Superest 'Supermoon' happens this Sunday (Thailand)

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
PeteC

Superest 'Supermoon' happens this Sunday (Thailand)

Post by PeteC »

"If the moon looks larger than normal Sunday, and you haven't eaten a bag of mushrooms on Koh Phangan, relax. Everything's fine.

The most stunning perigee full moon, or "supermoon" phenomenon of the year happens this weekend. Although it's not such a rare event, this weekend is the closest the moon will be to the earth until Sep. 2015.

During the "supermoon," earth's nearest celestial neighbor looks about 15 percent bigger and glows about one-third brighter than normally perceived....."

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/08/08/s ... ens-sunday
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Re: Superest 'Supermoon' happens this Sunday (Thailand)

Post by PeteC »

Bumping this one as appears it ill be clear tonight where I am. But.....I see a time of 0110 hours listed as moon rise?

EDIT: A bump too late it appears. It seems to have been at 0110 hours this morning, not this coming morning. Cloudy over here last night and this morning so seems I missed it anyway. :(
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

Huge super moon between clouds on the beach in Khao Takiap tonight.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Looks quite normal from my garden in Bon Kai :cry:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Only broken overcast in Bangkok just now, and the moon is directly overhead. It appears about normal, so maybe it has to be viewed as it rises earlier in the evening.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I guess so - I've seen some amazing photos of it on Facebook tonight.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I saw the moon at about 10pm tonight and it definitely looked a lot bigger than normal (and I hadn't been drinking).
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

prcscct wrote:Bumping this one as appears it ill be clear tonight where I am. But.....I see a time of 0110 hours listed as moon rise?

EDIT: A bump too late it appears. It seems to have been at 0110 hours this morning, not this coming morning. Cloudy over here last night and this morning so seems I missed it anyway. :(
Not sure where you got the time from, Pete. I think what you quoted was UTC / GMT.

http://www.timeanddate.com/moon/thailand/bangkok
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

It was certainly a lot bigger and brighter around 0530 this morning.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

sateeb wrote:It was certainly a lot bigger and brighter around 0530 this morning.
:laugh: Was there a 5:30 this morning?

Points 48; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^^^ I think you're right Nereus. I got it off some Thailand moon google chart and assumed it was Thai time as info was specific to here...guess not. We finally did see it between the clouds last evening. Pete :cheers:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

It is strange how some things stick in your mind. Who had ever heard of a "supermoon",
or a "perigee", when you were young?

I have an image in my mind that is as clear as a photo taken yesterday. I grew up on a farm and the moon was something that had a man in it, whom, according to my Mother knew everything, and also something a cow jumped over. The cow part was a bit of a worry, as I would either get blamed for it, or have to go and find the bloody thing.

Anyway, I must have been around 10 years old and looking at the image I still carry around, I remember remarking to my sister that: "this would be a good place to shoot a rocket from up to the moon". :shock:

Old age is a bitch! And sadly, my Mother, Sister and the farm are all gone. :(
Last edited by Nereus on Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Mostly what we already know, but one thing does stand out.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 45362.html

"The "Moon illusion" is what makes the Moon look enormous when it is close to the Earth's horizon. It is thought that the Moon is larger because our brains perceive it to be so. Why our brains make this mistake is a matter of debate. Some have argued that when the Moon is low on the horizon there are lots of objects such as hills, houses, trees against which you can compare its size. When it's high in the sky it sits in isolation and therefore looks smaller. But pilots flying at very high altitudes sometimes experience the Moon illusion too, without any objects in the foreground. In this case it is thought that the Moon appears larger because of the way we perceive the sky rather than the Moon itself."