Terminal 2 LHR and Thai Airways

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Terminal 2 LHR and Thai Airways

Post by Khundon1975 »

Just a heads up to anyone flying Thai airways to BKK out of London Heathrow.

I had booked a flight through West East Travel for the wife and son 3 months ago and printed out e-tickets, which showed the flight was going from LHR Terminal 2.
As we are used to always flying from Terminal 3, I phoned West East travel and queried it and was assured that the flight was definitely leaving from terminal 3.

So, arranged for car to take them to airport and drop them off last night, so far, so good.
When she went into T2, the place was almost empty and she was told all Thai airways flights were leaving from T3! So she had to shlep all her luggage and our son, to T3.

I know, I know, I should have checked with the airline, but having already checked with WE travel, thought all was OK. Big mistake.

Apparently, Thai air is not due to fly out of, or into T2, until mid September. I wonder how many others have been caught out on this.

Memo to self, check the flight departure details, the day before we fly. :cuss:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Terminal 2 LHR and Thai Airways

Post by kendo »

That's noted as I always book through West East Travel.

Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

I flew back with EVA in mid July from T2. It was great as it was empty. In pristine condition and loads of check-in desks but no sign of any people.
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
pdm3547
Professional
Professional

Post by pdm3547 »

The other thing with Thai Airways is that they insist on seeing the credit card that the flights were booked with when you check in.

I made the mistake of booking flights for my son. When I realised that he couldn't have my credit card (logistical rather than trust reasons!), I had to hoof it into the thai airways office in London and get a form signed. It was all a big drama!

If you are booking flights for someone, better to give them the cash and let them book it themselves.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Don, I think your post has become confused, or you weren't listening.
I phoned West East travel and queried it and was assured that the flight was definitely leaving from terminal 3.
When she went into T2, the place was almost empty and she was told all Thai airways flights were leaving from T3!
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Big Boy wrote:Don, I think your post has become confused, or you weren't listening.
I phoned West East travel and queried it and was assured that the flight was definitely leaving from terminal 3.
When she went into T2, the place was almost empty and she was told all Thai airways flights were leaving from T3!
:oops: Sorry BB I meant that they told us T3 and that, was what was printed on e-tkt.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:wink:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

pdm3547 wrote:The other thing with Thai Airways is that they insist on seeing the credit card that the flights were booked with when you check in.

I made the mistake of booking flights for my son. When I realised that he couldn't have my credit card (logistical rather than trust reasons!), I had to hoof it into the thai airways office in London and get a form signed. It was all a big drama!

If you are booking flights for someone, better to give them the cash and let them book it themselves.
pdm3547

We have never experienced that before, all our flights over the years, are booked on debit cards not credit cards and we have never been asked for either at check in. Mind you, we normally fly EVA.

I booked flights for friends (not family members, both with different surnames) 7 months ago with China airlines and paid for them with my debit card. They had no problems at check in.

I suppose for Thai Airways, it a check that the person flying, is the person who paid for the tickets and if his passport was different to the info on their computers, it flags up on their system. Bloody inconvenient though.

:cheers:
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

kendo wrote:That's noted as I always book through West East Travel.

Kendo. :cheers:
Hi Kendo

What annoyed me with West East Travel, was that we had booked through them more than 20 times and they had our e-mail address for years. They must have known that the flight was leaving from T3, yet put duff info on TKT!
Surely, it would not be too much to ask for them to pop off an e-mail with the correct info to warn us.

Never mind, I have written a stern letter to my MP. :wink:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

richard wrote:I flew back with EVA in mid July from T2. It was great as it was empty. In pristine condition and loads of check-in desks but no sign of any people.
I'm not surprised, the new terminal 2 only opened in June! Actually Heathrow has got much better over the last few years, it used to be one of the European airports that I would avoid for a transfer but I've used it a few times recently and it was a pleasant surprise, one big improvement being the airside bus transfers that are now simple and efficient. ( A friends Thai wife got lost there for several hours once before they sorted it out! )
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

^^ I agree. Heathrow used to be my most detested airports in Europe but still with a home in the Thames Valley I didn't have much choice but to use it or face the dreaded M25 from Gitwack (Gatwick airport). HR has improved dramatically and the change to Terminal 2 for some international flights is only going to improve the situation. I also agree that airside transfers between terminals is now much better.

I have now elevated my previously #2 most hated European airport to first position. Fu*kfurt (Frankfurt). Unfortunately this is the closest airport to my parent company in Heidelberg and I need to transfer at this airport all too frequently. The distance between international and national hubs is beyond a joke. You need a minimum of 2 hours to transit and be sure of catching your flight. I am sure that some transit passengers have never emerged to the national hub or vice versa.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The Underground is still directly connected to LHR, right?
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

The underground is still connected. When in the UK I will sometimes drive to LHR and take the tube into the city, to avoid driving, parking, and inner city charges. Unfortunately it still stops at every station, at least the ones that I have been on, and it's a slow ride into the city. (Still better that the alternative of driving in my opinion)
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
pdm3547
Professional
Professional

Post by pdm3547 »

Khundon1975 wrote:
We have never experienced that before, all our flights over the years, are booked on debit cards not credit cards and we have never been asked for either at check in. Mind you, we normally fly EVA.

I booked flights for friends (not family members, both with different surnames) 7 months ago with China airlines and paid for them with my debit card. They had no problems at check in.

I suppose for Thai Airways, it a check that the person flying, is the person who paid for the tickets and if his passport was different to the info on their computers, it flags up on their system. Bloody inconvenient though.

:cheers:
Oh, I know. I've flown to Thailand 7 or 8 times with Emirates and Qatar and never had that problem before.

We're flying Eva when we come in October, and are looking forward to it - they have some great reviews!
albaker

Post by albaker »

Think you will find that most airlines require you to show credit card that was used for payment for tickets
We have used Thai , Eva Air , British Airways and Qatar , LHR-BKK , and paid by debit card and have never been asked for card at check in .
Thai will be checking in at terminal 2 from 28th August the delay was caused by concern over baggage reclaim after problems which showed up during testing prior to the opening .