Hua Hin airport due for upgrade

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
PeteC

Hua Hin airport due for upgrade

Post by PeteC »

Hua Hin airport due for upgrade, Ratchaburi could get small one
Around Thailand August 06, 2018 12:45 By The Nation

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30351532

The Airports Department will spend Bt3.5 billion to upgrade Hua Hin International Airport over the next five years, the department’s director-general said on Monday.

Darun Saengchai said the upgrade was part of the “Riviera Thailand” and Southern Economic Corridor projects.

He said work at the airport would take four or five years and include enlarging the passenger terminal and building a second one.

The number of travellers using the airport is expected to increase by tenfold, to three million a year, within that timeframe.

Darun said the runway would also be extended, from 30 to 45 metres, and the hangars would be expanded.

The department was looking at building an airport in Ratchaburi for private jets, he said, mulling plans for both facilities and financing.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Hua Hin airport due for upgrade

Post by hhinner »

Wonder what market research this is based on. Better than when they extended the runway (to 30 metres :) )last time I hope.
The understudy
Ace
Ace

Post by The understudy »

The last time Hua Hin Airport had a major upgrade was at the turn of the Century. I remember it well because it’s the year I first attended Nearby Stamford U. My fellow past away Senior friend P’Prayat, May his beloved Soul Rest In Peace. Had worked as Assistant mamaging director at the Airport once. For a brief period,
Increase tenfold? Let’s have some regular scheduled flights to serve would be a good start. The past attempts where unsuccessful or let’s say utter failure.
What I didn’t understand will they extend the runway in length or in with to 45 meters.

Yes I am back
Your’s The understudy!!!
In Love with Hua Hin since 19naughty9 and it ain't fading!!!
(My fable for All Things Japanese knows no boundaries!) Proud Student of Stamford University Hua Hin Campus from 1999 to 2004 (5th Batch of Graduates.)
“Once you survive Stamford U Hua Hin Campus only you can survive anything!!!”
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

The runway will be widened from 30 to 45 meters
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The understudy wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:06 pm Yes I am back
Your’s The understudy!!!
Welcome back understudy. You've been away a long time - 3.5 years.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

The understudy wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:06 pmYes I am back
Your’s The understudy!!!
And it's good to see you back here! :thumb:
Talk is cheap
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Is this a chicken and egg question.
Should you enlarge airports to accommodate the existing flights
or Attract some flights and then enlarge to accommodate.
Do the airlines that have trialed HH and failed done so because of the airport or lack of passengers.
Guess the dream is direct Beijing and Shanghai to HH flights!!!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I'd be happy with flights from Hua Hin to other Thai cities. It would be a start. Larger runways won't attract more passengers.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Way back in the mists of time we used the HuaHin - Don Muang service and it worked well for our needs.
The airlines just can’t seem to get a service to stay long enough and it’s just a white elephant now.
Can’t see widening or lengthening it will make much difference if there are not enough paying passengers to keep small (40 seater prop planes) airlines interested.

Welcome back US, it’s been a while. 🤗
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

It's another typically Thai cart before the horse project.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Isn't the proximity of the Royal Palace and the fact that the flight path from the runway goes over it part of the reluctance to have more flights?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

oakdale160 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:03 am Isn't the proximity of the Royal Palace and the fact that the flight path from the runway goes over it part of the reluctance to have more flights?
This is an aerial view of the runway but I don’t think the buildings immediately to the left as you look from the sea are the Palace, so the runway doesn’t go directly over the Palace grounds, although noise would be a concern.
3C71141E-8270-427F-91D6-41A52C3D3E8C.jpeg
3C71141E-8270-427F-91D6-41A52C3D3E8C.jpeg (72.27 KiB) Viewed 1979 times
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

There’s no reason why aircraft would need to fly over the Palace. Noise abatement procedures could include circuits (patterns) that put all arriving and holding traffic to the north of the runway, which is a decent distance from the Palace.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

The flight path does not go over the Palace. In fact, the airspace is a 24 hour restricted space.
Runway 16 is approached from the north, and mostly in use as the take off direction also, involves a left turn away from the coast after airborne. The reciprocal runway is 34(basically in a northly direction), can be approached over water from the south, but has to be established well out over the water. In a normal landing pattern onto 16 from the south the downwind leg is well out to sea.

edit: To avoid flying penetrate Hua Hin Palace (VTR3) when VTR3 is activated, the inbound and outbound aircraft are not permitted of fly in the area beginning at 123659N0995904E 123500N1000226E then follow the arc 6 DME clockwise from HHN VOR/DME to 123414N0995213E 123621N0995446E and 123659N0995904E

https://www.caat.or.th/wp-content/uploa ... VTPH12.pdf
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I read this on another forum a short while ago giving an update about the Hua Hin airport expansion.

Posted 21 hours ago
Hua Hin Airport expansion to help transform sleepy resort into a truly international tourist destination

Often considered a quieter alternative to the likes of Pattaya, Phuket or Chiang Mai, the days of Hua Hin being known as a more laid back destination may be about to end.

On Saturday, Thai news site Talk News Online reported the Thai government has approved a huge expansion of Hua Hin Airport that will help to transform the sleepy resort into a genuine international tourist destination to rival other more established destinations in Thailand.

The approved 350 million baht expansion consists of two projects, with 250 million baht being spent to extend the runway in order bring it up to the standards required for large scale international air travel, while 100 million baht will be spent on extending the passenger terminal.

The project should take between 2-3 years to complete and once finished will enable Hua Hin to welcome not only more domestic flights but also international flights from destinations such as mainland China, South Korea, India and Hong Kong, as well as from other locations in ASEAN.

A fully operational international airport will be a huge boost for the economy in Hua Hin and neighbouring Phetchaburi province, officials said.

Under the now approved plans, it is understood the runway at Hua Hin Airport will be expanded by up to 45 metres in order to accommodate larger aircraft.

The parking area for planes will also be expanded. Currently the airport has capacity for two B737s but when the improvements are done it will have the capacity to park five B 737s at any one time.

The airport terminal will also be expanded to handle three times the amount of passengers it can handle currently. The present structure can handle only 300 passengers an hour - this will be trebled to 900 passengers per hour.

The expansion of Hua Hin Airport is a key part of measures to develop the whole area from Hat Chao Sam Ran in Phetchaburi down the coast to Chumphon.

The planned transformation of the coast has been dubbed "Thai Riviera" project - with the aim to the coastline becoming an alternative to more established tourist areas like Phuket in the south and Pattaya on the Eastern Seaboard.