Airport Body Scanners

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

scanners

Post by redzonerocker »

what is this bit all about ?? :shock: :?
As such it is calling on the Government to set out in detail its justification for bringing in the new security measure.
do they really need an explanation? :shock:
if so, they really do need to get out of the comfort zone of their plush offices & get back into the real world!!!! :roll: :? :(
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

having gone through the Heathrow Two Step over and over again on my way back - endless sodding checks, getting eyeballed by a bunch of paramilitary police for loitering with intent to drink a cup of coffee, questioned by a customs bloke as to why Im travelling one way to Thailand (answer: look around.... do you need to ask?)... boots on boots off beep beep boots on boots off (why are you wearing bike boots on a plane blah sodding blah)

GIMME THE BODY SCAN FOR CHRISTS SAKE!

:cheers:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

From what I remember about these latest scanners, they do not retain the image like a computer does, rather, the image clears every time someone is cleared and passes through.

If anyone objects to the scanner, such as a parent who objects to their child being scanned, or a pregnant woman, they can request a hand frisking. Don't know if I fancy some hairy arsed Group 4 employee shoving their hands down my trousers though. :oops:

I wonder if the scanner is powerful enough to see through a prosthesis, such as a hollow false leg, or would they have to be removed for closer inspection, while the unfortunate owner jigs around like a hop scotch player. :cry:

It may be that these security measures are a necessary evil and are going to be implemented, whether the travelling public it or not.

Personally, I don't give a dam, bring em on. :thumb:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

they use similar tech to the truck scanners at Dover so if they can see through a truck, a prosthesis wont be a problem.

One issue I do agree with is that the screens should be shielded and not visible to anyone except the staff member. Scanning should also be done by sex - one for men with male staff, one for women with female staff. It is an intrusive search, so should follow those accepted guidelines.

I still dont see an issue here....although I can bet that certain members of the travelling community will kick off about this.

:cheers:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

It occurs to me that you could make it even less intrusive by having the member of staff viewing the screen in an office at a different location who just activates a red or green light, then there would be no personal contact at all.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

I think that is how it works Steve.
charlesh
Ace
Ace

Post by charlesh »

Bleeding body scanners are also a failure! Bring on the Fred Bassets please!

Britain's intelligence agency MI5 has uncovered evidence that al-Qaeda is planning to implant explosives in its operatives' bodies, security sources have told British newspaper the Daily Mail.

Male bombers could have a plastic sachet of explosives (such as pentaerythritol tetranitrate, used in Semtex plastic explosives) inserted surgically near the appendix area or in the buttocks, the paper reported.

Similarly, female bombers could have the explosives implanted in the breast, just like an augmentation operation, the paper said, citing unnamed sources.

To set off the explosion, the bomber would inject a catalyst through the skin to the sachet, which could be done by posing as a diabetic, the paper said.

Full body scanners have been tested in major Australian airports and are due to be considered for introduction by the Federal Government.

But the machines would not detect bombs implanted in bodies or powdered explosives hidden in underwear, said Professor Williams, who is finalising a report on internal IEDs (improvised explosive devices) for American law enforcement authorities.

''Realistically, even the powdered explosives in the underwear is not going to be picked by body scanners,'' he said.

Professor Williams said explosive-detector dogs were cheaper than machines and the most effective form of detection, ''yet they're not being talked about very much, surprisingly''.

Perhaps sniffer dogs weren't being considered for passenger screening duties because of ''an element of political correctness'', he suggested.

Some cultures have an aversion to dogs, he said. In Islam, human contact with dogs is considered unclean.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

charlesh wrote:...Perhaps sniffer dogs weren't being considered for passenger screening duties because of ''an element of political correctness'', he suggested.

Some cultures have an aversion to dogs, he said. In Islam, human contact with dogs is considered unclean.
Poor misguided people. A dog's saliva is more bacteria free than a human's. I've got a suggestion for those who don't like body scanners, sniffer dogs or anything else. DON'T FLY! Ocean shipping needs a boost, book passage! :idea: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

scans

Post by redzonerocker »

prcscct wrote:I've got a suggestion for those who don't like body scanners, sniffer dogs or anything else. DON'T FLY! Pete
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

& for those that don't wanna fly but just like to moan & whine about human rights & stuff, STFU!!!
the majority of people aren't interested in all the petty HR waffle being spouted :guns:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

Basically if you have nothing to hide then whats the problem? and don't give me all that human rights s**t.

My human rights are violated everyday by having to listen to people shouting on their mobile phones, wearing offensive clothes, having beards, being religious and sneezing in my general direction... :cuss:

This country (UK) is rammed to the gunnel's with bleeding' heart liberals. And that in itself is a major violation of my human rights.

If its a choice between getting blown to smithereens at 33,000ft and falling to earth covered in piss and puke or some underpaid security guard eying up my baby-maker... :wink: then as far as I'm concerned there's no choice And if its shown on you tube and gives someone a giggle then even better.
www.35mmview.com
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

charlesh wrote:Perhaps sniffer dogs weren't being considered for passenger screening duties because of ''an element of political correctness'', he suggested.

My culture has an aversion to bombs, bombers and getting blown up.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Apparently you can train pigs and giant African rats to sniff for explosives as well, but I don't suppose that would be much of improvement.
In Israel they have even considered training goats to do the job, which should be more suitable as Arabs can be quite keen on goats.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:idea: Maybe they could train sheep for the Welsh :D

Points 48; Position 20
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

:lach: :lach: :lach: :lach: - So much for no one seeing them after they are viewed by security staff.
Thanks to the evening standard we can all have a laugh. Is that guy wearing a thong... :shock:

:lach: :lach: :lach: :lach: :lach:
www.35mmview.com
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Some interesting pictures on Google Images. :shock:

Points 48; Position 20