Discovery of plastic-eating bacteria could lead to new ways to recycle

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
PeteC

Discovery of plastic-eating bacteria could lead to new ways to recycle

Post by PeteC »

Good news if they can speed up the way the bacteria works and actually put it in practice. 22nd century real results I think. Pete :cheers:

"A newly-discovered bacterium that feeds on plastic could help develop new recycling methods. The discovery was made by researchers from Japan, who say that the microorganism is remarkable for its ability to breakdown completely a common type of plastic known as PET. This digestive process is slow, and the short-term implications of the discovery are uncertain, but studying the bacterium — which has been given the name Ideonella sakaiensis — could lead to new ways to safely get rid of junk material."....

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/10/11194 ... terium-pet
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: Discovery of plastic-eating bacteria could lead to new ways to recycle

Post by hhfarang »

I read a scary book years ago about plastic eating bacteria and what could happen in our plastic dependent world when it spreads out of control. I checked and it's still available on Amazon.

My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?