Suvarnabhumi Airport - incredible queues at passport control

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
KateB

Suvarnabhumi Airport - incredible queues at passport control

Post by KateB »

Hi
We flew out of Suvarnabhumi last Sunday. Check-in was absolutely fine but then came passport control - the queue just to enter the passport control section stretched the length of the airport - seriously. It took us an hour and a half to clear immigration. Security wasn't too bad but that was probably because anything seemed relatively quick following the longest queue EVER.
Lots of people were panicking about missing their flights and once we got through to departures, airline staff were standing round holding 'Last Call' signs for about 10 different flights. People were running in all directions trying not to miss their flights. Mayhem.
I last flew out of there 4 years ago and it was much better - don't know what's changed and it may just have been a temporary blip.....just thought I'd pass it on in case it's ongoing.

:cheers: from the UK
PeteC

Re: Suvarnabhumi Airport - incredible queues at passport con

Post by PeteC »

It's been gong on for quite some time. We started talking about it on here last February. The News has been quiet lately, but your first hand experience tells me nothing much has changed. :( Pete :cheers:

http://www.huahinforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17274
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

It seems to be complete pot luck I'm afraid.
The last couple of times I've been through this year there has been minimal queing but I've spoke to others that have had similar experiences as those above. Actually coming in once this year, I walked straight up to a desk with no queue at all which was a first for me in Bangkok and I've been visiting since 1998. I've only once had to queue outside the passport control section itself going out so it's not a common occurance.
It probably happens if you hit a shift change, meal time, something good on the TV or something of that nature!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

What time was your flight KateB? I'm thinking that they may draw a lot of their manpower off of departures at those peak times when all the EU-UK flights are arriving....when is that....late evening I believe? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Well, my theory may be up in smoke. Check around the below link, both arrivals and departures. Seems that all the time is peak time now, except perhaps midnight to 0600. Pete :cheers:

http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/129
KateB

Post by KateB »

Our flight was at 9.55am on Sunday, we got there early, thankfully, as the traffic was pretty light, so joined the queue at about 7am. Now we know, we'll allow lots of extra time next time but it could have been a bit of a nightmare.....worth it though....we'd fly back tomorrow if we could! :(
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Thanks for the heads up. I'm flying out on Sunday 14th and will allow plenty of time.
A bit off topic but I've just realised that getting to BKK on that date after The Queen's birthday on Friday could well be a nightmare. I'll take a tent to Swampy. Can I bring in my own beer as Swampy prices are outrageous?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Can I bring in my own beer as Swampy prices are outrageous?
Family Mart and the Miracle food court on the mezzanine level between arrivals and departures for pretty much standard prices on a snack and Chang.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Ho ho. Sorted then. Chok dii!!
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Had some customers arrived last December off the Emirates A380..it took two and a half hours to clear immigration and baggage reclaim!..these 2 people were pensioners and all they wanted was to sit down a while.
On a praise-worthy note..I flew out 3 weeks ago, when I got to passport-control, because I am now partially disabled & need a crutch..I was surprised when an official-looking lady directed me to the very left-hand desk..specially for disabled folk, passengers with young kids, & a couple more categories ..I cannot
remember now..but I did not expect this at Swampy.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Yes, if you have kids with you you can get through a little quicker. Also, if you're traveling with your Thai wife you can go through the Thai passport control. :cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

Thanks for the info on Passport Control with my Thai wife. Should speed up our next trip a bit. Never knew I could.

Can I also enter country with her through Thai Immigration stations?
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

45 mins after landing at 3 pm. Could have avoided 35 of those if they put a sign up letting Thai nationals know where the lane was instead of letting them find out after a long wait. 36 Bt for a beer whilst waiting for a pissed off taxi driver that had been doing circles for an hour at least. Hardly a rip off compared to what I paid for a couple of soft drinks on the way out.

Crazy 88