Flights to the UK

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
Dr Mike
Guru
Guru

Flights to the UK

Post by Dr Mike »

I am planning a trip to the UK in Oct, I have not done this for a decade. Can I get some advice.
I would like to fly into Manchester and return from LHR. if I search 2 one-ways it is much more expensive than a return to either one. Can I get a comparable fare flying into one place and out of another.
There is an airline listed, JET Airline, an Indian Company, I have never heard of them, I think they only fly to LHR.
Any comments?. Thank you.
lomuamart

Re: trip to UK

Post by lomuamart »

I'm considering Jet myself for a trip back later this month, mainly for price. I'll be interested in any comments also.
Also take a look at KLM who do fly to Manchester. I've heard that they have some excellent deals sometimes but I've not found them on their site yet. Someone said 28-29K return.
I'm not sure about switching the departure airport.
Big Boy

Re: Flights to the UK

Post by Big Boy »

Dr Mike wrote:There is an airline listed, JET Airline, an Indian Company, I have never heard of them, I think they only fly to LHR.
I think there is already a thread on JET somewhere on here. However, we flew JET when we moved here. The prime reason was their generous baggage allowance, and the secondary, but just as important reason was price - they were the only airline offering non-exorbitant one-way prices at that time (3 of us flew here for under £1000).

It is an Indian airline, which means you have to transit through Delhi or Mumbai, which is always an unpleasant experience. You are advised to check stop over times very carefully because some of the stop overs are outrageous.

Delhi or Mumbai aside, I couldn't fault them, and would definitely rate them above Thai (crap entertainment), British Airways and Qantas (both crap leg room). Service on board was fine (even with the best airlines, service always depends on the mood of the crew anyway)

My wife and I wouldn't think twice about using them again, although my son would definitely not use them because of his Delhi experience (a long story, that has nothing to do with the airline).
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Dr Mike wrote:I would like to fly into Manchester and return from LHR.
If you book early enough, you should be able to pick up a very cheap Heathrow to Manchester flight (or vice-versa), which will work out cheaper. They fly frequently, so should easily meet your schedule.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Dr Mike wrote:I am planning a trip to the UK in Oct, I have not done this for a decade. Can I get some advice.
I would like to fly into Manchester and return from LHR. if I search 2 one-ways it is much more expensive than a return to either one. Can I get a comparable fare flying into one place and out of another.
There is an airline listed, JET Airline, an Indian Company, I have never heard of them, I think they only fly to LHR.
Just as a guide I used dep date of 10 Oct and Ret 25 Oct flying into Man and back from LHR using Etihad and their price including tax was 40,000 baht which isn't too bad for a very good airline.

Didn't check with Emirates but they will offer the same combination.
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

Dr Mike, what you want is called a Single Open Jaw trip. Almost all airlines will sell you an OJ but not all of them provide the facility on their websites. Look for either 'Open Jaw' or 'Multi City' options, often in the 'Advanced Search' sections.
Try www.orbitz.com or www.ebookers.com, they are both powered by Orbitz but eBookers has different contracts with different airlines.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Good that you are starting to look now, it is so mean how they jack up the fares the closer you get to the dates.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

You can plug in your dates and desired route on the KLM website (www.klm.com) - using the same dates as DB, prices come out around 35K, so fairly similar...

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Dr Mike
Guru
Guru

Post by Dr Mike »

To F Hovis
No luck in finding how to request the Open Jaw alternative-- adding the price of 2 single journies gives a very expensive ticket.
I may try a travel agent-I am not in HH at the moment--anybody know the name of the TA opposite Mcdonalds and on the beach side of Burger King
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Western Tours.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

I often use the following site : www.opodo.com and have found very good deals
why not give it a try
:sun:
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

On the two sites I listed there is a 'Multi-City' option next to the Return / One Way options
On Opodo, there is a link under the destination airport 'Flying To' which says 'Multi-Stop Flights' and this allows you to create and Open Jaw itinerary.

Qatar's website has it as 'Multi-City'
Emirates has it as a link for 'Multiple Destinations/Stopovers'
Oman has it as a link for 'MultiCity'

You might not get these options from an IPhone App but you should be seeing them in a normal browser.
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

Ebookers has China Southern at 710GBP/34000THB, Qatar & BA are just a little more - Mid Oct for 2 weeks.

Use these search sites to find likely airlines, then check on the airline site where you usually get a grid of departure/return dates which can help find a cheaper flight if you don't mind flying on a Sunday or whatever.

British Airways pricing strategy can help you get cheaper flights, they generally release their lowest fares on Sundays and then increase the cost throughout the week, resetting them again on Sunday night regardless of bookings (evening in the UK).
Oman release their cheapest seats just three weeks before the flight.
Qatar are about 1 month in advance.

Don't be tempted to rush into the 'Only 1 seat available at this price', that doesn't mean the plane is full it only means that the block (of 9 seats) being sold at that price has only one left. The next block to be released may be cheaper. If you are flying economy, it is sometimes worth that little extra to book early so that you can reserve an emergency row seat giving you much more legroom and no-one in front of you.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Frank Hovis wrote:Ebookers has China Southern at 710GBP/34000THB,
Saw some good rates with them from Los Angeles, but have never flown them. Anyone tried them? :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.