A short stay in Had Yai

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
buksida

A short stay in Had Yai

Post by buksida »

We decided to break the return journey from Langkawi with a night in Had Yai. Once through immigration and customs at Satun we were approached by a driver offering to take us there. Usually I ignore these bandits and head straight out of the terminal, this time though I stopped in my tracks when he offered a price of 700 baht for all four of us. I knew it was a two hour drive so shook his hand and jumped in, apparently he'd just dropped customers off so was going back anyway.

We booked the BP Grand Tower on Agoda and the price at under a grand was great for the newly furbished room.

Had Yai is a shoppers town, populated primarily by Malay and Chinese tourists. While cheaper than Malaysia it couldn't come near Langkawi for prices so we ignored the shops and sought out some local attractions.

Tripadvisor told us about an Ice Dome which was only a couple of kilometers north of town, I'd had enough of the frosty stuff in my lifetime but saw that it would be great for the kids so we rucked up with double layers and tried to find a tuktuk.

This is where the problems began as the taxi bandits in Had Yai made those in Penang look like Saints. The bastards were quoting 700 baht for a ten minute ride, even to a Thai when I insisted Mrs Buksi did the talking before I throttled one of the thieving gits. After about half an hour and several blocks later we finally found one that would take us to the dome and then onto a floating market for 400 baht.

As expected this place was dual priced but I didn't mind the 100 baht extra for the farang since mum and the kids were no longer being charged as foreigners now that we were out of Malaysia. Inside they weren't kidding it was frosty ...
DSC_0474.jpg
DSC_0477.jpg
DSC_0479.jpg
DSC_0492.jpg
DSC_0495.jpg
DSC_0498.jpg
DSC_0502.jpg
DSC_0513.jpg
DSC_0515.jpg
DSC_0518.jpg
DSC_0520.jpg
DSC_0529.jpg
DSC_0534.jpg
DSC_0535.jpg
You could only really spend about 45 in there unless you had balls of ice or were a Viking. Lenses started to frost so these shots came out surprisingly well. The kids loved it and I was reminded of why I left my homeland in the first place.

To follow: Had Yai floating market
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Re: A short stay in Had Yai

Post by PeteC »

That memory and experience will stay with those boys for life. My daughter had her first time in the snow in Japan this year and she's still fixated upon snow and the country.

The only thing missing in your photos is an ice bar serving shots of vodka in glasses made of ice. :D Believe it or not I think they have a place like that in Pattaya. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

You could only really spend about 45 in there unless you had balls of ice
I'm going to go live there if they will let me! :D :wink:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
heartofmidlothian
Professional
Professional

Post by heartofmidlothian »

Air con bills will be quite high! Amazing that you carried hooded jackets while visiting Southern Thailand and Malaysia.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

heartofmidlothian wrote:Air con bills will be quite high! Amazing that you carried hooded jackets while visiting Southern Thailand and Malaysia.
I would imagine that they have the jackets and warm clothing to hire at the place
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

hhfarang wrote:
You could only really spend about 45 in there unless you had balls of ice
I'm going to go live there if they will let me! :D :wink:
What about getting a job there as an attendant :D , vodka bartender :rasta: , tickt sales :popcorn: - whilst you have a house in the vincinity - air conned. It seems from the posts I have read it would aleviate a substancal part of your agony :thumb:
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
buksida

Post by buksida »

The coats were provided at the venue.

Here are some shots of the touristy night market we went to after ...
DSC_0538.jpg
DSC_0541.jpg
DSC_0544.jpg
DSC_0546.jpg
DSC_0547.jpg
DSC_0550.jpg
DSC_0552.jpg
DSC_0554.jpg
DSC_0555.jpg
DSC_0556.jpg
DSC_0557.jpg
DSC_0560.jpg
DSC_0562.jpg
DSC_0564.jpg
DSC_0565.jpg
DSC_0567.jpg
DSC_0571.jpg
DSC_0573.jpg
DSC_0574.jpg
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That's an interesting market. I've never seen one like that before. Was it only food?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

Pretty much, there were usual stalls and trinkets up on the bridge.