Short stay in Ranong

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
buksida

Re: Short stay in Ranong

Post by buksida »

Just had an over-nighter there so went to the hot springs, found a great little resort place right there for 450 a night. There is a hot floor with 'parking bays' for people so you can lie on it, good for back pain apparently - a decent jacuzzi and spa also.
DSC_6831.jpg
DSC_6842.jpg
DSC_6844.jpg
Hot Slab!
Hot Slab!
DSC_6847.jpg
DSC_6849.jpg
DSC_6857.jpg
DSC_6858.jpg
DSC_6870.jpg
DSC_6875.jpg
DSC_6883.jpg
Ventured into town after dark and there are 5-6 decent bars there, some with live music, beer was about 70 baht for a large one.

The road from Chumphon to Ranong is a bikers dream!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

A very nice report indeed. For the barchelors let me add that Ranong also has a nightlife. Not as in Hua Hin but a little bit is available in the open. Ask any Tuk driver for what you want but don't see.
A friend is only one click away
buksida

Post by buksida »

Spent another couple of days in Ranong, the town is growing on me! This time I visited the spa at the hot springs; two jacuzzis (hot and cold), sauna, steam room and all facilities for 150 baht - just the treat after the ride down!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
sean88
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sean88 »

[quote][/lomuamart The islands you mention are Koh Chang and Koh Payam. I love them both. Koh Chang is the smaller of the two and my favourite. It has no roads and just a few resorts which have a few bungalows among the cashew nut trees and they each have a restaurant and small shop. The ferry gets you close to the beach then you have to hop off and wade the last bit in. Perfect for re charging the batteries. Koh Payam is bigger and has a ferry pier. It is also very nice and you have the choice of luxury resorts or your cheap Thai bungalows on the beach.Some nice beaches and snorkelling to be had and hiring a kayak for the day is also recommended.
The ferries leave from the opposite side of the road from which the longtails go to Burma. About 1 1/2 hours for Chang and 2 and a bit for Payam
Well worth a visit
I used to go there for 3-4 days before my visa run was due and then when I returned to Ranong, hit immigration then would cross over the road, hop on a longtail and do the Burma run before heading back to Chumphon.
]

Hey thats a bonus if im I reading this correctly. Ive been to Koh Phayam a bunch of times. Its part of my annual Thailand trip. also have done the Andaman club resort twice, once from Phuket and another from Hua Hin. Can I get a longtail from the Koh Phayam/chang pier to Burma for a passport stamp. If so, How long does it take ? I was with my brother my first trip to that area. He did the longtail while I waited but it didnt seem to be near the Koh Phayam pier. Cant remember and I cant remember how long it took him.

I think Im gonna try Koh Chang this trip !!!

Cheers,
Thx in advance !
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

buksida wrote:Spent another couple of days in Ranong, the town is growing on me! This time I visited the spa at the hot springs; two jacuzzis (hot and cold), sauna, steam room and all facilities for 150 baht - just the treat after the ride down!
The place is getting to you Buksi! I could never understand why people tried to avoid staying over there to be honest. Quite apart from the hot springs etc it has a lovely little day market, and some small - but good - bars.
And personally I love the muslim influence. OK it's much more quiet than HH etc and the shops close much earlier, but for a break from the routine you can do much worse.
Another place which never seems to get much attention is HadYai, which has a thriving nightlife and some excellent live music bars.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Dianachris

Post by Dianachris »

thanks so much for finding this for me!!!! Pics look great..and I'll get booked in the hotel recommendations...we are going to hire a scooter,so can get around easy...the place I am going to stay on Koh Payam Sabai Sabai says we can take the scooter on the ferry? I know there are no cars on the island...?