Animal Charities - Online

A place to discuss all things pets, vets and animal care.
Big Boy

Animal Charities - Online

Post by Big Boy »

Am I being harsh, or is it a scam?

I'm seeing a lot of Facebook posts recently looking for funding for a specific cause. The cause is always, there's a sick animal (usually a dog) somewhere, which will die if it's next treatment isn't funded very quickly. Somebody even tried to post one a few days ago on the Forum's Facebook Page, which I deleted.

These are very organised requests, and have Paypal accounts set up to receive the funds.

I have been known to support animal charity in the past, but as with any charity, I need to know the people/cause very well. If I want to help dogs, there are plenty locally that need money. I wouldn't dream of supporting these totally anonymous causes. At the end of the day, I have 3 adopted dogs, one of whom is quite ill - I wouldn't dream of making an anonymous plea to the world asking for cash to help my dogs - charity begins at home, and it is MY responsibility.

Are other people seeing the posts, or does Facebook have me tagged as a soft touch?

I'd just like to know what others think.

Has anybody contacted one of these charities? Sounds like a scam to me, but a shame if there's a genuine case.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Animal Charities - Online

Post by migrant »

I get requests from Head Rock dogs and have donated, but they are down the beach from us. It's a charity set up in the UK but run here for the care of soi dogs (or in our case, beach dogs). Maybe they have a million in a bank account, but they live very simple lives pledged to the dogs.

Saying that, I agree BB if I didn't know them I would not donate.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

IMHO there are probably some genuine cases, but too many people are after free money, so the genuine are suffering due to the scammers.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

80% of what you get on farcebook is a scam/spam or fake. Real charities will have real websites with real addresses and real people.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Too man orphanages for me to be worried about cute and fuzzy.

As stated, real charities have websites to research. FB / 'go fund'...... NO THANKS.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

migrant wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:51 am I get requests from Head Rock dogs and have donated, but they are down the beach from us. It's a charity set up in the UK but run here for the care of soi dogs (or in our case, beach dogs).
Used to be run by a former board member, Dawn.
วินเชนท์
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

VincentD wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:20 pm
migrant wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:51 am I get requests from Head Rock dogs and have donated, but they are down the beach from us. It's a charity set up in the UK but run here for the care of soi dogs (or in our case, beach dogs).
That's right, I had forgotten about that. First time I've heard about them in years. I wonder if Dawn is still involved?

Is their HQ now in Bang Saphan instead of Hua Hin? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

PeteC wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:25 pm
VincentD wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:20 pm
That's right, I had forgotten about that. First time I've heard about them in years. I wonder if Dawn is still involved?

Is their HQ now in Bang Saphan instead of Hua Hin? Pete :cheers:
I believe so Pete. There is a large kennel here even though the website says they are a UK charity. I haven't heard that Dawn was involved anymore but could be wrong.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Dawn now lives in the UK and is married.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

I've got two friends in my town that both donate to the Soi Dog Foundation.
Makes you wonder how many foreigners donate to these charities after seeing the state of these poor dogs.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Their biggest challenge IMO is getting them adopted. It seems they even have problems homing cute pups. Must be hell trying to home fully grown street dogs regardless of their temperament. I would think they have more success shipping them to families out of Thailand than in-country here. :(

I think the vast majority of the donations goes to feeding and housing them here, which could last for years, or their entire lives. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

PeteC wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:49 pm I think the vast majority of the donations goes to feeding and housing them here, which could last for years, or their entire lives. Pete
Yes, it is a task of extreme dedication. Soi dogs were cleared from our soi many moons ago, but there are many living nearby. People come around and feed the dogs at about the same time each night. However, they don't just feed them, they sit and play with the dogs every night. The dogs wait for them to arrive. Impressive to watch.

Points 48; Position 18
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

Vet costs must be massive too. They (soi dog foundation) do emergency care for wounded and sick animals. As well as vaccination and neutering programs.
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

in 2017 alone they did almost 54,000 neuters (sterilisations) of cats and dogs

also in 2017 treated 4123 sick and injured animals

691 dogs and cats adopted in 2017

total number of cats & dogs sterilised and vaccinated to date 238,553

I am a massive fan of their work.

To think just a few short years ago (around 2005ish) they were "only" neutering 1000 or so in a year, I found the numbers back then utterly amazing but what they have grown to is remarkable.