Long term tick and flea treatment for dogs.

A place to discuss all things pets, vets and animal care.
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Re: Long term tick and flea treatment for dogs.

Post by Bluesky »

HHTel wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:26 pm
Likewise if your dog is infected with heart worm there are further risks.
Thanks for the info. The product is advertised as fighting against and a treatment for heart worm as well as mange!
I think you will find that En-Dex (Ivermectin) is not a treatment for Heart worm but rather a preventative. Heart worm is vectored via biting/feeding mosquitos.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

I buy the En-Dex 8000 pack of 10 pills at PetMak (Makro Hua Hin) for 150 baht. They also have En-Dex 4000 but I've never priced them.
musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

For the last 18 months we have not had any problem with ticks or fleas. We have 2 dogs ( Bull Terrier & Jack Russell ).
We took the recommendation of the vet at the Vet Hospital off Nong Plub Rd down from Elephant Village which was to put on both dogs a collar that would keep them away. The cost is quite high with the larger one at 1400Bht and the smaller (for JRT) at 1100bht and they are changed every 6 months.
These dogs have a large garden 2000sq Mt and go on two long walks each day through the surrounding pineapple plantations and other woods and lakes, so plenty of exposure.
Before buying these collars we had a problem with this subject but I guess one gets what one pays for.
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Thanks, Jesse, for that info. I've looked everywhere in HH and couldn't find it (well obviously not everywhere!)
I've tried the collars in the past and although expensive, didn't work at all for our dog. Must be different results with different dogs.