of the best options away from here. However the storms they get hit with put me off.

To confirm that a friend who has a condo there recently contacted me to say his condo was destroyed when the last storm hit. He was on the eighth floor and the windows were shattered and almost everything he owned was sucked out of the condo through the broken windows. His insurance will not pay so he is in dire financial problems.

So the Philippines is definitely off my list.

Luckily I was able to get away for 2 months earlier this year.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

As a matter of interest what area in the Philippines is your friend located where this occurred please?
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

StevePIraq wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:47 pm I started this thread as I was tired of HH after 18 months here. By comments it seemed the Philippines was one of the best options away from here. However the storms they get hit with put me off.
So live somewhere with a low probability of typhoons. Somewhere with islands between you and the Pacific so there is no or no storm surge, only wind damage. But the typhoons with southern tracks aren't as strong. Mindanao has the lowest typhoon risk, but other risks keep most expats away. The Visayas has the next lowest risk. Plenty of expats in Cebu.

Historic risk map http://vm.observatory.ph/images/CW_hire ... yphoon.jpg
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Thistle wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:01 pm As a matter of interest what area in the Philippines is your friend located where this occurred please?
He didnt say in his mail but I seem to remember Lozon (spelling?) in a previous message, luckily he was working overseas when the storm hit.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Correct other than I think it is spelt Luzon
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

StevePIraq wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:34 am He didnt say in his mail but I seem to remember Lozon (spelling?) in a previous message, luckily he was working overseas when the storm hit.
There's his problem right there. Luzon is the typhoon target equivalent of 'Please sir, may I have some more?', or 'Hit me baby one more time', or 'Hit me with your best shot! Fire away!', or, well, you get the idea.

Most of the expats I met in Cebu lived there because it wasn't Manila, and far less danger from typhoons.
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

Okay yes,as Dannie Boy pointed out its Luzon,the largest of the Philippine Islands.
Once again,my reason for asking,is that i am currently in Philippines,i have lived and worked in numerous locations,
You made the comment about the storms,and what your friend experienced,well i was here when "Ompong" arrived its Philippine name ,"Manghut" in storm terms.I was in Luzon on the west coast,torrential rain and winds for approx 24 hours,,,,,,,,,,,same as what occurred in Manila,usual flooding,and thankfully no serious injuries or deaths.
You have commented that because of the weather you have decided the Philippines is not a good choice for you,are you not perhaps reading into others comments.Where in Luzon was your friends 8 storey condo? Apart from living/settling in the provinces such as Leyte and Samar the weather is and can be very similar to Northern Thailand.
Final comment,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,its the weather i am discussing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,not the plus/minus factors of living here in Philippines.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

This is a generality and will vary according to the specific region, but the Phillippines gets hit by far more extreme weather than Thailand does - I’m sure you could chose a region that is less prone than others, but it’s still more extreme than here (certainly in the HH area, despite the recent heavy rains).
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Other than a short visit, the Philippines is off my list now.