Malaysia Airlines

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
PeteC

Malaysia Airlines

Post by PeteC »

I've never seen a post with someone talking about Malaysia Airlines. Per attached they seem to have some good prices, and KL is a cheap and quick 2,000 Baht flight if direct flights cannot be had from Bangkok.

Anyway, interested to hear pros and cons from anyone who has used them. Pete :cheers:

http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/th/en/d ... e-day.html
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Malaysia Airlines

Post by Nereus »

I have not used them recently, but when I did I did not have any problems with them.

It of course depends on just where you are going, but getting to KL and the correct terminal may well not turn out to be as easy as 2,000 Baht. The prices quoted on their website do not include taxes and state "from" 18,000 Baht to Perth for example.

I have just booked a return flight to Perth with Thai, as they are the only direct flight. The price was 22,500 Baht, which includes a meal and 20kg luggage.

Air Asia have a base price from Bangkok of around 17,000 Baht, but in does not include a meal or ANY luggage, plus up to 6 hours lay over in KL. :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I've used Malaysian before and would rate them similar to Thai Airways - not great but not bad.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote:would rate them similar to Thai Airways
That must surely put them near the bottom of the pile. IMHO the only things Thai has going for it is 34" seat pitch (if it is still 34") and flights to the UK are direct.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

It was a few years since I used Malaysia Airlines but as far as I can remember they where a quite decent airliner. The only bad thing I remember was that KLIA (airport in Kuala Lumpur) was ridiculous expensive. If you for example wanted to buy a bottle of water, you were recommended to visit Burger King... Another problem for us with KLIA was that they only seemed to have one smoking area so we had to take a train from our terminal to get to the smoking area... :shock:

Obviously, things can have changed now.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote:would rate them similar to Thai Airways
That must surely put them near the bottom of the pile. IMHO the only things Thai has going for it is 34" seat pitch (if it is still 34") and flights to the UK are direct.
I must admit that I haven't flown with Thai for a good number of years so maybe my recollection of their service is hazy, but I didn't find them that bad.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Used Malaysia recently both to and from Perth. Company paying and apparently a lot cheaper than flying THAI. Experienced both business and economy class and found it, as per an earlier comment, okay. Nothing special but efficient. Short transfer time in KL but the bags still arrived on the same flight as I did. For me a preferable choice to THAI from Perth if cost is a consideration.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Have only ever used Malaysia Airlines for short haul flights, but found them to be fairly decent. Reasonable prices and no issues with service - whether or not the same could be said for long haul flights is a different matter...... I simply don't have the experience.

One site which is always useful is http://www.airlinequality.com/

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Was talking to a friend yesterday who had used them to the UK about 4 months ago. He said they were 'fine for the money.'

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Just reading the reviews in pharveys link
Seats - old, worn out, tight leg space, very narrow.
That's certainly one to avoid for me.

Points 48; Position 20
ozuncle
Guru
Guru

Post by ozuncle »

Perth to Bangkok (return) in September.

Malaysia $902.60 return (via KL)

Thai $742.00 (DIRECT)

We have very little choice from here in Perth but I have always used Thai and found their prices and service quite good and the main thing is DIRECT.
Naturally prices are higher for holiday periods.
You only live once.