Where to buy a dog of decent breed?

A place to discuss all things pets, vets and animal care.
Luybusha
Rookie
Rookie

Where to buy a dog of decent breed?

Post by Luybusha »

I am new here.
We have moved to HH about 4 months ago.
English is not my mother tang. Sorry for the mistakes.
Does anybody know where to buy a dog of decent bred?
Tx
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Hi everybody!

Post by dtaai-maai »

What kind of dog? Big? Small? Guard dog? Pet? Do you have children? Dog to live indoors or in the garden?

The Grand Market and the Pae Mai market (next to the driving range on the canal road) both have breeders selling occasionally, but wherever you buy, make sure your first stop is the vet to have your puppy checked out.
This is the way
Luybusha
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Luybusha »

Thank you. Appreciate your help.
We currently have English spaniel, wonderful dog, but he gets to the age of 10. We thinking about dog replacement. Same breed would be nice to have. The overlap time for dogs much easier for the same breed.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

With the climate in Hua Hin I am nor sure that long haired dogs are the most suitable - this is the cool period which lasts a month or so and is now halfway through !!
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Spaniels are fine, plenty of them around. We have a retriever who lives outside and he has no problems with the heat. Friends of ours have huskies that seem to get by quite comfortably!

If you go to Bangkok, the Chatuchak weekend market is worth a look. Not that we were particularly impressed with the variety of breeds or the conditions.

You could try Google and see if there is a breeder in the general area.
This is the way
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Have a chat with Barry of Mermaid cruises (sponsor list)
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Luybusha
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Luybusha »

PET wrote:With the climate in Hua Hin I am nor sure that long haired dogs are the most suitable - this is the cool period which lasts a month or so and is now halfway through !!
yes, something like Kurtshar (SP?) might be better
Luybusha
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Where to buy a dog of decent breed?

Post by Luybusha »

Thanks everybody for the suggestions/
One more issue to check. Where people can get together to play friendly chess games with chess clock?
frank1957

Post by frank1957 »

depends what you want, I brought 3 big dogs over from the UK in July at a cost of £730 for all 3 with Lufthansa, maybe worth bringing a puppy over from your native country at least then you know what you're getting
Luybusha
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Luybusha »

frank1957 wrote:depends what you want, I brought 3 big dogs over from the UK in July at a cost of £730 for all 3 with Lufthansa, maybe worth bringing a puppy over from your native country at least then you know what you're getting
Yes, i think you are right. May be brining the dog with know pedigree is way to go.
Thank you
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Luybusha wrote:
frank1957 wrote:depends what you want, I brought 3 big dogs over from the UK in July at a cost of £730 for all 3 with Lufthansa, maybe worth bringing a puppy over from your native country at least then you know what you're getting
Yes, i think you are right. May be brining the dog with know pedigree is way to go.
Thank you

If you are willing to travel a few kilometers north of Hua-Hin, to Bangkok for example, you will find there are quite a few very reputable breeders in Thailand. I myself have looked into buying a doberman puppy, and I was amazed at the standards of the various breeders. Most of them import champion stock for breeding purposes, and one can actually go online and find proof of the number of international competitions these dogs have won. Local breeders also fly their own dogs overseas to attend shows and etc, so it seems pretty obvious to me that they take things very seriously indeed. Puppies of many breeds can be purchased in Thailand, along with legitimate paperwork. Obviously, you will need to get your wallet out. If you are only willing to spend a few thousand baht, well then as the saying goes....."beggars can't be choosers" :laugh: Then again, a puppy bred from champion stock, together with all the papers, is going to cost you a fair bit in your home country as well.

Not sure about other breeds, but a pedigree doberman puppy will set you back about 35,000 baht. :shock: No wonder I settled for a "Grand Market" rottweiler pup instead. Thankfully, she turned out to be a real gem.

:cheers:

PS: You can also find some really nice puppies being offered on the "Baht and Sold" website. These are usually being sold by Farang/Thai couples rather than actual breeders, so most don't come with papers, but the again, unless you intend showing your dog or using it for breeding, papers serve no purpose really.
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

When looking for a second Pug I checked the prices of some BKK breeders and the prices were well out of my pocket....50k+. Like Takiab I eventually bought a Grand Market Pug for 5k and he's turned out to be a real gem.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Luybusha
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Luybusha »

Takiap wrote:
Luybusha wrote:
Thank you

If you are willing to travel a few kilometers north of Hua-Hin, to Bangkok for example, you will find there are quite a few very reputable breeders in Thailand. I myself have looked into buying a doberman puppy, and I was amazed at the standards of the various breeders. Most of them import champion stock for breeding purposes, and one can actually go online and find proof of the number of international competitions these dogs have won. Local breeders also fly their own dogs overseas to attend shows and etc, so it seems pretty obvious to me that they take things very seriously indeed. Puppies of many breeds can be purchased in Thailand, along with legitimate paperwork. Obviously, you will need to get your wallet out. If you are only willing to spend a few thousand baht, well then as the saying goes....."beggars can't be choosers" :laugh: Then again, a puppy bred from champion stock, together with all the papers, is going to cost you a fair bit in your home country as well.

Not sure about other breeds, but a pedigree doberman puppy will set you back about 35,000 baht. :shock: No wonder I settled for a "Grand Market" rottweiler pup instead. Thankfully, she turned out to be a real gem.

:cheers:

PS: You can also find some really nice puppies being offered on the "Baht and Sold" website. These are usually being sold by Farang/Thai couples rather than actual breeders, so most don't come with papers, but the again, unless you intend showing your dog or using it for breeding, papers serve no purpose really.
Thank you for the valuable information. Special thanks for the site. Definitely will study that.
Happy New Year.
Best
Michael
Rider
Ace
Ace

Post by Rider »

Luybusha wrote:I am new here.
Tx
Ahh, just scoop up a soi-alley dog, free pet for life :D
Luybusha
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Luybusha »

Rider wrote:
Luybusha wrote:I am new here.
Tx
Ahh, just scoop up a soi-alley dog, free pet for life :D
Free cheese does available but only in the mousetrap :wink: