Post Coup Flight Deals

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post Coup Flight Deals

Post by kendo »

With this ongoing political unrest and almost imminent coup will their be some amazing deals on flights or will it have the opposite affect as some flights will be cancelled so less availability.
I can't remember back to the last coup in I think 2008 as my wife had already travelled back on her own as I could not get time off.
My gut feeling is to wait........Deal or no Deal.
Opinions please!

Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
PET
Legend
Legend

Re: Post Coup Flight Deals

Post by PET »

kendo wrote:With this ongoing political unrest and almost imminent coup will their be some amazing deals on flights or will it have the opposite affect as some flights will be cancelled so less availability.
I can't remember back to the last coup in I think 2008 as my wife had already travelled back on her own as I could not get time off.
My gut feeling is to wait........Deal or no Deal.
Opinions please!

Kendo. :cheers:
The Bangkok Post stated today that some airlines were cancelling flights. They mentioned among others Singapore Airlines and Cathay for dates from 12 -26 Jan and the numbers cancelled were large
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

I remember when the Yellow shirts took over the airport, I had book a week on Ko Toa Island at a pretty flash resort once the sh*t hit the fan I received an email from the resort giving me a 40% discount for the entire booking as long as I did not change my booking. On arriving the resort was almost empty.

Moral of the story is good deals are coming just shop around.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

StevePIraq wrote:I remember when the Yellow shirts took over the airport, I had book a week on Ko Toa Island at a pretty flash resort once the sh*t hit the fan I received an email from the resort giving me a 40% discount for the entire booking as long as I did not change my booking. On arriving the resort was almost empty.

Moral of the story is good deals are coming just shop around.
I believe that you are right for hotels and resorts but typically airlines reduce their own flights, increase code share flights and do not reduce prices unless it is hidden in a package price of flights + hotel/resort where the individual costs are hidden.

Therefore for tourists looking for a value package, deals are on the line but if you are looking only for cheap flights you may be disappointed. I really hope that I'm wrong as I need to buy some flights for my family in April :cheers:
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

I have got bored of waiting for a coup to happen so have booked flights for the 19 February.
Almost got three returns tickets with one stop with Etihad for £1371 but the promotion finished two days ago and my company delayed authorising my leave so I missed that one.
Westeast travel sorted my requirements with three direct flights Eva Air £1631 cracking deal.
Kendo. :D
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
Hobiecat
Professional
Professional

Post by Hobiecat »

Last coup was 2006. Get out while you still can. IMP.
Why is it called 'after dark' when it really is 'after light'?
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

Cathay Pacific cancelled my original booking to go home and put us on an earlier flight, same day. Fill one plane, don't run two partially full. Fare reductions are the airlines' very last option.
Happiness can't buy money
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Following on from my previous post here I have just booked another week long island holiday in Thailand for when I return and when questioning the rate I was asked where I was booking from, well I live in Thailand but did not say so, I advised I was in Abu Dhabi where I am visiting and I was immediately given a 45% discount.

Can't complain, my thanks to the Democrat party
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

StevePIraq wrote:Following on from my previous post here I have just booked another week long island holiday in Thailand for when I return and when questioning the rate I was asked where I was booking from, well I live in Thailand but did not say so, I advised I was in Abu Dhabi where I am visiting and I was immediately given a 45% discount.

Who did you book with?
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Dannie Boy wrote:
StevePIraq wrote:Following on from my previous post here I have just booked another week long island holiday in Thailand for when I return and when questioning the rate I was asked where I was booking from, well I live in Thailand but did not say so, I advised I was in Abu Dhabi where I am visiting and I was immediately given a 45% discount.

Who did you book with?
Ko Tao resort, Ko Tao Island, hope I spelt that correct, also just a big discount in Pattaya for the second week, not been there for years so expect quite a change.