Thai Airlines Luggage Allowance

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
ajmcmahon47

Thai Airlines Luggage Allowance

Post by ajmcmahon47 »

Hi guys, last time I flew from Aussie to Bangkok all the Thai Airlines info I could find stated that their allowance from Aussie was a pathetic 20kg. However at Bkk airport all the signs said Thai allowance is 30kg. Has anyone flown recently from Bkk or Aussie that can clarify this for me ? I've emailed Thai Air and all they sent me was a link to their FAQs .

Tony Mc
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Thai Airlines Luggage Allowance

Post by Dannie Boy »

ajmcmahon47 wrote:Hi guys, last time I flew from Aussie to Bangkok all the Thai Airlines info I could find stated that their allowance from Aussie was a pathetic 20kg. However at Bkk airport all the signs said Thai allowance is 30kg. Has anyone flown recently from Bkk or Aussie that can clarify this for me ? I've emailed Thai Air and all they sent me was a link to their FAQs .

Tony Mc
If you look at the Thai website, all international flights (other than N America) are 20 kgs for economy class, so I assume the sign at the airport should not be trusted.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

We're in the golf section so perhaps he is concerned about golf bags? Some airlines have an exemption or a special allowance for those I think? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
deepee
Guru
Guru

Post by deepee »

Not quite so , for some reason Thai Airways allows you 30 Kgs each . We always cart that and more to and fro Down Under . Expect they might even be more obliging now that most flights are not always full.
Complexity is so simply overrated
ajmcmahon47

Post by ajmcmahon47 »

Thanks , I can see you too have seen how confusing it can be. Yes it was my clubs I am concerned about as last time I left a few back home only to find signs at the airport Boasting 30ks is allowed.

Thanks Tony
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I flew Thai back from the UK last summer. Can't remember what the allowance was now as I was with my wife.
However I do remember that the charge for excess was 55 USD per kilo up to a maximum of 5 kilos if the golf clubs took you over.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Not sure about golf clubs, as I don't play, but Thai Airways baggage allowance for economy is 20kg. If you hold a Star Alliance silver card it increases to 30kg. There is a further increase for gold and platinum membership.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Yes, I've remembered that my wife and I were advised 40 kg for the two of us.
I have a set of clubs back in the UK and thought about bringing them over - friends had taken care of them for the past 16 years.
Thai staff told me over the phone to weigh our baggage as exactly as possible and see whether we were over. I made it that we had about 30 kgs including the clubs!! (Duh).
Eventually decided not to bring them as they're not as good as I have here and it was just as well because check-in made our weight about 37 kgs, obviously without clubs. I've have probably left them at the airport rather than pay the excess.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

The normal Thai airways allowance is 20 kg for economy, 30kg for premium economy and 30kg for business, very clear refer to the following link.

http://www.thaiairways.com/en/Terms_con ... olicy.page?
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
ajmcmahon47

Post by ajmcmahon47 »

Thanks for the tips guys. if I do leave some selected clubs back in Aussie, at least I can blame Thai for my poor performance on the course!

Tony
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

It seems inconsistent, I flew etihad to us, was charged for first bag going there, but not returning. I rarely check a bag and the charge reinforced my resolve not to do so again.